Reload this Page >

Shipping Your Furniture To Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Shipping Your Furniture To Nova Scotia

Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:13 am
Just Joined

wellington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Your Furniture To Nova Scotia

We have lots of furniture, personal effects and tools that we are bringing over with us. Anyone shipped a whole load over and if so how. I was thinking of buying a 20 foot ISO and re-selling it when we get there. Best price for a plated and tested ISO is £950 but no quotes on shipping it yet.

What are peoples experiences? Don't want to get rid of the antiques and we have been honest about what to bring and what to fling - coming over with 4 suitcases is not an option.

Thanks so much
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Your Furniture To Nova Scotia

Pretty sure this has been covered here before. Have you tried using the advanced search for terms like "shipping container" in the Canada Lifestyle area? Should turn up a whole bunch of threads.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks - I didn't want to be too proscriptive by just thinking about containers - there may be a cheaper way to do this - but containers seemed to be the cheapest from my initial searches.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wellington
We have lots of furniture, personal effects and tools that we are bringing over with us. Anyone shipped a whole load over and if so how. I was thinking of buying a 20 foot ISO and re-selling it when we get there. Best price for a plated and tested ISO is £950 but no quotes on shipping it yet.

What are peoples experiences? Don't want to get rid of the antiques and we have been honest about what to bring and what to fling - coming over with 4 suitcases is not an option.

Thanks so much
Hi

We shipped via Allied Pickfords (London to Halifax) with a 20ft container, which in the end was only just over half full (600 cu ft) The complete service door to door with pack and unpack was in the region of £3k. insurance can bump the price up but well worth it if you value your goods.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Thanks - I didn't want to be too proscriptive by just thinking about containers - there may be a cheaper way to do this - but containers seemed to be the cheapest from my initial searches.
Hi Wellington,
we have had few quotes recently for a 20ft container, going from lancs to Halifax. Allied pickfords £3,500 direct to Halifax, Brittannia was the same, and John Mason was £3,800, but when arrives in Halifax goes via an agent, so not with JM from door to door, we seem happy with Allied Pickford.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi
moving all our goods to Halifax via Britannia this May.20 sq foot container for a family of 4 is £3k plus 2.75% insurance.Shipping takes between 12 - 19 days d to d,full packing and un packing service.Very professional so far.
Mike
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:50 am
Expat Taxi driver

starman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of light

I work in shipping and must say 3K for a 20ft (holds 32 cubic meters) isnt a bad price but shop around as I know there is cheaper. has anyone tried bishops or micheal gerson aswell as pickfords. crowne is another possibility.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:56 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikejw
Hi
moving all our goods to Halifax via Britannia this May.20 sq foot container for a family of 4 is £3k plus 2.75% insurance.Shipping takes between 12 - 19 days d to d,full packing and un packing service.Very professional so far.
Mike
12 -19 days?? I have done worldwide moves at least six times and the quickest to North America from the UK was six weeks! How did you wangle that one?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:52 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much
My sister-in-law owns a shipping company and we bought our 40ft container from her for £800. It is fully lined and has metal tie-downs already in so all we had to do was have decks built in it.

We will also sell ours once we have unloaded all of our effects.......however this is likely to take a couple of years, lol!!!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:26 pm
Expat Taxi driver

starman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of lightstarman is a glorious beacon of light

I dont understand the point in buying containers? I have shipped for hundreds around the world and never once heard of anyone buying a container. whats the point?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dingbat
12 -19 days?? I have done worldwide moves at least six times and the quickest to North America from the UK was six weeks! How did you wangle that one?
Hi
Our container will leave the UK two days after we do.The crossing is 10 days straight to Halifax and then Britannia have estimated about a week for clearance and delivery around the Halifax area.
It certainly helps that Halifax is a major port and goods go straight there and not to Montreal for instance.
Mike
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

At the price and resale value of shipping containers vs the cost of storage in Canada - owning your own secure storage unit which you can later re-sell for almost same amount works out to be a lot less costly than hiring a container. If we own it we can dump it at a farm and collect later when we have found the right place etc etc.

Odly enough I am a BAR trained export packer so I don't want to pay Gersons/Pearsons/Pickfords for something I can do myself just as well (not that I have anything against them).
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:24 pm
Expat Taxi driver

At the price and resale value of shipping containers vs the cost of storage in Canada - owning your own secure storage unit which you can later re-sell for almost same amount works out to be a lot less costly than hiring a container. If we own it we can dump it at a farm and collect later when we have found the right place etc etc.

Odly enough I am a BAR trained export packer so I don't want to pay Gersons/Pearsons/Pickfords for something I can do myself just as well (not that I have anything against them).
now I got you. save on the demurrage charges. wise.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:41 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by starman
I dont understand the point in buying containers? I have shipped for hundreds around the world and never once heard of anyone buying a container. whats the point?
Because it is £800!!! And because we sold our large house in the UK a year and a half ago and we have a much smaller house in Canada until we build on to it and it is housing our convertible car until we build a garage and it is housing all my horse equipment until I build stables and we can probably sell for the same price as we paid for it. Probably a few other reasons that I have failed to mention.....so there you have it.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:17 am
Expat Taxi driver

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Because it is £800!!! And because we sold our large house in the UK a year and a half ago and we have a much smaller house in Canada until we build on to it and it is housing our convertible car until we build a garage and it is housing all my horse equipment until I build stables and we can probably sell for the same price as we paid for it. Probably a few other reasons that I have failed to mention.....so there you have it.
Whats with the attack? I said in an earlier post how I understand why its done and then left it at that but you then came along with attitude. All I am saying is I have never heard of anyone buying containers before even when the american shipped 43x40ft containers to their new consulate here they never brought any of them. I just finished moving the brits into the consulate last month after the bombing and a lot of it was emptied into our warehouse.
Thats why I found it unusual, and was NOT having a pop at you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.