Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I move back to the UK?

Should I move back to the UK?

Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Zeppo595
I went back last time for about 6 weeks in 2017. I was also there in 2016 in the summer and maybe the Christmas of 2014 as well.

I don't intend to be a highschool teacher in the UK. I would use the PGCE to work in international schools abroad, if I did that.
Ah ok, then in that case I don't think you have a lot to lose from doing a PGCE, assuming the kind of roles you would want are available at the end of it. I know a lot of SE Asian countries that are heavily linked with the UK education system like Singapore and Malaysia hire British educated teachers. All the people I know who have done a PGCE have followed the usual British teaching education track though.

But ultimately it does have to be your decision obviously.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you getting your NPA fingerprint record now btw? I wouldn't have thought you'd need it until right at the end of the process. Did the IRCC ask you for them?
Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Zeppo595 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Ah ok, then in that case I don't think you have a lot to lose from doing a PGCE, assuming the kind of roles you would want are available at the end of it. I know a lot of SE Asian countries that are heavily linked with the UK education system like Singapore and Malaysia hire British educated teachers. All the people I know who have done a PGCE have followed the usual British teaching education track though.

But ultimately it does have to be your decision obviously.
From what I have read, the PGCE opens more doors than a masters degree is TESOL. And of course it does give you something you might be able to use later in life if you decide to go back to the UK.

I haven't decided yet, and finances will play a huge role in my ultimate decision, as well as the unpredictability of life itself.

I taught eikaiwa for many years and feel I could fit back into that work like a glove. My time teaching in Canada has made me appreciate that even many of the 'worst' teaching jobs in Japan provide you with a better quality of life overall than most ESL gigs in Canada. I didn't like many aspects of that work, and the feeling of it being the same forever and never climbing out of it was horrifying to me at the time. But life in Toronto put me down the ladder into mere survival mode, which makes the problems of a 'boring but safe' kind of job seem ridiculous in comparison.

Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Why are you getting your NPA fingerprint record now btw? I wouldn't have thought you'd need it until right at the end of the process. Did the IRCC ask you for them?
They ask for police checks for every country you've lived in. Yeah, I was asked for it as part of the application. I actually have a problem of sweating hands which means it's very likely my fingerprints will not be accepted.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

From what I have read, the PGCE opens more doors than a masters degree is TESOL. And of course it does give you something you might be able to use later in life if you decide to go back to the UK.

I haven't decided yet, and finances will play a huge role in my ultimate decision, as well as the unpredictability of life itself.

I taught eikaiwa for many years and feel I could fit back into that work like a glove. My time teaching in Canada has made me appreciate that even many of the 'worst' teaching jobs in Japan provide you with a better quality of life overall than most ESL gigs in Canada. I didn't like many aspects of that work, and the feeling of it being the same forever and never climbing out of it was horrifying to me at the time. But life in Toronto put me down the ladder into mere survival mode, which makes the problems of a 'boring but safe' kind of job seem ridiculous in comparison.
​​​​​​Yeah I have to agree with the other poster in this thread that your working life in Canada does not sound like it's been fun or even acceptable really, especially if you've had to live quite close to the breadline. I'm not sure why you would want to sign yourself up for more of that really.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Just a quick update.

I left Canada in August 2020.

I am currently registered to do a PGCE in September 2021. But I am having doubts. You know, covid and my life being miserable due to lack of social life or hope for the future.

I still teach online for the school in Canada and a few other platforms.

I am thinking of being a 'digital nomad' for a little while in countries cheaper to live than the UK.

But obviously this is the opposite of the stability type plan of being a teacher.

I may well apply for that masters in ESL instead of doing the PGCE. I don't know. I can't tell if I'm getting cold feet or just sick of being in this endless cycle of lockdowns or what this is. I just can't really see any of this being enjoyable. A really stressful intense course so I can get a ...really horribly difficult job. Maybe I just do the course but if I want to live abroad anyway, what am I doing this for really? I guess it looks good on a CV and some jobs require it. My mum said something about maybe being a supply teacher and obviously it means if I do go abroad again I'd have the option to come back.

Imagine if I live abroad again and it does not work out. Coming back home and living with family again? With even LESS job prospects? I don't know.

I would say that having family around (I've been living with my family since I came back) has been overall good for my mental health.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 11:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update.

I left Canada in August 2020.

I am currently registered to do a PGCE in September 2021. But I am having doubts. You know, covid and my life being miserable due to lack of social life or hope for the future.

I still teach online for the school in Canada and a few other platforms.

I am thinking of being a 'digital nomad' for a little while in countries cheaper to live than the UK.

But obviously this is the opposite of the stability type plan of being a teacher.

I may well apply for that masters in ESL instead of doing the PGCE. I don't know. I can't tell if I'm getting cold feet or just sick of being in this endless cycle of lockdowns or what this is. I just can't really see any of this being enjoyable. A really stressful intense course so I can get a ...really horribly difficult job. Maybe I just do the course but if I want to live abroad anyway, what am I doing this for really? I guess it looks good on a CV and some jobs require it. My mum said something about maybe being a supply teacher and obviously it means if I do go abroad again I'd have the option to come back.

Imagine if I live abroad again and it does not work out. Coming back home and living with family again? With even LESS job prospects? I don't know.

I would say that having family around (I've been living with my family since I came back) has been overall good for my mental health.
It's a big world out there... with lots of jobs, but teaching is a Vocation, not a job.. if it isn't your calling I wouldn't continue..
https://www.tes.com/en-ca/jobs/
Old Apr 20th 2021, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's a big world out there... with lots of jobs, but teaching is a Vocation, not a job.. if it isn't your calling I wouldn't continue..
https://www.tes.com/en-ca/jobs/
I don't know if it's my 'calling' that's tricky to say. I think I am suited for it in many ways.
Old May 27th 2021, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

I found myself in a similar situation.
I am pretty settled here in Calgary. In the UK, I had no real job prospects or career. Crap standard of living, not so great healthcare and lifestyle was not great.
In Calgary, I don't have a great career, but my standard of living is higher, lifestyle is good as I am by the mountains and healthcare is better. Housing was affordable, I bought my own place.

What I will say is, what type of lifestyle do you want? Now be careful, because you can't have everything. We are not getting any younger, at some point you will want to retire. You also want to enjoy life. So I say to people make a list of things you want and pick three. Start facing some of the problems you have and take ownership. Just going abroad is not going to solve your problems. In some respect ask yourself are you running away from them?
Working abroad is great, but what are your goals, what is the end game? I have a friend in HK that never faced up to this. She had a highflying job. Now she is technically homeless.
Work for the most of us is always going to be crap. But outside of that things are good. It about finding that balance.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Phil_Jude will become famous soon enough

I can't tell you whether you should move back or not, but, someone told me to give it 3 years before you feel settled here. I thought this was a joke until the 3 years passed by. I struggled for the 3 years wondering whether we had made the right decision to move from UK. We moved province from Saskatchewan to Alberta and in time we decided that Canada was the place to be and have now settled and bought a house here. We havr amaxing friends here now. It is a big shock when you move here and takes a lot of time for it to become home. The only thing i miss now are family and friends. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.