Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I move to Canada or not?

Wikiposts

Should I move to Canada or not?

Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move to Canada or not?

Originally Posted by Oink
At 21 you should shagging anything and everthing that breathes. Plus, Canada is no place a 21 year old, even a Canadian one.
Shame hes not from Yorkshire as that statement would be relevant.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

I moved over to Toronto last Oct for my boyfriend and I am a few years older than you. It was a holiday romance/long distance thing that came about to be something more in about the same space of time you have been with your gf.

I was the one who moved as I didn't have a great paying job, I live with parents in London and was thinking of emigrating anyway. The main thing is I love my bf so to be with him, moving was the better option as I didn't have much to offer him in England. Also I am able to get the IEC and work on my own right before I apply for PR. I moved as a visitor as I missed out on last year's IEC quota, as being with him was the most important thing for us both. We had discussed how we imagine the arrangement's of living together would work financially and otherwise which helped before I made the move. We continue to do so since I have been with him.

I am lucky my OH has a good job in which he can support us both but now I have my IEC I am somewhat like you and want to find a office job and likely will start at the bottom again to get to my level. If you look around and are lucky there are simple admin jobs that pay £30K in TO rather than £18K in London.

What I'm trying to get at is that it seems the better option is for her to move as you have more to offer in regards to job security at least. I would ask what she hates about London and why she is not willing to leave there. I would imagine its more about leaving family and friends more than anything. Maybe its worth discussing if she will visit for 3 months in the summer when she graduates to at least try and see how she goes.

You seem very settled and giving up your job at this time in your life could ruin your future career prospects. If anything would you be able to ask for a sabbatical at work? That way at least you can secure your job while you would be in Canada? Just an idea to check the policy there. I am aware of people who worked for the government (police) that have taken year long sabbaticals to go on working holiday visa's.

It is a big risk for both parties but you are young and only live once and if you are in love its worth chasing as she may be 'the one'. I am a regret what you did rather than didn't do so for me I bit the bullet and went and I've not looked back since.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:52 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how serious the relationship is, starting all over again isn't that big of a deal if you're only 21.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
At 21 you should shagging anything and everthing that breathes. Plus, Canada is no place a 21 year old, even a Canadian one.
Oink you did it again!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

nbdonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for responding and giving some good advice/tips.

Just to clear the common law issue..If I go to Canada I will live with my Girlfriend for 1 year (possibly 2 years should I successfully apply for the IEC visa again). Therefore if everything went smoothly after 1 year I'd apply for PR.

I think I will tryto convince her to move to London for a year after she graduates. She just doesn't like the British lifestyle. In her words, poorer standards of living, how much smaller housing & accomodation is, weather etc. Also she finds it harder to make friends with British people since they are wired differently. It does seem the better option for the longer term but I really doubt whether she would make the move here.

On the surface it looks like a 'college crush' type relationship but I can assure you it's much deeper than that. We feel very much in love with each other and get on really well. (Sorry if this sounds cheesy). We've already been through so much and I just want to finally be together. Skyping, texting and facebook is just not the same.

I am very career focused and all I'm worried about is the job situation..more so than actually fitting in and adapting to Canada. I'm 50:50 on moving there and at the moment I'm just floating the idea on this forum in order to get some thoughts from expats who have actually been there, done that.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
ladies present
The same advice would apply to a lady in the same, ahem, position.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nbdonkey
I think I will tryto convince her to move to London for a year after she graduates. She just doesn't like the British lifestyle. In her words, poorer standards of living, how much smaller housing & accomodation is, weather etc. Also she finds it harder to make friends with British people since they are wired differently. It does seem the better option for the longer term but I really doubt whether she would make the move here.

Ahhh, the modern Canadian youth.... more concerned about house sizes than having a whale of a time in the greatest city on earth. Oh dearie me...

