Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping my Ducati to Canada from the UK...help

Shipping my Ducati to Canada from the UK...help

Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant future
Default Shipping my Ducati to Canada from the UK...help

SO i have a beautiful 2002 ducati 748 and I am going to canada soon to live with my girlfriend now I really dont want to sell my bike and I would love to take it over.

Im struggling to find information on how to do it. I keep reading that you can only bring the bike over if its 15 years old or more which seems ridiculous.

Any Help would greatly be appreciated!

Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping my Ducati to Canada from the UK...help

http://www.riv.ca/

Wait five years or so then consider the weather and cost of insurance.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jbrhartley
SO i have a beautiful 2002 ducati 748 and I am going to canada soon to live with my girlfriend now I really dont want to sell my bike and I would love to take it over.

Im struggling to find information on how to do it. I keep reading that you can only bring the bike over if its 15 years old or more which seems ridiculous.

Any Help would greatly be appreciated!

Have you tried the yellow pages J R ?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant futureJbrhartley has a brilliant future

what a joke... i have the money to ship it, its a motorcycle that runs on the same fuel in any country around the world how can i possibly be harming anyone. But no, red tape and government bull$hit stops me. I cant sell it, i love it. I'll have to keep in storage till 5 years from now :-)

maybe i should ship it to mexico and drive it all the way to peterborough ON haha
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

what a joke... i have the money to ship it, its a motorcycle that runs on the same fuel in any country around the world how can i possibly be harming anyone. But no, red tape and government bull$hit stops me. I cant sell it, i love it. I'll have to keep in storage till 5 years from now :-)

maybe i should ship it to mexico and drive it all the way to peterborough ON haha
Mexico, not a bad idea actually! Would you ship and store it in Canada for five years ?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
Mexico, not a bad idea actually! Would you ship and store it in Canada for five years ?
i'd love to partake in such an adventurer but no i could just store in the uk then get it shipped in well four years to be exact.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Importing vehicles into Canada can be a comlex process. Check out the following web site for guidance www.cbsa.gc.ca. This is the web site for the Canadian Border agency that oversees vehicle importation. It gets complicated because of the AutoPact we have with the US. And you are right, unless it is fifteen years or older there no way to import without avoiding having to pay importation duties and GST/PST.
The rules are outlined on this web site. They do give examples of vehicles less than fifteen years old. The one they quote is a $50.000 vehicle. It ends up paying approximately $2600 in duties and taxes. Check the site out and see what can be done.
The fifteen year rule is only used to avoid any import duties. There is also a ten year rule for Vehicles from Mexico. But that wouldn't apply to you.
On the site they also mention country of origin etc. Check it out you may be surprised that you can bring the bike in. However, you may have to pay the going rate.
Good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:46 pm
Yo

i'd love to partake in such an adventurer but no i could just store in the uk then get it shipped in well four years to be exact.
Maybe you can ship it to St Pierre (French island near Newfoundland) store it there, then have the chance to ride it from time to time while you are waiting the four years.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

Have you done a goods to follow list? From what I gather a younger vehicle can be taken over as a possession of a first time settler.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-index-446.htm
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:46 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Get a friend to dismantle it and peice by peice have him send it over here via FedEx.

Or

Sell it and buy another one once you passed your test here (Ontario anyhow)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:53 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Get a friend to dismantle it and peice by peice have him send it over here via FedEx.
Now that's out of the box thinking! (Or in the box in this particular case)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

AberystwythGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We have looked extensively at shipping our 2 cars with us when we settle. We have found that if you are settling you can bring a vehicle with you BUT and its a big BUT you have to prove that they comply with Canadian or American road safety standards. In our case niether BMW or Porsche were able to help us. We are now in the process of flogging our cars.

message me if you want any info that we got from transport canada.

I doubt that breaking it up would help you as you would still have to register it again in Canada and what would you register it as?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:07 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AberystwythGirl;what would you register it as?[/QUOTE]

If he moves to Brampton, A Dubattie
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AberystwythGirl
We are now in the process of flogging our cars.
Why would you punish your cars, its not their fault?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.