Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping - I'm so mad

Shipping - I'm so mad

Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:00 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - I'm so mad

I'm also curious about who you used. Our stuff is currently in transit, due to arrive in Toronto at the end of the month! We haven't had any communication from them yet as to whether the amount quoted had changed from the actual measurement (hopefully not!)... we did have 3 companies come in to do quotes, 2 of them were nearly the same and one came up massively under, but we could see exactly what he underestimated in comparison and agreed with the higher estimates...
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all
Angry Re: Shipping - I'm so mad

Still mad. I am going to try and make this brief. Contacted the company who told me to go through the inventory they gave us and the list from the packers. I did. I also called the BAR. When I rang back and told her that the estimators obviously didn't know what they were doing e.g estimated 5 boxes for kitchenware and it was 7 etc etc, I also dropped in that I had contacted BAR. She said she'd go to her manager and come back to me, but she would have to look at the inventory and the packers' list (not easy to marry the two up with the way they pack and the terminology they use).

Anyway, we then start getting e-mailed to say that we should pay the cost without the added £744 or they would hold the goods. Needless to say, I was not happy and told them that under no circumstances was that to happen. We immediately told our solicitors (money is being paid from sale of the house) to pay them. They did. I then get another mail to say that to ensure that the goods aren't held then we should pay the full invoice and sort out any discrepancy later. Hmmmmm. We were told the goods were meant to be going today and actually had the packers in 3 days early to ensure they got today as the shipping day.

I have now e-mailed them back and copied in BAR. We tried to phone them straight after the last e-mail but the office was shut (one of those send at 5.15 and run out the office). So tomorrow is another day.

For those of you who are interested - it was PSS.

I'll let you know how we get on. We are now completely at a loss as to whether our goods are being held and we will receive additional charges; whether our money has been accepted and the goods shipped; whether they consider that they have only been part paid and the goods will be held here or in Canada.

This is as brief as it gets I'm afraid.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:28 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Was the original figure given (cost) an estimate or a set amount based on their assessment of your belongings?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:30 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Once they have your stuff, the firm - with us PSS also - have you over a metaphorical barrel. Our container had to change ships in LA (something that seems to happen all the time with PSS) and we were charged for the privilege!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Once they have your stuff, the firm - with us PSS also - have you over a metaphorical barrel. Our container had to change ships in LA (something that seems to happen all the time with PSS) and we were charged for the privilege!
Yep, there is not much you can do but smile through gritted teeth and pay up. We were fleeced by the (UK) company who moved our stuff. The insurance was three times what they "estimated" up from £700 to over £2,000. The choices we were given were:

a) pay up and shut up.

b) send someone to collect the contents of a 20' container from the street outside their storage facility where it would be unloaded if we hadn't paid the bill in full by 5.00 pm.

As we were due to fly the next day it was no choice at all.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Was the original figure given (cost) an estimate or a set amount based on their assessment of your belongings?
We accepted a price based on their estimate of our goods. It was for a certain amount of goods to go into a 40ft container. My argument is how their estimator of how many boxes etc was needed for our goods was so far off the mark that they make us pay and additional £744. The way in which they are now threatening us (we have never said we will withhold payment) by holding our goods and making us pay for storage is disgraceful. As I told them, I could walk into a house and say you need 40 boxes for this and then charge the maximum amount possible for not meeting the estimate.

Sorry, I'm off ranting again.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yep, there is not much you can do but smile through gritted teeth and pay up. We were fleeced by the (UK) company who moved our stuff. The insurance was three times what they "estimated" up from £700 to over £2,000. The choices we were given were:

a) pay up and shut up.

b) send someone to collect the contents of a 20' container from the street outside their storage facility where it would be unloaded if we hadn't paid the bill in full by 5.00 pm.

As we were due to fly the next day it was no choice at all.
I've told them that I'll pay in full and sort this all out afterwards rather than hold my goods. But I will become their nemesis for as long as my anger holds out (which will be some time to come!)
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maplease
I've told them that I'll pay in full and sort this all out afterwards rather than hold my goods. But I will become their nemesis for as long as my anger holds out (which will be some time to come!)
Or you could just pay it and go and have a nice Chinese or Indian meal and at the weekend go to a museum or the pictures.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Maplease
I have complete sympathy with you. With time it will just be another chapter in the saga that is moving continents. But right now it's another major stress and expense you neither need or expected. For what it's worth I can only vaguely remember what our shipping cost was now. It all fades with time. Sounds like PSS are getting a bit of a reputation for moving the goal posts.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:20 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I did a ton of reading on here before calling companies for quotes... PSS has an awful reputation around here, the worst I think. I know it doesn't help...

Hopefully it gets sorted soon. For anyone else looking for shippers... Do your research.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:22 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

Urf - everyone's biggest fear. I'm booking my shippers imminently, thankfully not with PSS - think we're going to go with Moving Partnership as they seem to have a good track record on here, and the price is right (2nd choice was Pickfords).

Really hope it all gets sorted for you soon - what a bunch of <unmentionables> !
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:49 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Pickford charged us for 100cuft over what we used, we had an estimate then sent it group age, when it arrived after we left and went back to uk, held in bonded warehouse for a month and then shipped it back it was mysteriously 100 cuft less. I panicked thinking they had lost/left something. Turns out no, they just re- measured it and look we are saving you money.
Politely declined my request to refund original overcharge of 100 cuft as it was based on information supplied at the time and all disputes have to be notified in writing within 14 days.
Ladies and gentleman I give you Pickfords... Needless to say I'm not using them next month when I can finally afford to ship again!
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:38 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

They really do have us over a barrel, so much faith put into the process.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Complete minefield. I did do my research, but it was the case of trying to choose the best of a bad bunch. I read through a lot of reviews and for every bad one, someone else said they were OK. Anyway, the saga continues and I am going to formally complain to BAR next week. I am soon going to have plenty of time to go through the process as I am about to have an op and will be laid up with nothing to do except rubbish daytime telly and my laptop.

So, I am forgetting about it for a couple of days and enjoying myself (thanks for the suggestions Oink) and will pick up from where I left off next week. I'm afraid it isn't in my makeup to just forget about it, wish I could.

Am feeling calmer now though. Thanks for letting me vent
Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:21 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

good luck!

GB Liners have just done a follow-up call with me and offered to knock off a few hundred £ to get them back in the running ... hehe ... salesmen ... swings and roundabouts with who to choose, you're so right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.