Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Your Furniture To Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Shipping Your Furniture To Nova Scotia

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:47 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shipping Your Furniture To Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by starman
Whats with the attack? I said in an earlier post how I understand why its done and then left it at that but you then came along with attitude. All I am saying is I have never heard of anyone buying containers before even when the american shipped 43x40ft containers to their new consulate here they never brought any of them. I just finished moving the brits into the consulate last month after the bombing and a lot of it was emptied into our warehouse.
Thats why I found it unusual, and was NOT having a pop at you.
No attack - don't worry!! I always write with tonnes of expression!! LOL!!

Maybe I shoud've written "because it's only £800......yeeehaaa!!" then you would have got the measure of this floosie blonde, lol!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:37 pm
Expat Taxi driver

starman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of light

No hard feelings then. will you be able to inspect the container before you buy it? You probably know this but just info for others thinking of doing this to know.
Container should be inspected from the outside for signs of dents and other damage. get inside the container and shut yourself in there and make sure you can not see any light coming through, if so dont take it has that the way for humidity to get through.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

wellington is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by starman
No hard feelings then. will you be able to inspect the container before you buy it? You probably know this but just info for others thinking of doing this to know.
Container should be inspected from the outside for signs of dents and other damage. get inside the container and shut yourself in there and make sure you can not see any light coming through, if so dont take it has that the way for humidity to get through.
And get a written receipt from the seller to include wording to the effect that it has been inspected by the relevant authourities and is deemed fit for shipping by sea.

There are plenty of containers that have been retired from service for sea freight and are out of date. You can buy them cheaply (price going up tho) and use them as stores or temp garages so beware of cheaper alternatives.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellington
We have lots of furniture, personal effects and tools that we are bringing over with us. Anyone shipped a whole load over and if so how. I was thinking of buying a 20 foot ISO and re-selling it when we get there. Best price for a plated and tested ISO is £950 but no quotes on shipping it yet.

What are peoples experiences? Don't want to get rid of the antiques and we have been honest about what to bring and what to fling - coming over with 4 suitcases is not an option.

Thanks so much
Hi
We have gained 3 quotes from Anglo Pacific, Robinsons and Whites. They quoted £4k, £4k and £3150 respectively. This is for a 20 ft container from Basingstoke, Hampshire to New Brunswick, via Halifax, Nova Scotia. This is for a full door to door service but does not include marine insurance.
We have a 4 bed detached house with an average amount of furniture.
Hope this is of some use?
Regards

Steve
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:43 am
Just Joined

wellington is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone got a price for just a 20' ISOcontainer being shipped ( Slough to Halifax and onward inland)? I can pack it all - I have been trained in export packing and have the relevant experience too.