Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

shipping vehichles to canada

shipping vehichles to canada

Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:34 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping vehichles to canada

Originally Posted by Jonny B
Just a note i found surprising, the Octane rating of the fuel starts at 87, you can get 89 and max ive seen is 91.

Ive considered moving my cheap classics over but finding it hard to justify. You may pay a tad more over here (ontario), especially depending on the exchange rate but many classic owners never take their care out if there is a threat of rain or grit/salt on the road and you can find many good quality lower mileage examples. Especially as the US is a driveable.

All the best,
JB
Octane is not rated the same here - the Canadian (and US) system is based on Pump Octane rather than Research Octane Rating (RON). There is a 4 to 5 point difference between the two, so an 87-rated fuel here would be 91 or 92 in the UK. Most outlets have 87/89/91 octane fuel here, which is pretty much the equivalent of UK regular, super and premium grades. Some networks (notably Sunoco) sell a 94-octane grade, which a lot of classic owners use
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny B
Just a note i found surprising, the Octane rating of the fuel starts at 87, you can get 89 and max ive seen is 91.
Octane is measured differently here.... its the same fuel, but one reports mean value, the other peak or something like that....

EDIT: What he said^^^
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Jonny B is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah good info cheers,
Gets me thinking about the leaded to unleaded cylinder head conversions we had to go through some years back.
JB
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: shipping vehichles to canada

I recently brought over my 1994 Suzuki Samurai, I can't talk much about the shipping side as it came in the container with our household goods, but below is a quick summary of my experience after it arrived. By the way, if the vehicle is less than 15 years old and not US spec then do not bother trying to bring it into Canada.

When we arrived in Canada we had to provide the UK logbook to the border customs and the goods accounting form which detailed the vehicle. They duly approved this - not painful at all !! They will also provide a form to show that no tax is due to be paid.

When the container arrived customs decided they wanted to take a quick look, probably to check the vehicle identity, check that it was not covered in soil etc. For this privilege they charged us $200. This only delayed the release of the container by about 2-3 days though.

Once the container was available for release we had to go to the local customs for the port and they then reviewed the paperwork and approved the container for release. The container was then released to us and the vehicle delivered. Provided you are insured you can drive on UK plates here for 30 days.

Next steps were then to get the vehicle registered in Canada. Firstly, go to the local government offices (e.g. Access Nova Scotia) with your customs documents and UK log book and 3 proofs of Id and signature (e.g. Passport, Driving Licence and credit card) - this will allow you to exchange your UK log book for a Canadian one. Then if you present your insurance document for Canada they will issue you the licence plates. You then have 10 days to get the safety inspection completed.

Its worth checking out what modifications you might have to make and talking to the provincial office for vehicle safety inspections about this. On my Suzuki as it was built after 1990 it had to have a cat fitted to the exhaust. You also need to have daytime running lights here, but on older vehicles you can just turn on the headlights, it does not have to be automatic. A key thing to check for are km/h are shown on the speedo, although a decal can be added if needed.

Not such a big deal.... and I now a RHD Suzuki Samurai on the roads here - a rare sight !!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mcdavis
I recently brought over my 1994 Suzuki Samurai, .....some great info cut .......

Not such a big deal.... and I now a RHD Suzuki Samurai on the roads here - a rare sight !!
great post, thanks