Reload this Page >

Shipping Off Road Bikes in container

Shipping Off Road Bikes in container

Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:33 pm
Super Moto's are a blast

Slinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shipping Off Road Bikes in container

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if shipping 2 off road bikes in a container will be clobbered for tax?

Both bikes will have brand new tyres as I realize that there may be traces of soil on the old ones & this would not be allowed.

If somebody has been through the experience off shipping dirt bikes, I would be interested to hear your story & the procedure.

Cheers,

Slinger
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Off Road Bikes in container

Assuming you are either a returning citizen or moving over to take up permanent residence then, no, if they are part of your 'shipment' and personal effects then you won't pay tax. They would need to be itemised and valued on your list of goods to follow.

AX
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:05 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Slinger
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if shipping 2 off road bikes in a container will be clobbered for tax?

Both bikes will have brand new tyres as I realize that there may be traces of soil on the old ones & this would not be allowed.

If somebody has been through the experience off shipping dirt bikes, I would be interested to hear your story & the procedure.

Cheers,

Slinger
In November I shipped a Fireblade to Canada along with all our other belongings.

I was told by customs that the Food/Agrticultural people would want to open the container and inspect the contents because of the bike.

If this happens things start getting expensive because the container is removed fromt he CP Rail site, taken to a bonded warehouse, emptied, inspected and re-packed. All this is done at YOUR expense by a company not the authorities.

In my case, despite the fact I was told they would definitely do this, the Food/Agri people decided not to inspect. There were also 3 mountain bikes and garden tools/furniture inside by the way.

Why they didn't inspect is a mystery and a relief to me, perhaps I just got lucky?

My advice would be either don't import the bikes. If you really, really want to then get them and any other outdoor items professionally cleaned and make sure you get appropriate documentation to prove it.

Another issue to bear in mind is that you could have problems getting the bikes registered. Even if they only going to be used exculsively off-road it is my understanding they still have to be registered and legal.

Good luck,

Ian.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:20 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Slinger
Hi,

Cheers,

Slinger
We' re going next month and hubby is taking 2 motocross bikes with him. Do you have any help or advice that you found out to pass on? Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
We' re going next month and hubby is taking 2 motocross bikes with him. Do you have any help or advice that you found out to pass on? Thanks
Have sent you a PM