Reload this Page >

Shanghai to Nova Scotia

Shanghai to Nova Scotia

Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:33 am
Just Joined

christylou73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shanghai to Nova Scotia

Hi,

My family and I are relocating from Shanghai to Nova Scotia in July, we are from Manchester in the uk, we have 2 sons who will be 10 and 8 years old (almost!) and my husband will work for Lloyds with his office in Dartmouth. My sons love football (soccer).

Any recommendations for where to live (we will rent at first) and any decent schools?

Thanks, in advance

Chris
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shanghai to Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by christylou73
Hi,

My family and I are relocating from Shanghai to Nova Scotia in July, we are from Manchester in the uk, we have 2 sons who will be 10 and 8 years old (almost!) and my husband will work for Lloyds with his office in Dartmouth. My sons love football (soccer).

Any recommendations for where to live (we will rent at first) and any decent schools?

Thanks, in advance

Chris
A lot will depend on how much money you're earning, but Fall River is a nice area. Good schools, beatiful scenery, and a lot of other Brits in the area.
Feel free to send me a PM- i'm from manchester also, and my kids are a similar age to yours. We dont live in NS anymore, but we used to.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Hi,

I've sent you a PM
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks, we have heard Fall River mentioned by a few people so we will definitely look into it. Someone also mentioned Cole Harbour?
Appreciate the comment!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks maplease, can't read your pm yet as I need to make more posts on the forum to enable that feature! Being a newbie sucks!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christylou73
Thanks maplease, can't read your pm yet as I need to make more posts on the forum to enable that feature! Being a newbie sucks!
Also sent you a PM. Now that you have 3 posts, you should be able to see them.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There are some nice areas, not too expensive in Dartmouth itself, and some good schools there as well. There's also some not so nice areas as well ............ like everywhere!

My daughter has lived in Dartmouth since 2004, and is very happy to stay there ............. her 5 year old will be starting all day kindergarten in September.

They operate with one car .............. they both work in Halifax, but daughter can walk to the ferry terminal (or take a bus that stops right outside her door), take the ferry, and then walk to her office

The advantage of Dartmouth is that you are within a ferry ride (or bridge crossing) of Halifax for work or play, and close to the IWK Children's Hospital and Halifax General.

You are also closer to the airport.

Cole Harbour has a very strange reputation ............. for a long time, it had 2 schools (2 middle and 1 senior) that had the dubious honour of being the worst in Canada

My son-i-l taught at the middle school around 2003/2004 .............. he said the first question on Monday morning was "well, who is in jail this time"

On the other hand, one of the NHL's best players, Sidney Crosby, is from Cole Harbour and not ashamed to admit it.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
There are some nice areas, not too expensive in Dartmouth itself, and some good schools there as well. There's also some not so nice areas as well ............ like everywhere!

My daughter has lived in Dartmouth since 2004, and is very happy to stay there ............. her 5 year old will be starting all day kindergarten in September.

They operate with one car .............. they both work in Halifax, but daughter can walk to the ferry terminal (or take a bus that stops right outside her door), take the ferry, and then walk to her office

The advantage of Dartmouth is that you are within a ferry ride (or bridge crossing) of Halifax for work or play, and close to the IWK Children's Hospital and Halifax General.

You are also closer to the airport.

Cole Harbour has a very strange reputation ............. for a long time, it had 2 schools (2 middle and 1 senior) that had the dubious honour of being the worst in Canada

My son-i-l taught at the middle school around 2003/2004 .............. he said the first question on Monday morning was "well, who is in jail this time"

On the other hand, one of the NHL's best players, Sidney Crosby, is from Cole Harbour and not ashamed to admit it.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, as my husband will work in Dartmouth we are thinking this might be a good place to start looking at for renting. As you said in your post there are good and bad places in any city/town. We would really like to hear your opinion of places to avoid and reasons why. We would really appreciate an insight!
Thanks
Chris
Old Apr 1st 2015, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Chris

I'll have to double check things with my daughter ............... I know that over the years she has said such and such an area is not too good.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I've emailed my daughter, now I just have to wait for her reply
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

He will enjoy working with Lloyds there - a couple of decent people (1 complete tosser though )

Lots of better places to stay than Dartmouth

Last edited by nldfc; Apr 1st 2015 at 12:24 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris

I have received information from my daughter re schools and locations.

I have pm'd you with the information ....... you can follow up with her