Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Costs Info (including Robinson's: A Rant)

Shipping Costs Info (including Robinson's: A Rant)

Old Jun 7th 2006, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Costs Info (including Robinson's: A Rant)

Originally Posted by Bleech
We had a problem with Robinsons.
They gave us a quote which we agreed to, they turned up and packed up all our stuff, cool. Then we had a call to say that they underestimated how much space we'd need and said we need to pay an extra 700 pounds!! WTF?!?? It's not our fault you cocked up your estimates. Rang them back and they sayed it was either that or they'd have to bring our stuff back, I was that close to telling them to bring it all back, but we just wanted it shipped out. Rang them back and they somehow managed to reduce the 700 quid to 400 which we begrudgingly paid.
Having said that though the stuff was shipped out on time as promised and delivered very quickly with no damages.
Not impressed with their estimates though.
Sounds like a similar trick would have been pulled on us.

These people know they've got you by the short and curlies at a pretty stressful time - seems some would rather exploit that than try and smooth things along.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Here are the five quotes + insurance we got in the order we received them (this is for a sole use 20' container, Manchester to Guelph, Ontario, shipper to pack, removal date 19-20 June) with a little info on each:

Anglo Pacific - £3,937 + 3%
They quoted a shipping time of 10 weeks which made us later think after hearing everybody else say 5-6 weeks that they were cheating us a bit here, possibly by sending us groupage or waiting for a 40' container going the same way without telling us.

Britannia - £3,590 + 3%
They would have been in the running as they came in with the third lowest price initially, but they are unable to shift on cost, apparently.

GB Liners - £3,948 + 2.75%
The salesman said he'd give us 2.5% insurance on his visit, but when the quote came in the post it had gone up to 2.75%!! He also said he'd call us with the quote before it came in the post. He didn't.

Robinson's - £3,500 + 2.75%
Their salesman originally gave us a price of £3,700 + 3% but said he knew he'd be more competitive with £3,500 and said he'd also give us 2.75%. He also said that he could do a bit more bartering to get it down if need be. However - see below...

White's - £3,505 + 3%
The guy came on Friday and called almost as soon as he was back at the office with his quote. I told a porky and said we'd had a quote for £3,400 and 2.5% - could he match that. He said he'd call back today (Monday) and true to his word, he did... He also said that they were booking up pretty fast though and we'd need to make a decision by Monday afternoon.

This is where the fun started.

White's said the best they could do would be £3,460 + 2.5%. I was confident that Robinson's would go down to £3,400 and match the insurance, which was the gamble I took in telling White's my little white lie.
Britannia called as well and got themselves out of the running by not being willing, or able, to negotiate on the price. So - I called Robinson's and told the salesman that if he could do it for £3,400 + 2.5% they'd have the business. Let me check the shipping, he told me, and I'll call you back in half an hour.

Three hours and three phone calls (to them) later, we get a call from somebody different.
The quote is £3,600 + 2.75%.
The £3,500 was apparently a "ballpark figure"...
We were pretty pissed off.
So - instead of Robinson's dropping their price, it had actually gone up!
Not only that, but we'd wasted an afternoon when we could have just said yes to White's who had already told us that they would be struggling to fit us in if we didn't give them a definite yes or no soon.

Fortunately, they're able to juggle a couple of things around and should be able to come to us as requested.

But as for Robinson's - pah! Bloody cowboys!
In our experience a lot of the salesman from the UK packing companies don't know what they are talking about.

They initially were quoting six weeks for shipping time from UK to delivery to Waterloo in Ontario (very close to Guelph). I have some knowledge of shipping and kept saying it should be much quicker and this proved to be the case.

Packers took 3 days to pack (most contents of a 5 bedroom house) including loading the container which took place on 3rd March. Goods were delivered to our house in Canada on 22nd March so 19 days door to door.

We were also told we had to land in Canada before our container which was also rubbish. For Guelph the container will arrive at the port and is then sent by rail to Toronto which takes a few days. The shipping company then have to take delivery of the container and at that point they issue you paperwork. You go with this paperwork to customs at Toronto airport and they sign the documentation (takes minutes), you fax the signed copy to the shipping co and they deliver the goods.

