Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping a mattress question

Shipping a mattress question

Old May 19th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice
Default Shipping a mattress question

Hi.

I have been reading the book " live and work in Canada" making sure we are keeping on top of everything we have to do before we leave, and on the section about shipping your household goods, it states any mattresses you ship have to be cleaned and fumigated, and have documents stating when it was done and the process/ chemicals used.

I checked wiki and it says you do not need this done.

As anyone been asked by customs for a fumigation certificate?
Old May 19th 2008, 5:33 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a mattress question

We weren't.
Old May 19th 2008, 5:37 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
We were not asked for one.
x
Old May 19th 2008, 5:43 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Here is Canada Border Services Agency's Memorandum D9-1-7 concerning Used Mattresses.

It specifically states that items imported under Item No. 9807.00.00 (concerning Settlers' Effects) are exempt from the requirement for fumigation.

In the 3+ years that I've participated on this forum this topic has been raised several times, and I don't remember a single instance in which a new settler was required to have a used mattress fumigated.

Would it be possible for you to provide a link to the "Live and Work in Canada" book to which you referred?
x
Old May 19th 2008, 5:56 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped 3 and had no problems............but had the same worry at the time as you
Old May 19th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

i read that book a couple of years ago and raised the same question on here sometime ago. I believe that rule applies if you are importing matresses to resell in Canada. Personal use is not a problem, we brought 3 with us.

Chris
Old May 19th 2008, 6:04 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

I have been reading the book " live and work in Canada" making sure we are keeping on top of everything we have to do before we leave, and on the section about shipping your household goods, it states any mattresses you ship have to be cleaned and fumigated, and have documents stating when it was done and the process/ chemicals used.

We brought two foam single mattresses and two z beds with deep mattresses, no problems encountered.
Old May 19th 2008, 6:06 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

I have been reading the book " live and work in Canada"
I bought that book. It's rubbish.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Joseph is an unknown quantity at this point

Best to do it in the SPRING!
Old May 20th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

TERRIBLE!!!
Old May 20th 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
TERRIBLE!!!
Yep, 3 mattresses here too - no problems whatsoever...and yes, we had read that about the need to fumigate too.

E&J
Old May 20th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Hi.

When we came we didn't have to fumigate.....We wished though that we'd left them in the UK...because the Kids wanted double beds, and we wanted the biggest bed around..so we just bought new ones.
Old May 20th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

We shipped 4 without any problems - we have had a few problems with bed linen though, the bed sizes are a bit different here.