You need to take her to London for her own good. If you really love her, you'll drag her there by the hair if needs be.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I met my husband in Germany. I worked there he was on hols with the lads. After 1 year of flying back and forth I moved to Manchester, we had 2 kids got married and then he told me that he has no career perspectives in the UK and we need to move. I hated the thought, had lovely friends in M'cr and my family in Munich just 2h flight away. But we did move, I still struggle some days to adjust but that's just because Ottawans are not very welcoming. I now just gather Canadians from other Provinces around me and I am fine.
I gave up my job in Germany and although in England I could have worked in Canada it seems I'd have to redo my degree which is highly frustrating.
Yes houses are smaller in the UK but how much space does she need?
Common law requires 1 year of marriage like living together, joint bank accounts, tenancy agreement, life insurance in each others names etc. After 1 year she could sponsor you assuming she can support you financially in case you lost your job. You can't claim any benefits for a certain amount of time and if you split in the 2 years (???) following your PR, it'll get revoked.

You are 21 and have no kids so have an adventure, move and see, don't complain or blame her if you guys split in 6 months of living together and you end up without PR, a shitty job in Canada and your career in London is gone.

Or stay and tell her that job wise you've a lot to lose and she could come, live together, do the sponsoring and once you got PR you'd move over with her, then at least it gives you some sort of security to apply for any job without LMOs etc.

Either way "good luck!"
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:21 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for responding and giving some good advice/tips.

Just to clear the common law issue..If I go to Canada I will live with my Girlfriend for 1 year (possibly 2 years should I successfully apply for the IEC visa again). Therefore if everything went smoothly after 1 year I'd apply for PR.

On the surface it looks like a 'college crush' type relationship but I can assure you it's much deeper than that. We feel very much in love with each other and get on really well. (Sorry if this sounds cheesy). We've already been through so much and I just want to finally be together. Skyping, texting and facebook is just not the same.

I am very career focused and all I'm worried about is the job situation..more so than actually fitting in and adapting to Canada. I'm 50:50 on moving there and at the moment I'm just floating the idea on this forum in order to get some thoughts from expats who have actually been there, done that.
Comparing a student lifestyle with the one provided for her by her parents is hardly valid.

London or Toronto, I know which one I would chose if I were 21. Ask her to give it a try for a few years while you get more established and then look for a job in Canada. In the meantime the pair if you can enjoy London, you'll have Europe on your doorstep, do some fun young things and travel.

It's about compromise and it seems she is giving up nothing.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:28 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all....snipped the rest
Have you ever visited Canada yourself?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Comparing a student lifestyle with the one provided for her by her parents is hardly valid.

London or Toronto, I know which one I would chose if I were 21. Ask her to give it a try for a few years while you get more established and then look for a job in Canada. In the meantime the pair if you can enjoy London, you'll have Europe on your doorstep, do some fun young things and travel.

It's about compromise and it seems she is giving up nothing.
Me too!!!

It is about compromise although in long distance relationships one will have to give up a lot whereas the other gets to keep most but that's how it is.
I gave up my career for my husband's dream job because I love him and he promised that if I can't settle properly we'll move back and he'll find a less liked job but the main thing is we tried and we are together and happy.

What I find odd is that if she loves the OP so much and the relationship is so solid and she's ready with Uni but has no job yet, why won't she move for a year or 2? Small houses and funny Brits??????
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I think I will tryto convince her to move to London for a year after she graduates. She just doesn't like the British lifestyle. In her words, poorer standards of living, how much smaller housing & accomodation is, weather etc. Also she finds it harder to make friends with British people since they are wired differently.
You, my friend, are in a relationship with a 'cradle'...beware, tread carefully. Others on this site, will be able to give you their thoughts on interacting with the dreaded multi-generational dye in the wool Canadian.

All kidding aside, I hear these sorts of complaints about britain from by cradle brother in law....he's never been further than myrtle beach or gatlinburg and got nervous once in Hull (Quebec) when we were walking through neighbourhoods with people exclusively speaking french. He still thinks britain is full of toffy nosed gents in bowler hats, endless drizzle and fog and he thinks Upstairs Downstairs is a show about 21st century britain.

By wired differently, does she mean that canadians and brits have a different sense of humour? I agree with that statement, but in general, people are people, there are good and bad everywhere.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Stay where you are! In today's job market you are very lucky and will certainly not get lucky here! If she loves you enough she will move to UK even if it is only for a few years to see if you can make a permanent relationship work!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point

follow your heart not your head! Whats more important, money or being with the one you love? I know which one i would choose! xxx
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franfluff
follow your heart not your head! Whats more important, money or being with the one you love? I know which one i would choose! xxx
You're right, me too, the money every time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.