Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I ignore my UK credit card debt? Please advise

Should I ignore my UK credit card debt? Please advise

Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:37 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I ignore my UK credit card debt? Please advise

Originally Posted by dollface
Is this still Wanda, or sausages we're talking about?
Sausage ??? We seem to have gone off on a tangent. I was talking about the nationality of the Debt Collector who knocks on your door after leaving the UK to live in Canada without paying off your UK credit card bills !
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:38 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
We seem to have gone off on a tangent. I was talking about the nationality of the Debt Collector who knocks on your door after leaving the UK to live in Canada without paying off your UK credit card bills !
but was he armed with sausages?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Headingforhalifax

My question: What will be the consequences of ignoring this debt?
None*. Go ahead, ignore it. If the banks were stupid enough to let you borrow the money in the first place why should they expect you to pay it back? We'll all chip in some to cover.

* this may not be 100% correct.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:43 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
None*. Go ahead, ignore it. If the banks were stupid enough to let you borrow the money in the first place why should they expect you to pay it back? We'll all chip in some to cover.

* this may not be 100% correct.
Should we chip in with the mortgage too? or just the debt?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:44 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

but was he armed with sausages?

Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Animal

Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Should we chip in with the mortgage too? or just the debt?
It is always prudent to start with the highest interest rates. But, once we have cleared the credit card debt we should see if paying the mortgage is proving equally inconvenient to the OP.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I do. I was a solicitor in England and am now a lawyer in Alberta.

I used to receive such instructions when in England (to sue people all over the world) and I made contacts with lawyers in the relevant jurisdictions.

Whether they will chase you depends upon the creditor. It is very cheap and easy for them to do so, despite what people on here will tell you. Between England the Provinces and Territories in Canada, it is very simple.

Ultimately, it is a judgement call for you to make.

Why did you not pay it off with the proceeds from the sale of your flat?
I'm with AC on this one. There are all sorts of treaties in place between the UK and Canada to tell me strongly that if you get away with it (which is what you're seeking advice on) it will be in spite of not because of your move to Canada. I'd try and get some financial and legal advice. Good luck.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is always prudent to start with the highest interest rates. But, once we have cleared the credit card debt we should see if paying the mortgage is proving equally inconvenient to the OP.
Good strategy
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:23 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, everyone slamming you. Should you pay it of - course you should. Could you get away with it - of course but asking on a site like this won't get you anywhere.

The key is, they have to find you but sounds like your trail wouldn't be too hard to follow.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Vicksy G is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an Australian 'friend' living in England for 3 years, she returned to Oz leaving behind a debt of 1000 pounds (overdraft) & the bank are still sending letters to the house where she lived 6 years later. Personally I couldn't live with running away from debt that I had brought on myself & would always be worried about getting nobbled for it. :/
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We are very happy here and will definitely not return to the UK.

Any advice and insight appreciated.

Many thanks.
Oh, to be so sure.

I would never purposefully bugger up my reputation and credit history - you just never know what is ahead.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
I have a couple of friend's working in the debt collection industry, one rather high up. Through conversation before they have told me of the statute-barred law. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ihtmanual/ihtm28384.htm
Not that I encourage such a thing, but it does exist.

In short, if you can avoid the debt for 6 years, without acknowledging it in any way shape or form, avoid making contact with the company or any affliates, the company may be barred from continuing to pursue the debt wtih you.
I vaguely recall reading something similar for student loans in Canada.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:35 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

I left London, England 20 months ago with my Canadian wife for a new life in Canada. I am a permanent resident here in Nova Scotia.

We are very happy here and will definitely not return to the UK. We have bought a home, etc and have bank accounts and a good credit rating.

We sold our UK flat and besides a few thousand pounds in pension savings, we don't have any assets in the EU.

I left behind about 10,000 in credit card debt, spread across Visa, Amex and Mastercard, with different banks.

Given that I'm 100 percent certain the banks I owe to will be able to easily track me down, is it likely they'll bother chasing me? There is a reciprocal agreement in place between the UK and Canada, meaning that in theory a UK bank could obtain a judgement against me and then apply for an order in my province. But are they likely to bother?

And if they do, what protection - if any - does Canadian consumer law offer me against a bailiff et al seizing our belongings?

I've researched this heavily on this website and while many people are saying it's wrong to ignore your debt and that the bank will come after you, I've yet to find even one example of someone saying they know someone who suffered an enforcement after permanently leaving the UK.

Any advice and insight appreciated.

Many thanks.
Maybe read some of this:
http://www.acitylawfirm.co.uk/creditor-debtor
Notice the bit about a reciprocal agreement with Canada
http://www.payplan.com/frequently-as...in-general.php
http://www.trustdeeds.me.uk/life-wit...ng-abroad/276/
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:58 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I'm finding it difficult to empathise so would you mind posting scans of your CC statements so we can see what purchases you had to make - say 6-12 months worth prior to your emigration?

I left behind about 10,000 in credit card debt, spread across Visa, Amex and Mastercard, with different banks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.