Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping insurance

Shipping insurance

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all
Default Shipping insurance

..boring boring boring, I know, I'm boring myself!

Has anyone ever arranged separate shipping insurance for their container? I am keen to insure to a certain extent ie would be devastated if the thing fell off the ship but don't want to overinsure, which is what I think we'd end up doing if we went with the policy offered by the moving company we're using, Robinsons.

We're bringing 20ft container to Vancouver Island but doubt it's going to be full. Unless we can itemise every item (we can't as it's been in storage and gawd knows what's there til we get there to sort it out next week) there is a minimum amount payable for insurance per sq foot of container space or some such faff. I think the premium would be about 600 pounds which is a bit much. I mean, insurance is a gamble anyway, isn't it and I don't think I'd bet 600 pounds that we'd need to claim (and have a successful claim!)

Anyway, if anyone's got any thoughts, I'd very much appreciate them....
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping insurance

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle

Has anyone ever arranged separate shipping insurance for their container? I am keen to insure to a certain extent ie would be devastated if the thing fell off the ship but don't want to overinsure, which is what I think we'd end up doing if we went with the policy offered by the moving company we're using, Robinsons.

We're bringing 20ft container to Vancouver Island but doubt it's going to be full. Unless we can itemise every item (we can't as it's been in storage and gawd knows what's there til we get there to sort it out next week) there is a minimum amount payable for insurance per sq foot of container space or some such faff. I think the premium would be about 600 pounds which is a bit much. I mean, insurance is a gamble anyway, isn't it and I don't think I'd bet 600 pounds that we'd need to claim (and have a successful claim!)

I've not seen quotes based on sq ft so not sure how that works. We went with Letton Percival for our shipping insurance. They offer very competative rates but they do have an excess which many of the insurances offered by the shippers do not appear to. Most of the insurance I have seen is based on a percentage of the value of the goods shipped. I think we paid 1.6% with Letton Percival.

Also worthwhile trying to negotiate a lower percentage from the shippers if that is the way you choose to go. I think some people have got there insurance down to 1.5%.

You need to be careful which 'insurance' you choose. Some of the shippers offer limited liability which if I remember correctly is not actually insurance. I would suggest the marine insurance which will insure you from door to door.

There is plenty of posts on the forum regarding shipping insurance. I read through many of therse posts and learnt lots of useful info.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

Any insurance is a gamble. I Insured hoping the container would fall overboard but alas it didn't!!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Thanks!

Will check out previous posts and Letton Percival.

Or go without... hmm... seems that people have problems claiming when they need to.

I have the name and date of departure from Southampton of the ship so I'll be watching the news carefully!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Anita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle

We moved over in Oct & had a few quotes, Robinsons was one of them. In the end it was between Robinsons & Fox, we kept asking them to match each others prices & insurance ended up being 1% of what we decided was the value of our shipment. What I am saying is that the market is competative you can haggle with them.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:40 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR MOM
Any insurance is a gamble. I Insured hoping the container would fall overboard but alas it didn't!!
It's estimated over 10,000 containers are lost at sea each year (out of 100,000,000 shipped).
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Anita100
We moved over in Oct & had a few quotes, Robinsons was one of them. In the end it was between Robinsons & Fox, we kept asking them to match each others prices & insurance ended up being 1% of what we decided was the value of our shipment. What I am saying is that the market is competative you can haggle with them.
Oo, thanks Anita, I might go back to Robinsons then. I certainly had fun haggling over the cost of the shipment but didn't even try on the insurance. The peace of mind would be nice as long as it's not over the score price-wise!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:09 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

i certainly haggled between pickfords, robinsons and overs......pickfords won!!!! between the three of them, i eventually got over £1500. off the original quotes......

as to insurance, it is advisable to get marine insurance.....this is obviously specific to the marine industry and is just not the same as an odinary insurancce.......as a rule of thumb, the average insurance is between £30 and £40 per box for the claim!!!!! unless otherwise stated.....ie. valuables, which need to be insured seperatley.......

also, i was told, that you need to put in any claim within 30days of it leaving the shippers custom....so, if you have it delivered to your new home, then you got to un-pack PDQ.....every item!!!!!