Reload this Page >

Shopping in America

Shopping in America

Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

kingpenman1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shopping in America

Hi guys,

I am travelling to Barrie, Ontario in May to see a friend who lives there and i hope to cross the border at Niagara Falls and maybe do some shopping at the other side. I was wondering, as a temporary resident of Canada, when i re-enter if i would have to pay any Duty/Tax on any items i have bought?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping in America

Same day trip no personal exemption taxes applicable on all items though you might get away with $100 worth of goods.
Over 24 hours less than 48 hours $200 no alcohol or tobacco personal exemptions.
Over 48 hours $800 personal exemption including 1.14 litres spirits OR 1.5 litres wine OR a 24 of beer
200 cigarettes and 50 cigars and 200 grammes loose tobacco
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...2-3-1-eng.html
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Ok so what if the tags are off the clothes and just in luggage?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingpenman1
Ok so what if the tags are off the clothes and just in luggage?
Well I hope you have washed them several times so the tags at least look used and the clothes have been worn. There again lack of bilingual labelling and the CA identifier on the tags might be a clue the items were not originally from Canada.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Same day trip no personal exemption taxes applicable on all items though you might get away with $100 worth of goods.
Over 24 hours less than 48 hours $200 no alcohol or tobacco personal exemptions.
Over 48 hours $800 personal exemption including 1.14 litres spirits OR 1.5 litres wine OR a 24 of beer
200 cigarettes and 50 cigars and 200 grammes loose tobacco
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...2-3-1-eng.html
At this point it may be worth mentioning what you do for a living.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Sorry i dont know if i mentioned, i'm a British citizen on vacation, so i wouldnt have CA or bilingual tags.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If only a visitor and returning to the UK and the officer believes you will take the items back then no taxes are payable.
Temporary residents can be also those on work and study permits who are actually living in Canada albeit for a temporary time and they would have to pay if not meeting the personal exemptions for residents.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If only a visitor and returning to the UK and the officer believes you will take the items back then no taxes are payable.
Temporary residents can be also those on work and study permits who are actually living in Canada albeit for a temporary time and they would have to pay if not meeting the personal exemptions for residents.
Ok thanks, i'm only staying for 10 days, you think proof of my return flight home would be enough for an officer?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks, i'm only staying for 10 days, you think proof of my return flight home would be enough for an officer?
I have crossed over into Canada dozens of times. When asked what I am bringing into Canada my reply is usually 'nothing that I am not taking with me when I leave'. I have always found the officers at Niagara/Lewiston border crossings to be friendly and courteous. I would be more concerned about getting stuck in the traffic waiting to cross the border.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have crossed over into Canada dozens of times. When asked what I am bringing into Canada my reply is usually 'nothing that I am not taking with me when I leave'. I have always found the officers at Niagara/Lewiston border crossings to be friendly and courteous. I would be more concerned about getting stuck in the traffic waiting to cross the border.
Okay thanks very much.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Okay thanks very much.
You do realize that it's a 3 hour drive (depending on the border crossing time) from Barrie to Buffalo?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You do realize that it's a 3 hour drive (depending on the border crossing time) from Barrie to Buffalo?
Yes
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Good. Now assuming you'd be driving an average vehicle, that'd be about $50 in gas.

Let's imagine that prices are 15% cheaper for clothes in the Walmart in Buffalo compared to the Walmart in Barrie (I assume there is one there but I can't be certain), you'd have to spend at least $500 to make a saving. Plus, presumably the cost of another suitcase to take it all back to the UK.

Why not just shop in the UK in the first place?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Good. Now assuming you'd be driving an average vehicle, that'd be about $50 in gas.

Let's imagine that prices are 15% cheaper for clothes in the Walmart in Buffalo compared to the Walmart in Barrie (I assume there is one there but I can't be certain), you'd have to spend at least $500 to make a saving. Plus, presumably the cost of another suitcase to take it all back to the UK.

I'm not talking about palces like Walmart, more like Outlets with American brands such as Ralph Lauren and Nike which are considerably cheaper in the states.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not also have to pay the NY sales tax of 8.75%?

BC'ers have to pay the WA state sales tax, then BC taxes coming into Canada, so if you get dinged, that can be 20% sales tax, plus any duties if applied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.