Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shall we, Shan't we?

Shall we, Shan't we?

Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall we, Shan't we?

Do your grandchildren have another set of grandparents who are local to them?
Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
you may wish to check of that again. From the CIC website processing times. I went to the Canada mission in London UK & it still gave me the following

Parents or grandparents

"Working on applications received in January 2014?
Visit Canada sooner with a Super Visa!
You're looking at Family Class sponsorship processing times (i.e. a PR app). The OP is correct that Supervisa processing times are currently at 69 days.

HTH.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Principled is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do your grandchildren have another set of grandparents who are local to them?
dbd33- I'm pleased to say that they do have another set of grandparents who are less that 30 mins away and who do a great job. Unfortunately, unlike us, both are working full time so their free time is very limited- especially during the week. That free time also has to be shared amongst their other grandchildren.
P
Old Aug 10th 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - I would stay put and opt to use the UK as your base. Go for 3-6 months on visa travel to Canada. I tried this route many years ago with my own parents who found they could only last 3 months at a time here in the US, luckily they kept their base etc in the UK. Talking, skyping imho occur far more frequently when there are miles between people.I have siblings who live less than 4 miles away from my parents but talk every few weeks, sometimes monthly.

Re your latest post. How much do your family in Canada really feel the same? They may say they want you there and you are willing to go but don't underestimate that privacy distance creates. Go on a long holiday/ or cruise and see how you feel once you and they have been out of each others lives for some time.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP I say stay in the UK and keep your base there and visit for extended periods. I believe ultimately it leads to less heartache and less expense going for 3- 6 months at a time. After all we all need our privacy and separate time no matter how much we think the opposite.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Principled
dbd33- I'm pleased to say that they do have another set of grandparents who are less that 30 mins away and who do a great job. Unfortunately, unlike us, both are working full time so their free time is very limited- especially during the week. That free time also has to be shared amongst their other grandchildren.
P
I ask because there are few people in this world to whom I would less enjoy more exposure than my grandchildren's other grandparents. It's a dynamic to be considered.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

dbd33- I'm pleased to say that they do have another set of grandparents who are less that 30 mins away and who do a great job.

Unfortunately, unlike us, both are working full time so their free time is very limited- especially during the week.

That free time also has to be shared amongst their other grandchildren.
That said, how do you see your involvement with your Daughter & her children - will it be Monday to Friday so you get a weekend off, less frequent or on as need be basis?i

Right now you're making a couple of visits a year, on the phone & skype regularly, so looking at this from another angle, suppose your daughter & her family lived in the UK in another town or city that was more than one-hour away, how often do you reckon you would be seeing each other?

Should it all go the way it will supervisa, are you planning to live within walking distance of your Daughters home, will you be minding the children, taking them to school & picking them up the way that grans in the UK do?
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Have your children asked you to move? Is it something that's even been discussed?

Have you looked at the cost of health insurance on a supervisa?

Are you aware that your UK state pension won't increase while you are resident in Canads?

Have you factored in exchange rate fluctuations on your uk income sources?

If you like your lives now then stay put. Carry on with the long visits, let your family know that if needed you can fly out and stay with them at short notice.

Based on my mums visits with us we've got to spend more time and with greater depth since we moved here than we would have had we stayed back in England and visited weekly.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 2:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

These last few posts have summed up a lot of the things I've thought of as well. Questions like, does the OP's daughter and her family actually want them to move closer? I know myself that I have carved out a life here away from my family and while I would love to see them more often I truly don't know how I would feel about my aging parents living so close. Would I feel an obligation to see them weekly? If so, what in my life do I give up so I can make time for that? Do my children really want to hang out with their grandparents more often? If yes now, how long before they don't want to? Kids grow up and make their own lives, so it's only a matter of time before the grandkids do the same.

My partner and I are awaiting our visa which will allow me to move "home" to Canada. However, while most of my family is in Southern Ontario, we are planning to go to eastern BC. I have been gone for 11 years and while it's great to see everyone on holidays I am no longer a part of their daily lives and they are no longer a part of mine.

OP, if you were my parents I would probably try to dissuade you from moving to Canada. You have your home, your friends, your daily activities, GP, church, whatever you do, right where you are. If you move to central western Canada what will you have besides your daughter and her family? That's a very large responsibility for her knowing that you gave up your lives to move to be nearer her. I would encourage you to visit me for as long as you wanted to but keep your home in the UK with all you're used to.

