Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping - what not to pack?

Shipping - what not to pack?

Old Jul 1st 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping - what not to pack?

We've got the packers coming on Monday so are trying to sort through our stuff & work out what we won't be taking. The shipping company have been a bit vague as to what we can't take & told us this:

The main items not to take are food items, aerosols, liquids, weapons and anything flammable

Translated into actual regular household items what does this mean? (obviously minus the food items & aerosols). Perfume? batteries? matches? What did people specifically not pack? What do they mean by liquid?

I've also read somewhere else creams are prohibited, I have various potions & lotions I don't wish to part with.

Also read somewhere all personal electronics, is this just a security precaution for our own sake? We can't take all of them in our hand luggage so we were going to hide them amongst our clothes & stuff.

One last thing is my husband has a sword (he doesn't want to part with because it was a gift) & a machete (which he got from the tool shop he worked in to hack down overgrown trees in the garden, not for anything sinister ). Are they prohibited too? I have no idea what to do with them if they are, don't want them falling into the wrong hands with our fingerprints on them.

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2016, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

maggs8247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping - what not to pack?

Hello, we were told recently when the shipping companies came out to quote, that in terms of liquids, nothing flammable (so no nailpolish remover e.g). We weren't told no personal electronics, but we were told to take the batteries out of everything so they don't leak.
I wouldn't recommend hiding things as the shippers also act as customs agents on this end so they have to check all of your stuff (so don't tape it all up either).
Good luck!
Old Jul 1st 2016, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The sword and machete are ok if declared.
Packaged dried food will be ok if in original packets. White powdered goods in ziplock bags might look suspicious
The creams will be ok as well as electronics.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:47 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The sword and machete are ok if declared.
Packaged dried food will be ok if in original packets. White powdered goods in ziplock bags might look suspicious
The creams will be ok as well as electronics.
I went through Billy Bishop a couple of weeks ago. The guy behind me in the security screen was mightily pissed off that his largeish pocket knife was taken away from him. What did the dork expect?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

HI

A few things to think about,

1, Any garden stuff and your tree chopper might be classed as that , they don't like any soil etc , so I repainted everything that come from the garden(shipper told me to do it) or was used in the garden. As if they find it they will take it out and power wash it, (for a stupid cost) .

2. They told me 6 weeks for delivery it took 13, so anything you cant live without for 13 weeks don't send it. We reduced from a full container to a shared container and purchased beds, sofa etc over here. So all your lotions etc you might want to just buy new here .

3. Sword etc fine as long as you say where it is, I would try to get them to pack it with easy access if they want a look and have to take the container apart( as it is in the back) there might be a charge.

Things I wish someone would of told me,

Bedding, different sized beds in Canada , unless you are bring a Uk bed don't bring fitted sheets etc .

Towels etc , buy from the second hand store ,

Pots pans plates cutlery again if you have good sets, ship them. Then back to the charity store to get some that will last you 3 months.

Get insurance as much as you can afford, 4 boxes where damaged and we went for the middle option and got fleeced , one box was all my sons baby photographs so any thing like that, that can't be replaced ,scan and save a copy.

Good Luck

Gary
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This might be useful to you: Category:Moving Logistics-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Anything electrical can be a PITA, things like food mixers, hairdryers, toasters and whathaveyou. Even if they could be plugged in to a transformer they often don't work right, and can be a safety and/or insurance risk. TV's, gaming systems and laptops are often dual voltage - look on the back for something like 100-250v, 50-60Hz for dual voltage appliances.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 1:42 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but where's the safety risk in plugging your Magimix into a transformer for 5 minutes to mix up some stuff? We're still using the last surviving electrical items from our UK lives to this day. So what if it runs 5 or 10% faster or slower? Who'd know - or care! We saved a fortune by shipping everything we owned, then, if necessary, reviewing its usefulness and replacing if/when we needed to. I Don't get the "it's the wrong voltage - it won't work" mantra. My experience is pretty much everything we brought to Canada worked either perfectly, or as near as damn it. I'm still using a 20 year old amp for some of my music stuff with a transformer because it is at least as good as anything that would have cost me hundreds of dollars here - if not thousands. Big white goods I concede are not worth shipping. Most houses include them anyway (as an aside, even our Dyson worked with a transformer (do you know how much those things cost here!!?!)). TV for kids games - fine. Breadmaker with transformer - fine. Magimix thingy - fine. Turned out my garage has 220v laid on so ALL power tool - fine. Electric pressure washer - not so much I must admit. DAB radio - nope. Scalextric (with transformer) - fine

For what it's worth, if you are paying for a container anyway, if it isn't nailed down - bring it!
Old Jul 16th 2016, 9:49 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here four years ago in August, and took my inspiration from a response to,my similar post, from Rivingtonpike! I brought everything....just like he told me to...I have never regretted it!

