Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping companies

Shipping companies

Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future
Default Shipping companies

HI , any advice on who to ship with from the UK>
Good and bad experiences etc
We are clueless
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping companies

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
HI , any advice on who to ship with from the UK>
Good and bad experiences etc
We are clueless
We haven't moved yet, but have had a good quote from excess international movers, my inlaws used brittania willis of skipton, who were very good. They have come out more expensive for us, so we're gonna use excess international. Hope this helps a little, if there is anyone out there that has used excess international movers would appreciate any comments! (sorry for budging in on your thread!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

yellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant future

We haven't moved yet but had a few quotes, We are using GB Liners, they where one of a few that actually bothered to send someone around to size up!!! They also seemed professional. BUT like insurance companies until you have used them who knows if they are good or not!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all

Hello

We had quotes from about 5 companies and have gone with Robinsons. And today our container leaves Southampton and arrives in Canada about the 23rd Feb. Very strange being in a house with hardly any furniture. robinsons have been very professional from the quote to the packing to organising storage until it needed to be shipped.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:23 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
We haven't moved yet, but have had a good quote from excess international movers, my inlaws used brittania willis of skipton, who were very good. They have come out more expensive for us, so we're gonna use excess international. Hope this helps a little, if there is anyone out there that has used excess international movers would appreciate any comments! (sorry for budging in on your thread!
We used them when we moved in July 2006. The process prior to the move was good and the quote better than others. The only problem we had was when we arrived in Canada they sent us an email to say our stuff was ready to collect and to phone a certain number and quote a reference.

We phoned the number and was told our stuff had already been collected. This was obviously not the case and after doing some digging found we had been given someone else's ref number. We phoned Excess and they insisted it was the correct number and could do no more. It took many phone calls to the UK and Toronto airport, lots of stress and several days to finally track down our goods which we eventually collected from Toronto airport. The process of collection was fine and the items arrived okay bar one breakage which was forgivable.

It was probably just bad luck on our part, but the bit I found most annoying was that Excess really didn't care that our stuff was missing and would not admit they had given us the wrong number.

You can see how stressed I was via my blog entry at the time - it was kinda fun reading it back now.
http://www.canadajane.com/2006/07/st...d-more-stress/
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:07 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We have just had 4 companies round to quote and have gone with PSS.

We liked GB Liners but they and Robinsons quoted £1000 more than PSS and Foxes

If you do a search for shipping companies/quotes you will get lots of threads to help with your research.

Good luck, its a bit pot luck I think at the end of the day, so I am going on the basis of the best price bearing in mind they all quoted to provide the exact same service etc.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
We used them when we moved in July 2006. The process prior to the move was good and the quote better than others. The only problem we had was when we arrived in Canada they sent us an email to say our stuff was ready to collect and to phone a certain number and quote a reference.

We phoned the number and was told our stuff had already been collected. This was obviously not the case and after doing some digging found we had been given someone else's ref number. We phoned Excess and they insisted it was the correct number and could do no more. It took many phone calls to the UK and Toronto airport, lots of stress and several days to finally track down our goods which we eventually collected from Toronto airport. The process of collection was fine and the items arrived okay bar one breakage which was forgivable.

It was probably just bad luck on our part, but the bit I found most annoying was that Excess really didn't care that our stuff was missing and would not admit they had given us the wrong number.

You can see how stressed I was via my blog entry at the time - it was kinda fun reading it back now.
http://www.canadajane.com/2006/07/st...d-more-stress/
thankyou for the reply, they seemed very profess, but you never know! I'm hoping that it was bad luck what happenened to you, we'll find out in a few weeks!!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

shadowplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Seven Seas.com shipped my goods without any problems. Very reasonable and bases all oveR the UK. Quicker arrival than I expected!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

shadowplay is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ is the correct address. I don't think KD handle removals unless you carry a lot of cheese
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Does anyone know how much it would cost us to store our goods in a 20ft container, in the UK, per month. We are not planning to move to Calgary until September although if we do sell our property before this time, we would need storage with the shipping company we would be using
Thanks
Jane
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Simon and Susanne will become famous soon enoughSimon and Susanne will become famous soon enough

Hi Jane,
We have just been quoted £200 one off handling fee and £30 per week for storage in the UK for a 20ft container through PSS.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for that advice

Jane
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

dejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the rough

A bit of advice (learned the hard way) to anyone shipping - check and double check any and all information that the shipping company provides you. Nitpick any and all discrepancies or omissions. Get everything in writing. If I had to do it again, I'd request the original list of items used for creating their quote.

Our 'Schedule of Effects for Shipping' on our quote left off the entire kitchen. I didn't notice until way too late, (after we received our shipment - short by 1/5 - 260cu.ft) being distracted by other concerns and trusting that the removals company knew what they were doing (Doree Bonner/Jordan & Jarrett) and not reading everything carefully and questioning any discrepancies. They're now claiming that the kitchen was never included in the original quote because that's the way we wanted it. and that the remaining stuff their expert estimator also missed was added by us after the quote was written. Don't know how I'm going to prove that it wasn't (it wasn't!).

They want an additional £1,495 to ship us the remainder of our stuff - which didn't fit into the 20ft container they originally assured us it would fit into.

Regarding storage: If you pay for top of the line insurance coverage you might be able to get free storage for a few months on either end. We did.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

purdie is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Marsley Shipping of Leeds. £3000 door to door. They come out, look at wnat you are taking and give you a price. That in includes them doing all the packing and insurance. I thought that was a good price.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

£3000 door to door does sound like a great price, especially with insurance included. Do they cover all of the UK or just Leeds area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.