Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

shipping container

shipping container

Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

jasper62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping container

hi could somebody give me a rough idea of how much a 20ft container packed by myself no expensive removal companies will cost from the uk. i.e southampton to winnipeg.
just want to see if it will be worth taking our stuff or buying new the other end, as we dont have much.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:52 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping container

Originally Posted by jasper62
hi could somebody give me a rough idea of how much a 20ft container packed by myself no expensive removal companies will cost from the uk. i.e southampton to winnipeg.
just want to see if it will be worth taking our stuff or buying new the other end, as we dont have much.
Try searching the threads, jasper - there are loads of recent threads on this and people might not bother to post the same info repeatedly.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ What Helcat said. Lots of threads on the cost of shipping in the main Canada forum, where I will move this thread to - the immigration forum is only for legal/visa related type stuff.

Usually much cheaper to ship your stuff than buy everything new just fyi - if you think of everything you'd take with you, from big furniture to a potato peeler and garlic press, it would cost you a lot (and take ages) to replace it!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I've been quoted $2200 US to ship from Sussex to Halifax NS for a 40'. I have to add insurance to this and release from customs. Apparently a 20' would be approx $500 US less. Does that help?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Catsteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Which Company please DandNHill?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I've been quoted $2200 US to ship from Sussex to Halifax NS for a 40'. I have to add insurance to this and release from customs. Apparently a 20' would be approx $500 US less. Does that help?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

The Logans will become famous soon enoughThe Logans will become famous soon enough

Hi
I ve been quoted £4600 for a 45 foot high cube from Scotland to Virden (2.5 hours from Winnipeg). I know we have had to pay a premium for the high cube but it is theonly way we can fir our tractors in.
We are using Julie at James Cargo based in Manchester and she has been really helpful.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catsteve
Which Company please DandNHill?
This is the website. The guy I spoke to is Martin Lee. He was a really nice guy and was full of info. Our logic is that there is always somebody who has had a bad experience with the packing of their container so we're using our local removal company, who has moved us several times, and hiring our container from these people. The rest we will leave in the hands of the gods! Obviously we will have a lot more to do ourselves but the savings are well worth it!!!!
www.selfpackshipping.com:)
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Logans
Hi
I ve been quoted £4600 for a 45 foot high cube from Scotland to Virden (2.5 hours from Winnipeg). I know we have had to pay a premium for the high cube but it is theonly way we can fir our tractors in.
We are using Julie at James Cargo based in Manchester and she has been really helpful.
We have been quoted £4000 for a 20ft and approx £6000 for a 40 foot to 1 hr away from Winnipeg.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

jasper62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samjr400
We have been quoted £4000 for a 20ft and approx £6000 for a 40 foot to 1 hr away from Winnipeg.
thanks to all and supplied info, i am looking at doing the self pack system so should save a few more pounds . cheers to all
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

i used the company Vanguard Logistics to bring stuff from Winnipeg to Spain
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:21 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Some times if you self pack they wont insure!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

andy smart is an unknown quantity at this point

i got quoted £700 for 20 cubic feet.. door to door .. gloucester to edmonton.
thats with a company called "move corp"
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

its costing us about 3k to ship 16 cu m from Southampton to Saskatoon,all fully crated for LCL shipping (i.e shared container) and fully insured.This was packed by us but they're are going to make 2crates for it to go in so there is less risk of damage when it's stuffed into a 40ft container with other peoples stuff...I wouldn't want my Snap-on roll cab damaged!!!
This is with PSP but we also got competitive quotes from Worldwide shipping whose head office is in Stockbridge,Hampshire.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Some times if you self pack they wont insure!
I've found insurers, just waiting for quote. TBH I don't even mind so much if we're not insured against damages, it's more in case the container is damaged, broken into or sinks to the bottom of the Ocean!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:35 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I've found insurers, just waiting for quote. TBH I don't even mind so much if we're not insured against damages, it's more in case the container is damaged, broken into or sinks to the bottom of the Ocean!
Oh thats good that you found insurers I mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.