Four years on....I admit...we went out when the shippers came, and on our return discovered they had packed the contents of our wine rack etc., which we had thought to quietly imbibe during the last few weeks...we didn't hide them, and all arrived safely

Certainly more angst seemed to be generated at the thought of soil and anything that might be dirty...we brought a car with us and the underside was pressure washed and all garden furniture washed with Jeyes Fluid.

Best of luck
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Auryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm sorry, but where's the safety risk in plugging your Magimix into a transformer for 5 minutes to mix up some stuff? We're still using the last surviving electrical items from our UK lives to this day. So what if it runs 5 or 10% faster or slower? Who'd know - or care! We saved a fortune by shipping everything we owned, then, if necessary, reviewing its usefulness and replacing if/when we needed to. I Don't get the "it's the wrong voltage - it won't work" mantra. My experience is pretty much everything we brought to Canada worked either perfectly, or as near as damn it. I'm still using a 20 year old amp for some of my music stuff with a transformer because it is at least as good as anything that would have cost me hundreds of dollars here - if not thousands. Big white goods I concede are not worth shipping. Most houses include them anyway (as an aside, even our Dyson worked with a transformer (do you know how much those things cost here!!?!)). TV for kids games - fine. Breadmaker with transformer - fine. Magimix thingy - fine. Turned out my garage has 220v laid on so ALL power tool - fine. Electric pressure washer - not so much I must admit. DAB radio - nope. Scalextric (with transformer) - fine

For what it's worth, if you are paying for a container anyway, if it isn't nailed down - bring it!
We are planning to take our TV's, cake mixer, dyson and other things like lien mower. I don't think we can afford to buy so many new things. Do you think that will be ok? Thank you
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auryn80
..... I don't think we can afford to buy so many new things. Do you think that will be ok? Thank you
But then you'll need transfomers, decent sized ones, especially for the vacuum and lawn mower, and they aren't exactly cheap. You aren't going to save a lot by bringing things with you, and as you have been advised already, some of them won't work quite right anyway.

If you look in the small print of your insurance, you might even find that running appliances on a transformer will invalidate your homeowners insurance.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Four years on....I admit...we went out when the shippers came, and on our return discovered they had packed the contents of our wine rack etc., which we had thought to quietly imbibe during the last few weeks...we didn't hide them, and all arrived safely...
Have you "destroyed" the evidence since?
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Larger appliances like vacuums and lawn mowers... not the best idea to bring it. Smaller electronics are easier, but note what Pulaski said about it invalidating homeowners insurance. We just brought everything new, it was cheaper, plus if you have any issues with the actual appliance itself, warranty/replacement dealings are easier as well.

Our shippers told us not to pack shampoos, lotions, etc, but more because leaking potential was a risk - stuff in boxes for a efw weeks/months, if it leaks it can do damage. I decided not to pack things like shampoos, and any lotions I did bring I double-bagged in ziplock bags.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Larger appliances like vacuums and lawn mowers... not the best idea to bring it. Smaller electronics are easier, but note what Pulaski said about it invalidating homeowners insurance. We just brought everything new, it was cheaper, plus if you have any issues with the actual appliance itself, warranty/replacement dealings are easier as well.

Our shippers told us not to pack shampoos, lotions, etc, but more because leaking potential was a risk - stuff in boxes for a efw weeks/months, if it leaks it can do damage. I decided not to pack things like shampoos, and any lotions I did bring I double-bagged in ziplock bags.
Remember that moving will invalidate the warranty on any item you have sent over as well.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved, I shipped (apart from clothes) books, CDs, and photos. With advances in digital storage since then, I wouldn't need to do that again. Next time, I'd only take clothes, laptops and a few important documents. I'd sell everything else and save the shipping fees. The income from the sale and the saved shipping fees could be enough to replace what I need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.