Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping/courier options for a few boxes

Shipping/courier options for a few boxes

Old Jan 20th 2020, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping/courier options for a few boxes

We have just 5-6 boxes of stuff to bring. What is the best way to move them from London(UK) to Halifax(NS)?
Old Jan 24th 2020, 2:04 am
Asian nomad

scrubbedexpat019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping/courier options for a few boxes

It will be best for you to query shippers at your end, as conditions and certainly rates will vary in Canada.

Suggest you check local web sites and make a few phone calls. Remember to ask if customs fees are included in the quotes. Also insurance. This can be sky-high and you may want to insure independently if the shipper will allow it. Some do, others don't.

In my experience, most shippers won't quote you a fixed price in your first call. Decide which shipper/s you will want to use and query again. They will then be most helpful.

I had to do this a few years ago, Canada to Australia. My boxes went by 'surface' (sea) and took ages and ages, but arrived safely after a few months.

Remember to pack well as crockery, glassware, fragile collectables etc etc are easily broken/damaged in transit. Good, strong boxes and a lot of packing filler will help, also lots of tape!!

I hope this helps. Be sure to enjoy the ordeal...
Old Jan 24th 2020, 2:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

My parents sent about 7 boxes of my stuff over using Parcel2Go, they have a Hermes (UK) -> Landmark -> CanadaPost service that is fairly affordable. I think it cost them around £200 in total.

Only thing is you have to declare the value on each parcel as less than $18CAD (currently around £10) otherwise it will arrive with taxes on the delivery as Canada Post COD charges and there is zero way to contest the sales tax or broker it yourself like there is with other couriers. This means however if the parcel gets lost you can't claim much.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jan 24th 2020 at 8:32 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 4:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Bring them airfreight on the same flight as you will be on - include them on your goods accompanying/to follow lists, collect them from the cargo department when you arrive, clear them through customs (that's where the goods accompanying/to follow lists come in) and then take them in the back of a pick up truck or van or SUV to your place of residence. (you usually have 24 hours to collect, so you could do it the next day)

Who are you flying with? If you were flying to Toronto I'd suggest Air Transat Cargo - very reasonable rates and you can arrange it yourself..