Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Quotes for Info

Shipping Quotes for Info

Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Shipping Quotes for Info

Hi all

Just thought I'd share our quotes for shipping for anyone who's interested. We are shipping from Edinburgh to Calgary and didnt expect to need a full container.
We got quotes from Robinsons & Doree Bonner, both companies reckoned we were about 500cuft which is apparently the limit where it becomes more economical for a sole use container.

Clark & Rose are the local branch of Robinsons and they turned up on time were very friendly and professional took as much time as we wanted to go over our questions and concerns.

John Duncan were the local arm of Doree Bonner and were an hour late, rushed round pretty much as quick as they could and generally gave us the feeling they had somewhere else to be.

We accept that its tha school holidays up here and therefore the busiest time of the year for movers but Clark & Rose made us feel important which goes a long way.

The quotes came in within £150 of each other with John Duncan being in front. We took the quote back to Clark & Rose and they split the difference which was good enough as we were going to use them, due to their superior customer care.

I want to be clear that both firms were professional and seemed very capable and competent but little things like being an hour late with no apology made the difference. I know this is down to the individuals you get to quote but its all we had to go on.

Hope that helps someone

Cheers
Tom
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:07 am
napanee calling

trishandbubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Quotes for Info

can I be really cheeky and ask how much your quotes were? We are at the early stages of emmigrating but not sure if we should move what we have or just buy new over there. We have contacted one local company but havent heard back from them as yet (they said they will phone back with a time). We live just outside of Edinburgh so will look into those two companies.

thanks
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Sorry I didn't mean to leave the prices out.

The original Clarke & Rose quote was £3243 and John Duncan quoted £3295 these prices are for a 20' sole use container with about 500cuft of stuff. Insurance is extra and is 3% of the insured value.

We were also told that delivery time should be 6-8 weeks for a sole use container.

Cheers
Tom
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:00 am
napanee calling

trishandbubs is an unknown quantity at this point

thats great thanks, its not as bad as what I thought it would be, will be contacting them for quotes shortly
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

No Worries

its worth bearing in mind that the container and shipping is only a proportion of the cost. Our container will only be about half full for that price the more you take, the more time it takes to pack and inventory and this will increase the quote accordingly.

We found Phil at Clark & Rose to be excellant. They reckon the earlier the better for arranging shipping but we left it till we only had 6 weeks to go and its all fine. I suspect thats more luck than judgement.

Cheers
Tom
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:30 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lauder99
No Worries

its worth bearing in mind that the container and shipping is only a proportion of the cost. Our container will only be about half full for that price the more you take, the more time it takes to pack and inventory and this will increase the quote accordingly.

We found Phil at Clark & Rose to be excellant. They reckon the earlier the better for arranging shipping but we left it till we only had 6 weeks to go and its all fine. I suspect thats more luck than judgement.

Cheers
Tom
Tom

Hows it going!!!

It seems things are moving for you and L....well done.

Do you need any help with things in Calgary as I have a friend who would be
more than happy to help. Just PM me.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauder99
Sorry I didn't mean to leave the prices out.

The original Clarke & Rose quote was £3243 and John Duncan quoted £3295 these prices are for a 20' sole use container with about 500cuft of stuff. Insurance is extra and is 3% of the insured value.

We were also told that delivery time should be 6-8 weeks for a sole use container.

Cheers
Tom
Those look like great prices, very similar to what we paid Glasgow-->Winnipeg over 3yrs ago - you've done well! I think the insurance is very high though, but I guess it's too late to haggle over that.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys

the price is ok we thought, we didnt haggle over the insurance as the majority of the stuff is just our personal junk it doesnt have huge value so the insurance shouldn't be too bad.

Hi Kat yup all systems go right now we think we have everything covered but I'll drop you a PM if we need a hand.

Cheers
Tom
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

hi tom

good timing on this thread we are in Edinburgh shipping a container to Vancouver

GB liners quoted £4492
Britania £3380

will try some of your contacts also

good luck
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
our quote from Robinsons was 3850 about 900 cubic foot full.