Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping from the UK to BC

Shipping from the UK to BC

Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:12 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from the UK to BC

Originally Posted by TS00
They'd be quoting for a 20' container. Others didn't seem to have an issue quoting on this basis.
I said this in my last post;

"There have been multiple reports on BE of companies quoting one thing and then charging another when they actually see what there is to ship and people rightly complain about that, but if you won't let the company see the goods then what would you expect?"

If you are OK to find that the company shipping your stuff change their quote at the very last minute because you underestimated the weight/volume of the shipment, then fine.

If you want to make sure that the money they quote is the money you actually pay, then you would be well advised to have the amount estimated by an expert.
The companies do not charge for coming out to do a detailed quote so I really do not see what the issue is with having one done.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helcat12
The companies do not charge for coming out to do a detailed quote so I really do not see what the issue is with having one done.
The issue is it's a waste of my time - I will fill a 20' container, no more, no less. So the volume will be exactly 1x 20' container. That is all I want a quote for.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:52 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TS00
They'd be quoting for a 20' container. Others didn't seem to have an issue quoting on this basis.
If you are doing a self pack fair enough, if your not, then they will need to do a survey, well any reputable company would.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
If you are doing a self pack fair enough, if your not, then they will need to do a survey, well any reputable company would.
This is what I have stated all along - and like I said, 3 other companies had no problem quoting for a 20' container door to door. I only mentioned my experience with White & Co because someone suggested them.

So, if anyone has any recommendations of a company they've used recently for a 20' container, UK to BC, I'm all ears.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:58 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
Depends what the client wants. If they want self load, shipping only, a freight forwarder should easily be able to quote for that or removal company come to that. For household goods, one would be less likely to get insurance for self packed though. They just need the size of the can and the weight of the contents.

Freight still has to be packed, you don't just throw it in and hope for the best. A container can hold hundreds of thousands of $ in product, we just pack and unpack our own, we still use a rented can.
I have been "related"By marriage and company ownership to the industry for over 20 years so I understand exactly what you are talking about. I didn't realise the OP was going down the self pack route.