Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should I go through a lawyer or fill the forms myself?

Should I go through a lawyer or fill the forms myself?

Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:36 pm
tkl
Just Joined

tkl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I go through a lawyer or fill the forms myself?

Hi,

I am planning to apply for permanent residency in Canada. I have enough points to qualify in the skilled worker category.

I am debating whether to go through an immigration lawyer or fill out the forms myself and would like to hear what people have to say. What are the benefits of going through a lawyer? How much should I expect to pay? Any pitfalls?

I would also appreciate any recommendation for a good immigration lawyer in SF bay area US.

Thanks,
Himal
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:16 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should I go through a lawyer or fill the forms myself?

Originally posted by tkl
Hi,

I am planning to apply for permanent residency in Canada. I have enough points to qualify in the skilled worker category.

I am debating whether to go through an immigration lawyer or fill out the forms myself and would like to hear what people have to say. What are the benefits of going through a lawyer? How much should I expect to pay? Any pitfalls?

I would also appreciate any recommendation for a good immigration lawyer in SF bay area US.

Thanks,
Himal

If you have enough points - why go to a lawyer? It will just cost you more money.

However, if you haven't got the time (as it is a time consuming process) it might be money well spent.

BUT I have friends that spent GBP4,500 and it was not value for money

Clare
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:33 pm
Bud
Forum Regular

Bud is an unknown quantity at this point

From personal experience...what's worth doing - is hiring a lawyer to answer your questions on regulations etc but do all the documents and forms yourself. Noone knows your personal history better then yourself. Then why have someone else tell immigration how great you are if you can do it all yourself (saving some money in the process too )
Old Sep 26th 2003, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

it depends if you want someone else to do all the worrying for you, making sure your forms are up to date etc.

yes, it is expensive but it's also in someone else's hands, plus, if you have problems they'll be there to sort them out. they will deal regularly with immigration so should have a better idea of timeframes. they will also be current with all the developments and changes in immigration law.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by louisa
it depends if you want someone else to do all the worrying for you, making sure your forms are up to date etc.

yes, it is expensive but it's also in someone else's hands, plus, if you have problems they'll be there to sort them out. they will deal regularly with immigration so should have a better idea of timeframes. they will also be current with all the developments and changes in immigration law.
This is an interesting post I just couldn't resist responding to! The fact you pay someone else to 'do the worrying' for you is irrelevant. I can guarantee you will worry just as much..if not more as you don't actually have any control. We spent a fortune on a lawyer,(please search for my previous posts on this one) who couldn;t have been less helpful if he'd tried. He had absolutely no idea about timeframes as it became obvious that he had never represented anyone from the UK. Their standard of english was questionable, they didn't answer our questions, they incorrectly filled out our forms making us send the valuable cheque back and forth overseas several times. This actually compounded the worry as we were due to be assessed on the then new rules and would have been rejected. He gave us no level of comfort at all.

The upshot of this is that the forms are straightforward. What takes the time is the gathering of documents etc and if you know roughly how many points you can expect don;t bother wasting over £2000 plus. There are many good, knowledgable people in here including Mr Miller, Mr Humphries et al who willingly and freely help with all sorts of questions. They certainly gave me more information than my own lawyer.

Hope it helps you to make up your mind.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

no you cannot guarantee my emotions! i believe it takes away some of the worry.

you obviously had a bad experience, using a bad lawyer based in a different location. your decision. i advise doing research when employing a professional to represent your case.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by louisa
no you cannot guarantee my emotions! i believe it takes away some of the worry.

you obviously had a bad experience, using a bad lawyer based in a different location. your decision. i advise doing research when employing a professional to represent your case.
I'm sorry that you seem to think I was being mean, I certainly wasn't trying to be...really. Anyone can search back to see what a bad experience we had. Others who have posted have had good ones. All I was trying to say was that not everyone agrees on whether its a good idea or not. When your lawyer has all the credentials and is a member of all the orgs he's supposed to be, has thank you letters by the million and you still get a bad deal :scared: We did do as much research as we could at a distance but short of an expensive trip from UK to Montreal just to hire a lawyer (which as you say we should have done). The one piece of advice which came out loud and clear was that if you don't hire a canadian lawyer if things do go wrong then they can't get CAIPS notes or represent you at an appeal. As things were unfolding, we were part of the group affected by the new legislation/possible class action had we not had someone in canada. It was one of his 'selling points'.

Case of live and learn
Old Sep 27th 2003, 3:44 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default I can suggest someone....

Himal -

I've a suggestion. There is a chap who used to work for CHC in Europe. I've not used him but others have. All reports I've had of him are that he is very good, honest, sound etc!

His cases are on the basis of "no visa = no fee"

His name is Stuart Bennett - his email is [email protected]

Why don't you drop him an email and see what he says?

Clare
Old Sep 27th 2003, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

smokey, you read an awful lot into my message. i'm just representing my point of view which happens to differ from yours.

i don't think you were being mean, i realise that everyone is going to have a different experience, kind of the whole point of this, isn't it?

i have not read any of your other posts so am not familiar with your case so cannot comment on it.