Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I be worried?

Should I be worried?

Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice
Default Should I be worried?

I purchased a TV from Sears in the sale. When I went to collect it yesterday, I had no idea they had a policy which meant that they require you to bring your passport with you. As I didn't have it the security girl said there was a way around it. Later a man came back to check out the credit card that was used to purchase the goods, he then took an copy of it (by using some receipt paper and etching it onto the paper. So he has a copy of the front of my card, surely that is enough to do some damage? Should I be worried and cancelling the card?

P.S. Any know what the equivalent of Persil Non-Bio powder is here (going to eventually have to do some laundry)?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I be worried?

Originally Posted by ga1lf
I purchased a TV from Sears in the sale. When I went to collect it yesterday, I had no idea they had a policy which meant that they require you to bring your passport with you. As I didn't have it the security girl said there was a way around it. Later a man came back to check out the credit card that was used to purchase the goods, he then took an copy of it (by using some receipt paper and etching it onto the paper. So he has a copy of the front of my card, surely that is enough to do some damage? Should I be worried and cancelling the card?

P.S. Any know what the equivalent of Persil Non-Bio powder is here (going to eventually have to do some laundry)?
Taking a copy of the front of the card is no different than handing the card over for someone to swipe it - don't panic
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would they want to see your passport? Wasn't the receipt enough proof of sale?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in Calgary you can get Persil at Heritage Meadows shopping wotsit. There's a store near Ricky's that sells Brit laundry stuff.

There's also a Poggenpohl store near there - hadn;t seen them in Canada before. You'll be amazed by how small euro fridges and ovens are!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Why on earth would they want to see your passport? Wasn't the receipt enough proof of sale?
My guess is it was bought on a UK based credit card and the wanted proof of identity.

I was led to believe that Detergents are to some extent formulated for local conditions...to take local water hardness levels into account. Never saw the point of getting hung up on one brand, its all the same chemicals in them more or less. The cheap PC brand works for us anyway...

Last edited by iaink; Jan 6th 2010 at 8:32 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

It was indeed a UK card but they showed me the sign that said any TV pick-ups require photo ID and my passport is the only photo ID I have at the moment. They just didn't state that when I purchased the TV. I still can't see why they needed to take a copy of the front of my card, that is enough for purchases - It wouldn't be hard for him to have also noted the 3-digits at the back.

In terms of soap powder, I never worried about brands until I used one and it brought me out in what was like burn marks because it wasn't Non-Bio, something in the crap they add irritates my skin. Been looking at some but they don't indicate Bio or Non-Bio. Looked in loads of shops in Vancouver and seen no UK brands but it doesn't have to be UK, just a non-bio brand.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of soap powder, I never worried about brands until I used one and it brought me out in what was like burn marks because it wasn't Non-Bio, something in the crap they add irritates my skin. Been looking at some but they don't indicate Bio or Non-Bio. Looked in loads of shops in Vancouver and seen no UK brands but it doesn't have to be UK, just a non-bio brand.
Ivory Snow might be non bio..... when our kids were very young they were sensitive to some detergents (its the enzymes or something?) but that one was OK...

There is a hypoalergenic version of Purex too, might be worth trying.

Arm and Hammer brand detergents are enzyme free too if its the enzymes and not the perfumes that set you off.

This is a US site I think, but it has some usefull info for the canadian market too I guess...
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Last edited by iaink; Jan 7th 2010 at 1:03 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers, from what I remember from science classes (many moons ago) it is the added enzymes that determine if a powder is biological or not. So will look for one without them and test it on some socks or something, so if I do get a reaction it will be minimal.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:13 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

This is how credit card payments were taken prior to electronic methods - I wouldn't worry too much, I've had it done to me at hotel's in the States....
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:16 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

Tide Free works for me. I always thought that Canadian detergents were bio free. That's why there's no label stating it.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by G77
This is how credit card payments were taken prior to electronic methods - I wouldn't worry too much, I've had it done to me at hotel's in the States....
But it was already paid for...this was a copy taken upon picking up the goods...
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by pthom
Tide Free works for me. I always thought that Canadian detergents were bio free. That's why there's no label stating it.
Nope, just different marketing. Tide has enzmes in it and would be sold as biological in the UK.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 7th 2010 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:22 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

Really, thanks for the info.....just shows what we don't know!