Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping .... any do's and dont's

Shipping .... any do's and dont's

Old Feb 24th 2006, 5:20 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping .... any do's and dont's

On the electrical items

Most computers will work on 110v and 60hz so will work over here..
Older machines had switch able power supplies, new machines can handle power in the range 90-250vac at 50or 60hz.
Some computer monitors were not so flexible, again newer ones have the wider power range..
Always check the labels… if its say 100v and 60hz its work over here, and most now even carry multiple electrical approval logos too….
I’ve never run across a lap top that wouldn’t work over here as long as you got a plug adaptor, or new lead.
Most accessories with power supply units, you can buy a new power supply unit with the correct rating when you get here.. just bring the original along so that the voltage and amps match.

As to transformers up to 1000watts there not that bad about $70 for the bigger one, downside is they hum.. but smaller one that are for heating elements are cheaper and smaller… but always allow 50% overrating for surge…
http://www.a1parts.com/ goto transformers for costs

T.V. however are nearly always better left behind , mainly due to the NTSC pal issues, if it does both then bring it over and hook it up.. I did..
For what its worth a good PAL TV encoding to NTSC still out performs a NTSC only TV it can be done and I have, but unless your realy sure you know what your doing don’t bother with the hassle

Normally a 50hz motor will run on a 60hz circuit but run a little faster.. no good for record players but many other items its not an issue… some 240v motor will even run on 110v just lose power..
I’ve even run a Dyson rated 240v 50hz on 110v 60hz but with a noticeable drop in suction, but still usable.. and a good stand in until I could provide a 220v circuit for it..

Lamps.. well you can convert a bayonet fitting to a screw most times, but unless it’s a designer lamp stand that you really like its often to much effort.

Nearly all UK telephones will work over here, just change the lead. (a few BT phones adhere so rigidly to their own standard they’ll ‘work’ but not ring) you can buy adaptors in places like maplins but even they won’t make a Bt phone ring.

Again its all about reading the label your looking for 50/60hz and these items will work with a transformer.. if it say only 50hz I wouldn’t bother bringing it…

If it says something like 100 -250v 50/60hz bring it, it’ll work
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:18 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenwren
Morning all - we are in the process of sorting out our stuff for shipping. Just wondered if any of you have already gone through this had any thoughts on ....

What you wished you had taken?
What you wished you hadn't taken?

Or any other pearls of wisdom?

We are really pushed for space in a 20' container so have to make some choices ....... mainly between my things or his

J
we moved to calgary from Essex in Sept 04, I would advise bringing everything you own, it seems cheap to replace stuff whilst you are earning pounds but once you start earning dollars you will wish you hadn't left stuff behind!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:24 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Our stuff has just arrived after 3months. It was packed wrong labelled to the worng place originally, then they lost it, and we had an awful time. Now it is here we wish we had left 95% of it behind. Unless you have valuables, then dont bother. Things are not cheaper her but it is much nicer to have new things. The stuff we could not leave behind was CD's DVDs and computers etc. Odds and ends of personal things, but generally everything eles was looking tired and worn compared to new things we had bought.
We were lucky to already have a place here before moving so had already bought some new larger items. Couldnt wait for some furnniture to arrive from UK, Now it is here I cannot understand why!
Keep some of the smaller kitchen items, like can openers potato mashers peelers etc, it may seem daft but this is what you will spend your time searching for at wallmart on a daily basis if you dont bring it. Although until your stuff arrives you will buy much of it already as some things you just cannot wait for.

If you bring beds bring bedding otherwise leave it all beds here are bigger and better.
Grateful for garden items pots, shears spades etc, this stuff does cost to replace and it is tedious to keep buying everday.

Basically bring anything you feel you would miss, or use on a regualr basis. otherwise leave it all and use the $6000 to replace as soon as you get here. If you can do without it for 8-10 weeks wislt in shipping you can probably do without it forever!

We love it here, never see me returning . I am in my element here. Possessions just dont seem as important here as they were horded in UK!!
Good luck. Hoep you did not use our shipper they were uselsess from start to finish. Except nothing arrived broken, although I packed most of it!

Originally Posted by Jenwren
Morning all - we are in the process of sorting out our stuff for shipping. Just wondered if any of you have already gone through this had any thoughts on ....

What you wished you had taken?
What you wished you hadn't taken?

Or any other pearls of wisdom?

We are really pushed for space in a 20' container so have to make some choices ....... mainly between my things or his

J