Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping baby formula to canada

Wikiposts

Shipping baby formula to canada

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:59 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping baby formula to canada

Originally Posted by biddyk8
Stupid question but have you tried asking your pediatrician for a recommendation that would suit?

We struggled to find one that suited after stopping breastfeeding and finally got one that suited on their recommendation. Its a PC own brand one that we probably never would have tried otherwise. Walmart own brand comfort ones are supposed to be very good for gassy babies.
Mine went straight to cows milk after breast feeding ... Although now even that seems frowned on
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

biddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Mine went straight to cows milk after breast feeding ... Although now even that seems frowned on
I stopped at 6 months or I would have done the same. I will try to last the year next time so i can skip formula full stop.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:21 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped at 6 months or I would have done the same. I will try to last the year next time so i can skip formula full stop.
That was at 8 months - (1995) daughter wouldn't touch any formula but would drink cows milk - midwives n health visitor were fine with it! But I was using cows for porridge etc at 6months

Did same with son in 1999 - health workers were apoplectic !

Hey ho - kids still fully functioning !
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I breastfed but our baby got the odd bottle. She loved the Hipp Organic in the UK but hated every single on we tried in Canada until a friend recommended Shoppers Drug Mart LIFE Brand low iron formula. It's also fairly inexpensive , the iron levels are still similar to the UK ones. She accepted that straight away.

Have you had a look at the British Superstore http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatal...and_goods.html if you can get your formula there
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

That was at 8 months - (1995) daughter wouldn't touch any formula but would drink cows milk - midwives n health visitor were fine with it! But I was using cows for porridge etc at 6months

Did same with son in 1999 - health workers were apoplectic !

Hey ho - kids still fully functioning !
That really made me chuckle. The advice seems to change on a weekly basis, but babies have been the same for generations. I put mine on solids from 3 months, advice at the time was 4-5 months (I think it is now over 6), given both kids were so hungry they practically ate the spoon I think it was the right decision. Despite the terrible parenting, they seem to have grown up ok.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

It was 6 months for a while but when I had my last daughter in October 2011 they told me it's down to 4 months again
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

biddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
It was 6 months for a while but when I had my last daughter in October 2011 they told me it's down to 4 months again
Back to 6 months here My daughters' 10 months. We waited the 6months but she wasnt interested at all before that.

Our doc says cows milk from 9months. She wont drink it at all so far though
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Back to 6 months here My daughters' 10 months. We waited the 6months but she wasnt interested at all before that.

Our doc says cows milk from 9months. She wont drink it at all so far though
haha I was told cows milk from 12 months. Our daughter wasn't interested in solids until she was 7 months. I almost had to force it on her. But she did like the cows milk immediately once she turned 1. Seems the rule is : solids between 4 and 6 months and cows milk between 9 and 12 months depending on where one lives And I guess all babies are happy and healthy!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
But she did like the cows milk immediately once she turned 1.
Dont think we will ever like cows milk here. I dont drink it myself, and i was violently ill any time I had dairy when I was pregnant with her. So I'm just happy she doesnt have a total intolerance
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dont think we will ever like cows milk here. I dont drink it myself, and i was violently ill any time I had dairy when I was pregnant with her. So I'm just happy she doesnt have a total intolerance
Our first daughter didn't like cows milk and the health visitor advised me to mix it with formula and just increase the cow milk ratio bit by bit to get her used to the different taste and less sweetness and it worked. The 2nd and 3rd daughter loved cows milk straight away. Kids eh?!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

elpato is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, today went through CBSA in Montreal. I had Hipp Bio formula with me, six cans, and the idiots said that the department of agriculture states that formula for babies over one year old is not allowed into Canada. This was confiscated. I was so mad at this utter nonsense. the guys also said that the 20KG per person allowance of baby formula is 20KG OR 20 CAN$. What utter dross is this??? Their attitude is completely unhelpful, they don't know what they are talking about and there is nothing you can do as they just do what they want and you have no recourse.
so be very wary as you may just come across an idiot and lose all of your consignment. if you have printed regulations bring them with you as they will not allow you to see what regulations they are quoting from and you need to be able to force them into complying with their own regulations. I have rarely been so angry, I hate bureaucratic idiocy.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:55 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by elpato
Hey all, today went through CBSA in Montreal. I had Hipp Bio formula with me, six cans, and the idiots said that the department of agriculture states that formula for babies over one year old is not allowed into Canada. This was confiscated. I was so mad at this utter nonsense. the guys also said that the 20KG per person allowance of baby formula is 20KG OR 20 CAN$. What utter dross is this??? Their attitude is completely unhelpful, they don't know what they are talking about and there is nothing you can do as they just do what they want and you have no recourse.
so be very wary as you may just come across an idiot and lose all of your consignment. if you have printed regulations bring them with you as they will not allow you to see what regulations they are quoting from and you need to be able to force them into complying with their own regulations. I have rarely been so angry, I hate bureaucratic idiocy.
1. From http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml

Infant formula

commercially packaged
milk based or non milk based, (dry/liquid) formula
for personal use only
sealed
up to a maximum of 20 kilograms per person
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elpato
They may have been confiscated because you didn't declare them (if you didn't), which is a requirement other than importing from the US.

http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml#a5

I've not heard of the restriction on formula for over 1 year olds. Very strange!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if it works for dogs and adults?
They do
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

elpato is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siouxie
They may have been confiscated because you didn't declare them (if you didn't), which is a requirement other than importing from the US.

http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml#a5

I've not heard of the restriction on formula for over 1 year olds. Very strange!
Thanks for reply. All declared, all packaged as per requirements. the quote you give me is what I had read when last time our whole family came back from europe and we had 30 kilos of Hippp Bio with us - the same stuff. We went through after the guy did a weight and sniff test.
So beware - CBSA border guards are incompetent and have no accountability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.