Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Costs paid by Employer - what to bring?

Wikiposts

Shipping Costs paid by Employer - what to bring?

Old May 5th 2010, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

njc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nicenjc1982 is just really nice
Default Shipping Costs paid by Employer - what to bring?

I am in very fortunate position that my hubbie's new employer is paying all shipping costs (up to $15000 CAD) as part of relocation package.

Just wondering to max out the container, if there is anything we should perhaps bring from the UK (i.e. baby nappies) in bulk that are more expensive in Canada and so should take advantage of the 'free' shipping.
Old May 5th 2010, 11:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Costs paid by Employer - what to bring?

Baby Nappies are unavailble in Canada but fortunately Diapers are easily found so no problems there.

Aside from bringing absolutely everything I owned minus electrical stuff, I would think about bedding, towels and perhaps some furniture as other stuff to buy to take up any free space in the container.
Old May 5th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

$15000 cnd wow that is alot of container space? Where to?

What about subletting part of your container and taking my stuff too??? For a reasonable fee of course...

Sarah x
Old May 6th 2010, 1:47 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Get a quote for a 40' container; get an estimate of the total volume your stuff will fill; buy up enough furniture to fill your new home (likely as not to have more rooms than your current UK home, so consider an extra sofa & chairs for the family room, occasional tables, bookcases etc); fill the remaining space with Marmite, Ribena and Dairy Milk.

As AX said, if you're bringing UK beds it may be worth getting some extra bedding as the sizes are slightly different in North America. Don't bother with stuff like nappies - normal prices might be slightly higher in Canada but I can't remember the last time there wasn't some sort of sale on in either Walmart or Loblaws, especially if you're not particular about brand.

$15k seems pretty generous for just the shipping portion of a relocation package. It may be that you're struck it lucky, but are you sure you're not expected to cover other expenses from that?
Old May 6th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by njc1982
I am in very fortunate position that my hubbie's new employer is paying all shipping costs (up to $15000 CAD) as part of relocation package.

Just wondering to max out the container, if there is anything we should perhaps bring from the UK (i.e. baby nappies) in bulk that are more expensive in Canada and so should take advantage of the 'free' shipping.
If you can get a hold of solid oak furniture pieces, such as the coat/hat/brolly holder with mirror that sat in hallways decades ago, ship em over. They are much sought after in Canada. Any old mantles and fireplace accessories you can get a hold of too. Old crockery and china...the sort you find in London...of genuine provenance but not necessarily expensive, is also sought after here...pottery etc. Almost anything that you can put in your living/dining/family rooms that convey Brit history are worthwhile shipping over, including paintings and wallhangings. Oh, good crystal ware too.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

At 15K just about everything in your house other than electrics that are not easily used with a transformer!

I think beds are expensive out here but you can but the frames on craig's list or similar. If you bring beds make sure you bring bedding due to sizes being different!

Alcohol is expensive in comparison to UK but you have to pay duty if you ship it!

I would suggest non-perishable foods such as OXO, Bisto, branston pickle, squash and anything else similar that you have a liking for as it is expensive to buy them over here!

Where are you relocating too as that might have a bearing on what to bring!

Yelkcub
Old May 7th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I would bring absolutely everything you can. They be paying...then...you be bringing.

If you like any particular flavoured crisps or wotsits I would definitely get a job lot of them. They seem to be very limited flavour wise in Canada. I would also bring your fav squash as you can't get that there...you might be lucky enough to find Ribena, but you will pay a lot for it. I'm taking Lillets (Their version is not nice...suppose it is what you get used to eh?) , OXO's (you can get oxo sachets, but they are expensive and dont hold as much as a cube.) and all my dry cupboard herbs, spices. Hellmans Mayo is more expensive and small jars. Take your sauces, Heinz Tomato, HP etc.

Cadburys chocolate is different in Canada, so you might want to stock up to help with your eventual transition if you are, like most women in UK, dependant....lol...

Bedding, if you are taking UK beds and quilts, get some other sets. If like me....you like what you like...it would be hard for you to shop for those through other people who may be visiting.

I am also getting a new Rotary clothes line to take...haven't seen them in Canada. People have comented to our friends that they knew their neighbours were Brits coz of the Rotary line they had?????

Plan a shopping list for when your friends want to visit....of what you would like them to secrete into their luggage for you......just to keep up the supply chain.

I think thats covered everything from my point of view. Be aware that you can't take alcohol or fresh foods and nothing of a plant like nature (except dried herbs)
Hope this helps
Stef.

Originally Posted by njc1982

Old May 7th 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

RE Alcohol
You have to get a permit to import even the smallest amount BEFORE you ship it and you will get hammered for duty. Have a Party to use it all up! If two adults fly in...you will be able to bring 2 litres of spirits with you to start off the 'New' drinks cabinet.
Stef

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
At 15K just about everything in your house other than electrics that are not easily used with a transformer!

I think beds are expensive out here but you can but the frames on craig's list or similar. If you bring beds make sure you bring bedding due to sizes being different!

Alcohol is expensive in comparison to UK but you have to pay duty if you ship it!

I would suggest non-perishable foods such as OXO, Bisto, branston pickle, squash and anything else similar that you have a liking for as it is expensive to buy them over here!

Where are you relocating too as that might have a bearing on what to bring!

Yelkcub
Old May 7th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi
You want them to bring a BUSINESS with them? There are rules about that you know? Ye gods....that's a surefire way to get into trouble if customs open that shipment.....difficult to explain away 10 fireplace and 20 sets of crockery...me thinks....lol
Stef

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
If you can get a hold of solid oak furniture pieces, such as the coat/hat/brolly holder with mirror that sat in hallways decades ago, ship em over. They are much sought after in Canada. Any old mantles and fireplace accessories you can get a hold of too. Old crockery and china...the sort you find in London...of genuine provenance but not necessarily expensive, is also sought after here...pottery etc. Almost anything that you can put in your living/dining/family rooms that convey Brit history are worthwhile shipping over, including paintings and wallhangings. Oh, good crystal ware too.
Old May 8th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
You want them to bring a BUSINESS with them? There are rules about that you know? Ye gods....that's a surefire way to get into trouble if customs open that shipment.....difficult to explain away 10 fireplace and 20 sets of crockery...me thinks....lol
Stef
Of course not. These are furnishings with character otherwise available here in Canada at exorbitant prices.