Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I ignore my UK credit card debt? Please advise

Should I ignore my UK credit card debt? Please advise

Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice
Default Re: Should I ignore my UK credit card debt? Please advise

I think you must contact the bank immediately. At the moment you are missing credit card payments, and the bank will be adding charges and interest to your credit card debts. That £10k you left behind will quickly tumble into £20k, £30k and beyond if you don't tackle this head on right now.

As others have said, with all the extradition treaties in place between Canada and UK, I wouldn't hold your breath about being anonymous or uncontactable, particularly as you've posted on a very public forum from Halifax, Nova Scotia...good luck...look this problem in the eye and sort it...
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:48 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crazydaving
As others have said, with all the extradition treaties in place between Canada and UK...
Extradition treaties? Are you suggesting the OP could be extradited back to the UK because of defaulting on a debt?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:56 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Extradition treaties? Are you suggesting the OP could be extradited back to the UK because of defaulting on a debt?
Now there's a thought.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:04 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

My brother ran away from his GBP16k of UK credit card debt to Germany for 2 years, I dont know why it was that long but I know it was strategic on his part.
Hes now back in the UK and hasnt mentioned it, maybe because he knows I thought he was a loser.
I have no idea if he got away with it or not, I shall ask.
Either way, I am sure he learn nothing useful from the experience about managing his money except how to screw over others.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:09 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crazydaving
I think you must contact the bank immediately. At the moment you are missing credit card payments, and the bank will be adding charges and interest to your credit card debts. That £10k you left behind will quickly tumble into £20k, £30k and beyond if you don't tackle this head on right now.

As others have said, with all the extradition treaties in place between Canada and UK, I wouldn't hold your breath about being anonymous or uncontactable, particularly as you've posted on a very public forum from Halifax, Nova Scotia...good luck...look this problem in the eye and sort it...
notice the OPs name is Scott from a previous forum ; just need to add your surname mate and the knock at your door will be imminent
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:14 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
notice the OPs name is Scott from a previous forum ; just need to add your surname mate and the knock at your door will be imminent
That's just nasty
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

Originally Posted by jericho
Ha ha no, I'm not. I meant in terms of ties between UK and Canada etc if the UK creditors wanted to take the OP to court etc.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I'm finding it difficult to empathise so would you mind posting scans of your CC statements so we can see what purchases you had to make - say 6-12 months worth prior to your emigration?
It's not his fault he ran-up such a large credit bill, prior to leaving the UK. It's all the fault of those big, bad bankers, tempting him with easy credit!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:16 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

A debt is a debt, whether to a bank, a credit card or a family member. Money lent in good faith should always be repayed. If not the whole world could end up in an economic crisis... Oh hang on?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:25 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clematis
A debt is a debt, whether to a bank, a credit card or a family member. Money lent in good faith should always be repayed. If not the whole world could end up in an economic crisis... Oh hang on?
Completely agree, and whether you look to move within the uk or emigrate abroad, money lent in good faith should be repaid, or at least an agreement made

Pot kettle springs to mind in my experience ( not referencing you clematis)
Old Jun 7th 2012, 6:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think this thread is daft because you can't explain how to do something which is by definition not what you're supposed to be doing. There are any number of ways to break or evade laws.

Having worked in the skiptrace field though many years ago now, what I will say is there a big difference between someone who is sat there hoping not to be found and someone who is actively trying to hide. If you're not making any effort, you will most likely be found if the person who is after you wants to find you. They may not. Who knows, up to them, but the banks in the UK are strapped for cash at the moment so I would say they probably will unless the debt is tiny.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 6:18 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Through no fault of our own we emigrated and unemigrated to Vancouver in a short space of time and it cost us everything we had. Dh is working his ass off to get the money together to get us back out there with him. We have some debts here in uk and will pay them off, maybe after we leave, but in the end, and we are making payments.
Hubby is missing out on his kids, ESP the baby, but it's the only honourable way to get what we want which is being together in Canada with a clean slate.
I know people who e gone bankrupt, and one who had an iva (BAAAAAAD idea, they are designed for businesses not people and are harsher than bankruptcy with pretty much the same long term financial consequences.

If you can afford the payments then make them, don't be a selfish ass.
If you can't afford the payments call them and explain, they will work out a plan you can afford.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 6:32 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
I know people who e gone bankrupt, and one who had an iva (BAAAAAAD idea, they are designed for businesses not people and are harsher than bankruptcy with pretty much the same long term financial consequences.
The Bankruptcy Vs IVA debate isn't an easy one and an IVA may actually be better for certain people

•Someone with a small income and huge debts, for example, could be better off entering into bankruptcy, rather than an IVA.

•But someone with a regular income could be better off opting for an IVA, rather than bankruptcy – as could a homeowner.

In a bankcrupcy you will more than likely lose the house, with an IVA it can be secured against it (a person who enters into an IVA has their house valued for a quick/as is sale so the value is greatly reduced to a 'normal' sale)
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:00 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

True there are swings and roundabouts but friend a had iva for over a year and creditors didn't see a penny, the management fee gets paid first, they were ridiculously strict about how much money a person could survive on with a small family and still travel to work, wouldn't allow parking charges for instance, she had to pay those out of her food allowance with small children.
She went bankrupt and judge ruled she had lived below the bread line and raised the amount if her income she was allowed. Her creditors eventually got back some of the money and she is now out from under just 7 months later, she also kept her house because she had equal equity and mortgage, she bought back the interest in the house for legal fees of £112.
Friend b, went bankrupt straight off (having spoken to our friend a) and had attached earnings for two years paid of roughly 30% of debt. Rest written off legally. 6 years after the bankruptcy discharged she will have a credit history again and nobody chasing for debts. Kept the house because they ask an estate agent to value the house, the agent need not know why you want it, if you tell them you need a quick sale and to value it at £x they will put that in writing to get the commission (that they don't get because you arnt selling)

Neither of these people caused the situations they found themselves in, and didn't skip out on the debts, granted some loss was made by the creditors, but they did it honourably.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:14 pm
I said what ?!

the management fee gets paid first, they were ridiculously strict about how much money a person could survive on with a small family and still travel to work, wouldn't allow parking charges for instance, she had to pay those out of her food allowance with small children.
I suppose it will also depend on who you use for your Insolvency Practioner (IP - company who 'manage' the IVA). The maximum per month a family of 3 can put forward in an IVA just for 'housekeeping' is currently £406. I am sure that a family of 3 can eat adequately on that amount.

This is in addition to the amount for Clothing/footwear, hairdressing, dental/optical, pet food/insurance and a whole host of things that can be used as outgoings against monies coming in (not including the usual of mortgage, rates, gas/elec, car insurance etc)

I suppose - and I'm not saying some companies or people would do this - if the IP isn't actully working for the benefit of their client then these receommended figures would be less.

Neither of these people caused the situations they found themselves in, and didn't skip out on the debts, granted some loss was made by the creditors, but they did it honourably.
Very true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.