Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping things to Canada

Shipping things to Canada

Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

gregse4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping things to Canada

So my partner received the go ahead to move (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) and now we have circled in the end of February for a move to Toronto.

We will be moving out of our flat mid December and moving into a hotel here in the UK (where I work and my boss allowed me to stay there for free until we leave.) As such we have the following questions:
  • Should we ship the items right away and keep them in bonded storage in Canada until we get settled in and find an apartment or should we keep it in storage here in the UK and then ask the company to ship it 6 weeks before we leave?
  • If we are shipping a computer with our music collection on it, do we have to bring the actual CDs? I read somewhere that customs can ask you for proof that it's not pirated music?
  • Is insurance advisable?
  • I know there are 100s of posts about this but any preferred companies? We don't have much things. A bed, TV, Computer and maybe 10 boxes of personal items clothes duvets etc.

Thanks very much for your help guys!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping things to Canada

Should we ship the items right away and keep them in bonded storage in Canada until we get settled in and find an apartment or should we keep it in storage here in the UK and then ask the company to ship it 6 weeks before we leave? Option 2 works well.

If we are shipping a computer with our music collection on it, do we have to bring the actual CDs? I read somewhere that customs can ask you for proof that it's not pirated music? LOL no worries
Is insurance advisable? Only if your bringing very expensive stuff, otherwise it's by weight so i would not bother.

I know there are 100s of posts about this but any preferred companies? We don't have much things. A bed, TV, Computer and maybe 10 boxes of personal items clothes duvets etc. Seriously a bed, it will cost you more to ship then buy one at IKEA or the Brick.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping things to Canada

Bonded is very expensive so i've heard - sounds better to delay the shipping from the UK