We used Pickfords, not the cheapest, but the service we received from their Canadian side was excellent.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

We used Crown and they were excellent from start to finish. We could track the ship online. It took 3 weeks from packing to get to Montreal, but there was then congestion at the docks so the ship couldn't get in to unload for a few days. They kept us informed and we were priority for when they unloaded. The stuff came by rail to Toronto, we didn't have to go to customs as they did it all for us, we just had to be at the house when it was delivered. The cost was 3500 pounds (Oct 2003), plus we only insured large items of furniture and not the whole shipment as it wouldn't really have mattered if some of the stuff had gone overboard!!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
We are planning on using Pickfords. Although they were a few hundred quid more than the rest of our quotes, I just felt that you only get what you pay for.

Raine
I'm not sure that makes any difference really. We used Pickfords and once they had our money and the stuff had left the UK they weren't that interested. All of our stuff was hopelessly delayed once it arrived in Canada and we didn't see it for three months but as I say Pickfords showed very little interest at that stage. When it did arrive it was minus one carton too.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:04 pm
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future

I phoned Robinsons to ask for someone to come around and give me a quote to the West Coast. Spoke to a lovely lady who said she would pass it on to the local rep. not heard anything since!!! Guess I'm not using them then!!!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

BTTT for APFairhurst...
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that there are no opinions on Excess on this thread.
I have done a search and most of what came up was from the Oz forum.

Has anyone used them to go to Canada? If so what did you think?

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

dont excess only take boxes - they told me they dont take furniture or anything that could be classed as 'personal items;
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
I noticed that there are no opinions on Excess on this thread.
I have done a search and most of what came up was from the Oz forum.

Has anyone used them to go to Canada? If so what did you think?

Thanks.
Hi Woodstock
I rang budget shipping international for a quote, and they sent a guy round who said we had 10 cubic metres to ship. Next day we got a quote from him for £1900 region. Then I rang Excess baggage who gve me a quote for approx £300 less, but during the conversation, it turned out they were the same company as budget shipping!!!! So why is there a difference of £300 in the two quotes?
Needless to say, I won't be using them, as it obviously depends which sales person you get, and how greedy they are for their commision.
I've got a couple of company's coming round next week, and if you're interested I'll let you know how much they quote.(We're going to TO)
Sally
Old Jun 8th 2006, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stubby and Sally,
Thanks for your replies.
The company we have had dealings with is Excess International Movers, based in London. Their website has a differnt name - overseasremovals.

We have a quote for around 700 cubic feet. At the mo i have nothing to compare it to as I'm still waiting for the others to send me theirs. We are going to Calgary btw.

It's a really difficult decision to make I have to say.

Thanks for any further info you have.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, did any of you get/ could any of you give a breakdown of costs?

I'm teying to get an idea on how much these guys are charging just/ where their mark up is
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of

Just been looking at 1st Move International
http://www.shipit.co.uk/internationa..._to_canada.htm

First impressions seem good as they are stating that they charge for your exact volume and pallet and shrink wrap everything.

Times given are 10 days for Montreal, 12 days for Toronto and 27 days for Vancouver

I am waiting for email back with price after submitting online estimate.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a similar trick would have been pulled on us.

These people know they've got you by the short and curlies at a pretty stressful time - seems some would rather exploit that than try and smooth things along.
Looks like they make a habit of underestimating, Robinson have sent us a bill for another 500 pounds for 100 more cu feet, AND when they were packing up they told us we had too much so we had to bin two mattresses and one divan bed base plus 6 boxes of books.

They also said some furniture was "chipped and gouged" this is stuff that was handmade and doesnt have a mark on it. We rang them and they guy apologised saying the packers were "over zealous"

we've also had a letter saying our stuff in in Toronto ready for delivery, but they told us it would be mid october so now we have to sort out storage for it all

angry letters have been sent saking them to take responsbility for their own errors in underestimating by 45%, will see what reply we get. But overall I wouldnt recommend Robinsons at all
Old Aug 18th 2006, 6:25 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

I have this afternoon received a "quote" from a shipping company for nearer £2000+vat + local delivery.

See my update to my original thread about do-it-yourself cotainer shipping that I will post shortly. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390702

Ian.

Here are the five quotes + insurance we got in the order we received them (