Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Tools to Canada

Shipping Tools to Canada

Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:36 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Tools to Canada

IF you do like the idea of a new socket set when you get here(because it's shinier than the one you have already got) then wait until it's on sale - it will go on sale, whatever it is you want, you just have to be patient. OH bought a socket set from crappy tire for $99, previous price was something like $249. Princess Auto is good for disposable tools not for quality though.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:06 pm
Life is great!!

LISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant future

Hi and welcome, well my husband brought his big snap on tool cabinet and tools with him in our container with the rest of our worldly goods and the shippers just put tools on the list we didnt declare them as anything special (never even thought to). Our container was never checked and it breezed through so in retrospect wish we had brought a lot more of our stuff over rather than giving it away or throwing it.

Hope this helps.

Lisa
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: originally from Portchester, Nr Fareham UK now Braeside, nr Arnprior, Ontario and loving it!
Martian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
Hello everyone, we have been reading lots of the threads on here for a while and just starting out on the route to apply for the Skilled worker programme.
I have a question, Is it possible to ship my Snap-on tools? Is it expensive because of the weight or should i sell them and buy new one's when we get out there? I am assuming you can buy Snap-on out there? I also see on some mechanics jobs that they give a yearly tool allowance, does anyone know how this works?

Thanks in advance......I'm sure you'll see lots of questions from me and my better half..
Hello

We are taking tools with us and its just added as part of the volume within the container. The tools are for personal use not work but the shipping company didn't ask us for what use we were taking it so if duty needed to e paid then I would of thought they would have warned us.

Just on a separate thing I see your from Romsey, we are from Portchester near Fareham so near your part of the woods. Where are you off to in Canada?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

Well thank you all very much, for the information and the humour!

If I was entering on a Skilled Work Permit to be a mechanic, would it not flag up on the system somewhere and arouse suspicion that they may not be for home use??

Martin75, hopefully going to Ontario area but we're only just starting out on the process. How about you? Never ceases to amaze me how small the world is....
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

Sorry!! Martian 75! not Martin,sorry....
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

If I was entering on a Skilled Work Permit to be a mechanic, would it not flag up on the system somewhere and arouse suspicion that they may not be for home use??
A mate of mine is a car sprayer and he took his guns as he said that he used his employers when at work and only used his at home. He had not problems.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: originally from Portchester, Nr Fareham UK now Braeside, nr Arnprior, Ontario and loving it!
Martian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant future

Well thank you all very much, for the information and the humour!

Martin75, hopefully going to Ontario area but we're only just starting out on the process. How about you? Never ceases to amaze me how small the world is....
Don't worry, Martin, Martian only a I init!

Anyway we are off to Ontario, Kanata - Arnprior area. We have job offer, LMO sorted just waiting for TWP then off at the beg of April Very excited but nervous at the same time. We hope that we are making the right move, our philosophy is you only live once and opportunities don't come knocking everyday.
Do you have any idea whereabouts in Ontario you might be off to?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Turnip is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, we have been reading lots of the threads on here for a while and just starting out on the route to apply for the Skilled worker programme.
I have a question, Is it possible to ship my Snap-on tools? Is it expensive because of the weight or should i sell them and buy new one's when we get out there? I am assuming you can buy Snap-on out there? I also see on some mechanics jobs that they give a yearly tool allowance, does anyone know how this works?

Thanks in advance......I'm sure you'll see lots of questions from me and my better half..
Hi KeithSonja

We shipped my Snap On toolkit in our container and had no problems even though I declared they were for work with the customs people.

I thought of selling them and then replacing them here but am glad I didn't as Snap On (from the few tools I have bought while in Canada) seems more expensive than in the UK even taking exchange rates and wage differences into account.

Also have a look at my other post "auto tech flat rate" regarding some shops pay system over here.

Hope everything goes ok for you both.

Cheers

Turnip