Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

shoes and hardwood floors and tile floors

shoes and hardwood floors and tile floors

Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shoes and hardwood floors and tile floors

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Get it properly wet, and leave the wet there, and you'll find it disintegrates faster than something that disintegrates quite fast.
I'd worry about that if it was for the patio but, for the kitchen, I think it might be a good choice regardess of price (better than tile because things are less likely to shatter), price considered it's pretty hard to beat; worst case you have to spend another $100 to replace it.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:49 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought laminate was discouraged in kitchens and bathrooms as the humidity will cause it to expand / contract like crazy, and possibly warp. Still, $100 was a bargain. If you dont plan staying there then its no big deal!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I thought laminate was discouraged in kitchens and bathrooms as the humidity will cause it to expand / contract like crazy, and possibly warp. Still, $100 was a bargain. If you dont plan staying there then its no big deal!
When I put it down there was no plan to move (at least I was unaware that we were going to move). IKEA had it by the checkout, like Mars bars at a supermarket. Given the state of the lino it was irresistable.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:12 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
When I put it down there was no plan to move (at least I was unaware that we were going to move).
Oh, I've got like that at home.

I got seriously stiffed recently. The $15 silver ring she picked off a stall in the Byward Market wasn't, as I thought, her official "wedding ring". It was merely a template. She was straight into a jeweller's. "Make me this in white and yellow gold". I didn't see it coming. I may have to marry the bint after all.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Oh, I've got like that at home.

I got seriously stiffed recently. The $15 silver ring she picked off a stall in the Byward Market wasn't, as I thought, her official "wedding ring". It was merely a template. She was straight into a jeweller's. "Make me this in white and yellow gold". I didn't see it coming. I may have to marry the bint after all.
I would be happy to let optimism triumph over experience but apparently some partners at Epstein Cole still have children who haven't finished college.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:23 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

I wonder if born and bred Canucks would spend two pages arguing about the appropriateness of taking your shoes off at the door

.. sign of some British need to be polite? or just some kind of compulsion

... got to take your clodhoppers off in my parents' 3-bed semi in the Midlands too btw... and my mates', even my friend's student digs in Liverpool.

I guess it must be a personal thing.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:37 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windward
I wonder if born and bred Canucks would spend two pages arguing about the appropriateness of taking your shoes off at the door

.. sign of some British need to be polite? or just some kind of compulsion

... got to take your clodhoppers off in my parents' 3-bed semi in the Midlands too btw... and my mates', even my friend's student digs in Liverpool.

I guess it must be a personal thing.
Souviens, not souvien.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Didn't all you Brits take off your shoes when you entered your home back in the UK and put your slippers on . If you didn't, your carpets must have been really filthy and full of dog poop bacteria. UGH! Good thing that wooden floors are becoming popular back there.

When visiting, the appropriate thing to do is take a spare pair of indoor shoes to change into - most visitors do that and women do not bring high heels because they know the bad effect it has on their own hardwood floors.

We have to change shoes indoors for 6 months because it is winter. The other 6 we are going around barefoot in the house because it is hot .
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I was taught that taking your shoes off inside was vulgar I appreciate winter makes things slightly different in Canada for a few months of the year but I don't understand why people are still removing shoes at the door on a dry summer's day

Originally Posted by Liana
Didn't all you Brits take off your shoes when you entered your home back in the UK and put your slippers on .
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I was taught that taking your shoes off inside was vulgar I appreciate winter makes things slightly different in Canada for a few months of the year but I don't understand why people are still removing shoes at the door on a dry summer's day
So you never had slippers
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

We always took our shoes off before entering the house no matter what time of year it was. With 3 kids and dogs can you imagine the state of my parents carpets if we didnt....apparently this tradition goes back a long way on both the irish and polish side of the family. We always removed our shoes even during the winter in winnipeg before entering my polish grans kitchen.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
So you never had slippers
Never at home, compulsory at school though or pay 50p fine if caught in outdoor shoes

Bought a pair last winter as it felt a bit odd coming in, taking wet boots off and then putting a dry pair on... if I had wooden floors I'd likely have left them on

Last edited by Biiiiink; Sep 8th 2006 at 12:36 am.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My carpet's a state too but it's kiddy-related (look mummy, I made a smiley face on the carpet with yoghurt) rather than shoe-related.

I lived in Germany for a few years, nearly all the homes I visited took their shoes off too. The only place I've done it voluntarily is Japan but at least they provided guest footwear... I *hate* doing the sock thing, yuk

Originally Posted by willmore
We always took our shoes off before entering the house no matter what time of year it was. With 3 kids and dogs can you imagine the state of my parents carpets if we didnt....apparently this tradition goes back a long way on both the irish and polish side of the family. We always removed our shoes even during the winter in winnipeg before entering my polish grans kitchen.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:00 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

I take my shoes off before I enter any of my (born and bred) Canadian friends' homes. To me, it's natural, and I guess a sign of respect - I know the dirt on the floors doesn't just vanish with the wave of a wand (I wish, though! ). I also expect visitors to take their shoes off at the door in my home, and so does my Canadian roommate. Nothing more annoying than just having cleaned the floors, and then having people trampling in with their outdoor shoes...
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Gone in 30 days will become famous soon enoughGone in 30 days will become famous soon enough

Oh my..... this thread is so funny! I've been reading it and just had to have my say. You have to take your shoes off in my house, if not I usually ask. We have hard wood floors and I'm always cleaning them, to walk in in dirty shoes that have been touching god knows what just turns my stomache. When we had our house on the market in England I hated people coming round and stressed about it wondering if they would take their shoes off or would I have to ask them. One of my canadian buddies has her own pair of slippers in my cupboard!

We have three children and they are all really good taking shoes off when coming in, we have talked about getting a dog but find the thought of dirty dog paws a bit stressy..... bit of a clean freak me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.