Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BOC says growth 'front loaded' as if it's a good thing.

BOC says growth 'front loaded' as if it's a good thing.

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default BOC says growth 'front loaded' as if it's a good thing.

http://www.news1130.com/news/nationa...overy-boc-says

But the bank cautions that much of the activity is a result of front-loaded spending by Canadians as a result of extraordinary government stimulus and low interest rates.
No fcking kidding. To paraphrase.

The economy "grew" cos we've all borrowed loads of cash and now have ridiculously large debts we didn't have before the recession.
In summary: Debt is wealth and Canadians are richer than ever.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BOC says growth 'front loaded' as if it's a good thing.

Or: the economy grew because we spent a load of money getting our houses fixed up because the government were giving us a $1,350 hand-out.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Or: the economy grew because we borrowed a load of money getting our houses fixed up because the government were giving us a $1,350 hand-out.
Though I accept that encouraging business activity is a good thing; I never thought much of this scheme. It either brings forward spending that would be done anyway (so has no net economic effect) or is just a one off that isn't repeated. It might be enough to keep some business from going under for a short time, whether it's enough in the long term is yet to be seen.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Though I accept that encouraging business activity is a good thing; I never thought much of this scheme. It either brings forward spending that would be done anyway (so has no net economic effect) or is just a one off that isn't repeated. It might be enough to keep some business from going under for a short time, whether it's enough in the long term is yet to be seen.
It's keeping things going long enough for the rats to leave the sinking ship. Keep an eye out for CEOs leaving, CFOs taking up contracts in The Far East, and Income Trusts converting into corporations just as their 'payout' abilities fade.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.news1130.com/news/nationa...overy-boc-says

No fcking kidding. To paraphrase.

In summary: Debt is wealth and Canadians are richer than ever.
I cannot see the decimated manufacturing sector in Ontario coming back soon either.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
It's keeping things going long enough for the rats to leave the sinking ship. Keep an eye out for CEOs leaving, CFOs taking up contracts in The Far East, and Income Trusts converting into corporations just as their 'payout' abilities fade.
Do you have evidence of this? I haven't seen anything like that reported.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

HST in Ontario and BC will soon stop any growth
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by ray1968
My gut reaction is to agree. However I know JonboyE thinks otherwise and he makes a good argument which has me mostly convinced. I think I'll wait and see though, however I do think any negative effects of the HST are going to be dwarfed by the effects of interest rate increases, new mortgage rules and the high dollar stifling exports.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Do you have evidence of this? I haven't seen anything like that reported.
snitches get castrated
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ray1968
I thought it stopped a long time ago in Ontario. When I came here in 1987, there were plenty of good paying jobs. All I have seen since the early 1990s is a gradual decline. Last year Ontario experienced 59% of Canada's job losses. Those that came in the 50s and 60s did the best.

http://www.nupge.ca/content/job-crea...dget-goal-ccpa

Okay, they say it is improving this year. I wonder if the salaries are?

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 23rd 2010 at 8:50 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

My gut reaction is to agree. However I know JonboyE thinks otherwise and he makes a good argument which has me mostly convinced. I think I'll wait and see though, however I do think any negative effects of the HST are going to be dwarfed by the effects of interest rate increases, new mortgage rules and the high dollar stifling exports.
I don't know about HST but I agree with you on the interest rate, mortgages and exchange rate. All of this depends on what happens in the USA.

Looks like Greece is going to need more money and now the target for the speculators is Portugal. Eventually the Germans will decide they've put enough money in. Who knows what will happen then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8639440.stm
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I don't know about HST but I agree with you on the interest rate, mortgages and exchange rate. All of this depends on what happens in the USA.
I'd say Obama is going to keep printing money at least until the election; he really has no other choice if he doesn't want an even bigger massacre in Democrat seats than he's already sure to get.

Eventually the Germans will decide they've put enough money in. Who knows what will happen then?
Either the Greeks and other spendthrifts are kicked out of the Euro or Germany leaves; at which point the whole EU is likely to fall apart. If we're lucky it will go back to just a free trade zone, because centralised government over such diverse cultures never made any sense.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I'd say Obama is going to keep printing money at least until the election; he really has no other choice if he doesn't want an even bigger massacre in Democrat seats than he's already sure to get.

Either the Greeks and other spendthrifts are kicked out of the Euro or Germany leaves; at which point the whole EU is likely to fall apart. If we're lucky it will go back to just a free trade zone, because centralised government over such diverse cultures never made any sense.
I think it's quite possible the Euro will fall apart - thats what the speculators are betting on. The EU will continue, hopefully with reduced role though.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarkG

Yes, they have already identified the culprits with an acronym (PIIGS) and most of these countries never qualified to join the EU anyway. Imagine what will happen when Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia and the other lame ducks become fully fledged members?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by jimf
I think it's quite possible the Euro will fall apart - thats what the speculators are betting on. The EU will continue, hopefully with reduced role though.
I can't see the germans letting the euro fail, but I agree that I can't see them bailing out the likes of greece forever. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.