Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping costs (again)

Shipping costs (again)

Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Shipping costs (again)

Has anyone shipped a small amount of stuff in a shared container? We're literally planning to take about 4 boxes of books/dvds, a box of china, and a box of clothes, so we don't want to pay for a full container. I've done a search, but most of the quotes that people have been given were for full containers. Has anyone moved such a small amount of stuff who could give us an estimate of cost, or do most people just ship everything?

Thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping costs (again)

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Has anyone shipped a small amount of stuff in a shared container? We're literally planning to take about 4 boxes of books/dvds, a box of china, and a box of clothes, so we don't want to pay for a full container. I've done a search, but most of the quotes that people have been given were for full containers. Has anyone moved such a small amount of stuff who could give us an estimate of cost, or do most people just ship everything?

Thanks.
i'm in the same situation.

is regular post or courier an option?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

To an extent...the only concern is potential customs/import costs by using a courier.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

DavidL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
We are going over in January and aren't taking any large items and will have just some packing cases or something similar, if i find any info, i'll pass it on
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi all, we had 10 - 2`x 2` boxes and a folding wooden garden lounger (in bubble-wrap), Ware, Herts to Fundy Bay area, NB., time taken 13 weeks.

It waited at Tusons Brittania in Ware for filling container, then via Southampton - Ship to Toronto - road to Saint John, customs clearance there (all of 90 seconds!).

All in price was £900.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:55 am
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

Thanks.
http://www.shipit.co.uk/Packing_Overseas_Removals.htm is a place that does partial containers
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Try a freight forwarder as well as a moving company. What you are after is a 'LCL' shipment (Less than Container Load). You probably wont get the same full service as a removals company but if you are willing to package up everything yourself really well, arrange your own insurance (or take the risk yourself) and are happy with either dropping off at a depot or for a 'truck' to pitch up to collect rather than a removal lorry then it can work. I shipped 20 boxes of varying size for considerably less than 900 quid but did get a deal through a family connection.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

We didn't ship that small an amount but maybe these figures will help.

We shipped a part container...
2 sofas, 4 pieces of bedroom furniture, couple of large bookshelves, probably 20 boxes of clothes, DVDs, kitchen stuff, sports equipment etc etc (family of 4)

Cost was 1000 pounds for the shipping
270 pounds for insurance

Shipping included them (Brittania) packing it, shared container and delivery to our house here in Ontario. Because immigration didn't look at our packing list on arrival we had to go down to Toronto to clear it with customs (only took 5 minutes) otherwise the shippers could have cleared it.

It did take about 8 weeks to arrive....soem time sitting in the UK waiting for a container and delays due to weather in Montreal.

Gordon

Thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Thanks.
Get a quote for door to port. It is significantly cheaper than a container. You can clear customs and arrange delivery at the other end. Also I don't think courier compaines carry clothes.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

we shipped 14 boxes for 350 london to montreal with cargobookers
definately the best quote and service for us.

are you sure its just 4 boxes? youd be surprised how much stuff you
actually end up taking.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:36 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

We are using these guys http://www.international-movers.com/ and they do all sorts good website to so you can work out what you are going to pay.

I ship small amounts by freight forwarders. There are several around. Try www.cargobookers.co.uk who do sea freight and air freight. I have used these many times for shipments from Hong kong to UK, but not to Canada.
If you want to airfreight and get goods there mighty quick you will have to pay,and it is not cheap. I had about 8 x 20kg boxes sent from USA to me in Uk and it cost me about £900.!!
Fedex and Ups will send but it is not cheap.

Thanks.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 4:42 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Hi, we contacted White and company, like you we are only going to ship very little to Calgary.

Door to door they have quoted us £489 for a 1m cubed space although this doe's not include any duties or taxes that may applicable.

The price doe's include them doing the packing!

Regards, Steve