Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping: Attending Customs in Person?

Shipping: Attending Customs in Person?

Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice
Question Shipping: Attending Customs in Person?

I have just obtained a new quote for moving our furniture from the UK to Edmonton via Robinsons International, and one item in the terms and conditions says "You will be required to attend customs in person to facilitate customs clearance".

Surely we don't have to go to the port of entry for this, so does this mean the "Goods to Follow" procedure at the airport when we land in Edmonton, or maybe meeting with customs in the UK before we go? Cheers guys
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping: Attending Customs in Person?

I would expect you do need to be at the port to clear your goods.

We took this for granted, but then we are planning to relocate to Hamilton, about 45 minutes from Toronto so wouldn't be a big hassle for us.

You will have a huge hassle and cost for flights etc

I would expect that you need to be there in case they want to open your container for insepction or if you have any items that they feel need cleaned. Lawn-mowers, gardening equipment etc.

It would be too easy to smuggle goods in if no-one had to turn up to sign for stuff.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to prove me wrong
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by crazydaving
I have just obtained a new quote for moving our furniture from the UK to Edmonton via Robinsons International, and one item in the terms and conditions says "You will be required to attend customs in person to facilitate customs clearance".

Surely we don't have to go to the port of entry for this, so does this mean the "Goods to Follow" procedure at the airport when we land in Edmonton, or maybe meeting with customs in the UK before we go? Cheers guys
It means that once your goods arrive in the country they should go IN BOND to the customs office nearest to you and you will then be expected to go clear them (at least this is my understanding). My goods are in a container going to Vancouver but Edmonton is my nearest customs office so I will have to go there.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly didn't have to go and clear my stuff in person in 2010, the removal firm did it for me. Have the rules changed in the last two years maybe?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dgagitw
I certainly didn't have to go and clear my stuff in person in 2010, the removal firm did it for me. Have the rules changed in the last two years maybe?
I had to go in person to the Customs Office in Montreal to sign for our container 9 years ago.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't have to go to customs. Our container arrived in Eastern Canada and then overland to Calgary, the movers then brought our goods to our house in Sylvan Lake. it was all done by the removals company. This was in 2010.

We had Goods to follow lists when we came over on our TWP's. Don't think we ever were asked for them.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Most people attend their nearest Customs Office to clear their GTF be they arrive by container or other means.
A customs broker could clear the goods on your behalf or a person with a power of attorney.
They are your goods and you are responsible for them at the end of the day.
Im sure somebody will tell you which Edmonton office to clear them at.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

Just spoke to Robinsons and confirmed that the goods would arrive in Edmonton, and as long as there is a customs office in town (hopefully!), we can go there in person and not to the port. Obviously need to fill in the GTF list at the airport.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

londonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we were told by GB liners (this week) that we will need to go and sign. We are also moving to Hamilton and there is a customs office there so no need to go back to Toronto DaveandAilsa.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 4:45 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dgagitw
There are some a few shippers in certain post codes that can clear goods for you. Its from some Customs rule from long ago that has been allowed to carry on.

Originally Posted by londonlisa
Yes we were told by GB liners (this week) that we will need to go and sign. We are also moving to Hamilton and there is a customs office there so no need to go back to Toronto DaveandAilsa.
Your goods can travel under bond, for you to clear in Hamilton. Be advised that Hamilton charge you a warehouse fee for doing this, the fee is determinded by weight. If you dont want to pay the fee, you can always clear at the airport or down town Toronto, once the good have arrived at your recieving agent, and they have prepared the manifest for you.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:20 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

We also had to go and sign to accept the goods (at the Customs Office in Vancouver) before we could have them delivered to the house.

The shipping company advised us when to do this, so we just turned up when they said, signed and that was all.
It took about 10 minutes from walking in to walking out again.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonlisa
Awesome, thanks for that
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had to go to the Calgary customs to sign for our good 2 weeks ago. Very quick and easy procedure
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydaving
It means the local CBSA office which may or may not be the airport.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Commercial Services.
Service provided at Edmonton Int'l Airport Commercial Office at 101-3623 - 44th Avenue East, Edmonton International Airport from Monday to Friday (except holidays), 08:00 to 16:00.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.