Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping outdoor gear

Shipping outdoor gear

Old May 9th 2011, 10:24 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping outdoor gear

Can anyone tell me what the rules are about shipping things that have been used outdoors, please?
I have heard that they are very strict about stuff coming in that might have mud or soil on it and I am wondering whether it is a good idea to bring my camping gear - tent, groundsheet, stuff like that.
Also, animal things are a concern for me. How are they about pet bedding (I have several wicker cat beds that I would like to take)?
I have the horrors about them opening up the container and finding a speck of dirt on the groundsheet or a cat hair and sending the whole lot back to the UK
Also, any advice about how to pack my household goods would be much appreciated. I am packing all the personal stuff myself and the movers are packing the furniture. I want to take my stereo (it is the only electrical thing I am planning to take) and I wondered how it should be packed to stand the journey - is there an issues with electricals and humidity or temperature in a container load? I am using a 20ft sole container.
Thanks for any advice or comments.

Last edited by helcat12; May 9th 2011 at 10:27 am. Reason: addition
Old May 9th 2011, 12:15 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping outdoor gear

Originally Posted by helcat12
Can anyone tell me what the rules are about shipping things that have been used outdoors, please?
I have heard that they are very strict about stuff coming in that might have mud or soil on it and I am wondering whether it is a good idea to bring my camping gear - tent, groundsheet, stuff like that.
Also, animal things are a concern for me. How are they about pet bedding (I have several wicker cat beds that I would like to take)?
I have the horrors about them opening up the container and finding a speck of dirt on the groundsheet or a cat hair and sending the whole lot back to the UK
Also, any advice about how to pack my household goods would be much appreciated. I am packing all the personal stuff myself and the movers are packing the furniture. I want to take my stereo (it is the only electrical thing I am planning to take) and I wondered how it should be packed to stand the journey - is there an issues with electricals and humidity or temperature in a container load? I am using a 20ft sole container.
Hi. We brought outdoors stuff over. Not particularly camping stuff but bikes etc. I gave them a bit of a clean up so they were not caked in mud as it were but I certainly didn't go overboard checking for specs of dirt. We brought pet bedding over too which also included one wicker dog basket. From memory I probably washed all the pet blankets etc but didn't do anything with the basket. We experienced no problems with everything getting over here. Everything arrived promptly and in one piece.

Can't really comment on the packing side - our movers did the lot! We too had a 20ft container.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Scotia Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
We brought over lawnmower,bikes,outdoor paly equip,camping stuff,dog beds etc,bikes. We just made sure that all equip was washed with disinfectant and was as clean as poss. Stereo - as long as it is wrapped,cushioned and boxed it should be fine
Old May 9th 2011, 3:29 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We also brought loads of outdoor gear. The kids bikes, scooters etc were all scrubbed and sprayed with Jeyes Fluid, we even kept the receipt for the vile smelling stuff just in case! (PSS sprayed them again when they arrived even though they were spotless)

We took a large tent, foorprint and associated camping equipment, which again was spotless. Didn't spray it as would ruin the waterproofing. I spent one Sunday afternoon cleaning every foldup chair, table etc to get any mud off. Also had to do same with hubby's golf clubs, outdoor shoes,etc. Didn't bother with the lawnmower or trampoline in the end, just too much hassle to thoroughly clean and sold at the last minute.

We stressed that they may open up and find a minute speck of soil on the tent but was all fine.

That said, we now have decided that camping in Alberta is maybe not such a smart idea!!!