Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping a Computer

Shipping a Computer

Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping a Computer

So I've searched the forums a few times over and absorbed so much information that I'm confused. I'd love some clarification on this if anyone would be so great as to help!

I'm flying over to Vancouver at the start of September, where I'll be living with my boyfriend as a visitor until I activate my IEC visa after getting a job. I'm wondering what my options are for shipping an expensive gaming computer?

From the threads I've read on this forum, a lot of people recommend FedEx through Parcel2Go, but can you do that with something of this value (£1400-ish)? Would it be able to pass through customs easily? Would I have to send it addressed to myself and marked as personal items or would it be better to send it as a "gift" to my boyfriend? Will it definitely be a door to door service? Is there anything else that I need to do/know?

This whole issue is stressing me out, so thank you for anyone who can help!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a Computer

Whomever you ship through, if it's of value to you and losing GBP1400 would be a risk you are not willing to take, ensure you purchase insurance, through the courier, to cover. Otherwise their standard t&c's will leave you very much out of pocket if something happens in transit.

Door to door shouldn't be a problem. I'm not certain where you stand with regards to importing personal goods under IEC. If you can, it'd probably better to do that than send it to your boyfriend. Even labelled as a gift, he'll likely pay any duties & taxes upon import.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Why not pay an excess baggage or 2nd bag fee on the airline you are flying in with? That way at least you know where it is.

As you have an IEC visa, you just need to supply the CBSA with the serial number, make and model and you may need to sign a declaration that you will remove the item when you leave.

Sending it by a courier company is likely to incur import duty.

From http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

"... What you can bring with you

As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as “personal baggage”. Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers... "
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

If it's a laptop then just take it in your carry-on bag and don't mention it. If it's a desktop PC then (unless it's absolute top of the range) it might be quicker and cheaper to buy a reasonable one here and just bring the hard drive with you to put into the new one.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to be able to throw it in a suitcase, but it's a £1400 tower PC that I'm not sure I could find a suitcase to fit it in with adequate padding!

The thing is that if I bring it in, then I likely won't ever bring it back to the UK. I'm intending to settle in Canada with my boyfriend (either Common Law or Spousal when we qualify), so although I may be leaving the country at some point, I don't intend to not return!

Just to clarify, if I do ship it with FedEx, do I have to declare it at CBSA in the airport when I arrive?

Thanks for the advice so far folks.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
I would love to be able to throw it in a suitcase, but it's a £1400 tower PC that I'm not sure I could find a suitcase to fit it in with adequate padding!

The thing is that if I bring it in, then I likely won't ever bring it back to the UK. I'm intending to settle in Canada with my boyfriend (either Common Law or Spousal when we qualify), so although I may be leaving the country at some point, I don't intend to not return!

Just to clarify, if I do ship it with FedEx, do I have to declare it at CBSA in the airport when I arrive?

Thanks for the advice so far folks.
You don't need to put it in a suitcase, lol, though you can get them big enough. My son did the exact same thing when he flew over 2 years ago - but he took the HD, motherboard and memory sticks, cards etc., out and kept them in non-static bags in his hand luggage then used the original box with additional padding where necessary for the tower. He created a carrying handle for it and shipped it as excess baggage without any problem.

You are far less likely to incur charges than if you send it by courier.

Hopefully Former Lancastrian will be able to tell you if you need to disclose it or not.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Personally Id sell it and buy another when in Canada rather than all that faffing about and wondering will they damage it etc.
Yes you can bring it with you if you wish you just need to declare it.
If its being shipped separately on the declaration card there is a question I have unaccompanied goods then tick YES to that question.
As for clearing the goods when they arrive I would take a copy of the IEC letter to show them you will be working over here even if no work permit has been issued.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much for all the advice everyone! Considering that it's looking like I'll have to spend quite a bit towards shipping (especially if duty is included), and I'm a little too anxious about checking the whole thing on my flight, I'm now thinking that selling it (or parts of it) will be the best option! This is especially true when looking at the prices of similar parts in Canada and they're much cheaper than I originally bought them for!

Thanks again folks. I think I couldn't see the forest for the trees on this one.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

albion_exile is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
Thanks very much for all the advice everyone! Considering that it's looking like I'll have to spend quite a bit towards shipping (especially if duty is included), and I'm a little too anxious about checking the whole thing on my flight, I'm now thinking that selling it (or parts of it) will be the best option! This is especially true when looking at the prices of similar parts in Canada and they're much cheaper than I originally bought them for!

Thanks again folks. I think I couldn't see the forest for the trees on this one.
To get a good idea of pricing check out ncix.com.

(I've only ever used them mail order, never in person, but they are local to Vancouver). If for some reason you do ship your computer, remove the video card before shipping (that's what NCIX does when it ships a pre-built computer).

Good luck.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 7:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by albion_exile
To get a good idea of pricing check out ncix.com.

(I've only ever used them mail order, never in person, but they are local to Vancouver). If for some reason you do ship your computer, remove the video card before shipping (that's what NCIX does when it ships a pre-built computer).

Good luck.
In addition to NCIX you could also check out Memory Express. They also have a Vancouver location. Between the two and with price matching policies you could likely build a extremely capable replacement for your present machine.

Also you could look at Newegg Canada and Tiger Direct however I think both of these would be mail order if your living in Vancouver..

http://ncix.com/
http://www.memoryexpress.com/
http://www.newegg.ca/
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Why not pay an excess baggage or 2nd bag fee on the airline you are flying in with? That way at least you know where it is.

As you have an IEC visa, you just need to supply the CBSA with the serial number, make and model and you may need to sign a declaration that you will remove the item when you leave.

Sending it by a courier company is likely to incur import duty.

From http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

"... What you can bring with you

As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as “personal baggage”. Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers... "
Airline liability tends to be pretty low though, so in the event of damage, loss or theft or just disappearing never to be seen again, the passenger may never be able to recoup the cost of the loss.

Not sure what international liability is for airlines, but a good chunk of airlines will accept ZERO liability for electronics and its sent at your risk.

Before checking it as luggage with an airline double check with the airline your flying what their policy and liability is for electronics.

If they do accept limited liability for electronics, find out what the limit is, and if its lower then the value, ask if they sell excess insurance (some airlines will).

In general anything worth anything, should not be in checked baggage, its pretty risky, and airlines will depreciate everything in the even of a claim, my airline was 10% a year, and we required receipts for everything in the claim.

I personally think it would be worth the extra cost to have it sent via Fedex or UPS with sufficient insurance to cover the value.

Example from Air Canada:

"Air Canada assumes no liability for liquids, valuables or items whose loss may cause serious damage, such as money, jewellery, silverware, negotiable papers, securities, computers, cameras, cellular phones, business documents, samples, paintings, antiques, artifacts, manuscripts, prescription drugs, or irreplaceable books or publications."

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...liability.html

British Airways appears a little more generous: The air carrier is liable for destruction, loss or damage to baggage up to 1,131 SDRs (approximately £1,000 or EUR1,230). In the case of checked baggage, it is liable even if not at fault, unless the baggage was defective.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 10th 2013 at 12:35 am.