As for having someplace of your own while you're in Canada, have you looked at renting a place of your own for 3 months at a time? Maybe an AirBnB? I'm not sure where you daughter is, but I know where my family is there are lots of really nice trailer parks where you can rent a nice static caravan for the season so you would have your privacy and not feel like you're living in your daughter's home. It's also a place where the grandchildren can come and visit you.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a tough one.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
These last few posts have summed up a lot of the things I've thought of as well. Questions like, does the OP's daughter and her family actually want them to move closer? I know myself that I have carved out a life here away from my family and while I would love to see them more often I truly don't know how I would feel about my aging parents living so close. Would I feel an obligation to see them weekly? If so, what in my life do I give up so I can make time for that? Do my children really want to hang out with their grandparents more often? If yes now, how long before they don't want to? Kids grow up and make their own lives, so it's only a matter of time before the grandkids do the same.

My partner and I are awaiting our visa which will allow me to move "home" to Canada. However, while most of my family is in Southern Ontario, we are planning to go to eastern BC. I have been gone for 11 years and while it's great to see everyone on holidays I am no longer a part of their daily lives and they are no longer a part of mine.

OP, if you were my parents I would probably try to dissuade you from moving to Canada. You have your home, your friends, your daily activities, GP, church, whatever you do, right where you are. If you move to central western Canada what will you have besides your daughter and her family? That's a very large responsibility for her knowing that you gave up your lives to move to be nearer her. I would encourage you to visit me for as long as you wanted to but keep your home in the UK with all you're used to.

As for having someplace of your own while you're in Canada, have you looked at renting a place of your own for 3 months at a time? Maybe an AirBnB? I'm not sure where you daughter is, but I know where my family is there are lots of really nice trailer parks where you can rent a nice static caravan for the season so you would have your privacy and not feel like you're living in your daughter's home. It's also a place where the grandchildren can come and visit you.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a tough one.
Renting somewhere sounds like a really good idea. That way the OP can experience actual living in Canada as opposed to visiting.
Maybe that's the first thing to try out even before considering a permanent move any further?
Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Tirytory, you pose a couple of difficult questions.
I'm not sure we had a dream at retirement, it was more a freedom to go where (not necessarily great distances) and when (ie not just Sat or Sun or holidays) we wanted and do things when and how we wanted. In that respect we've been very lucky as we've been fit enough to be able to achieve those goals without any problems. We never really did the sort of crystal ball gazing and planning we did when we were young, it was more about the present.

But for us life has never been just about having experiences,it has always been about sharing those experiences with our family. Other couples of our age don't feel the same. Some think they've "done their bit for the family" and have emigrated to warmer climes to live THEIR lives, leaving behind their children and grandchildren. I'm sure that if had we been of that mindset, we would now be drinking a Bloody Mary on some golden beach and this thread would not exist. But we aren't, which is why it is difficult to "Leave the kids aside".

We stayed put as we felt we had a supportive role to play in our families' lives. Now they have emigrated we need a new plan, one we could never have foreseen and one which has major repercussions on our lives. Hence our need for others' viewpoints so that we know that on deciding which way to "jump" we have considered all the angles.
P
You mentioned upthread about the difficulty in staying with family for extended periods of time, which I completely understand. Whilst it would be expensive to have to rent a place (always supposing that you could find a short term let), have you considered house sitting?

There's several agencies / websites where you can peruse the requests for sitters (it may be also looking after pets etc.,) and the time period can be from a few days to months. There's usually no charge to the 'sitter' (although some of them require you to pay for electicity and gas) and this would give you the opportunity to discover what life would be like as a resident, rather than a tourist. You could even combine 2 or 3 house sits to enable you to stay for 2-3 months or so at a time. If you were prepared for a winter stay, there's a fair few 'snowbirds' who look for house sitters for up to 6 months (you'll find some on the last link)

Just a thought...

I'd suggest applying for the Super Visa to allow you both to visit at will (provided you have medical cover) and see how it goes from there.

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/ca/
https://www.mindmyhouse.com/sitters/overview
https://www.housecarers.com/how-homeowners.cfm

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 11th 2017 at 6:31 am.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 9:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You mentioned upthread about the difficulty in staying with family for extended periods of time, which I completely understand. Whilst it would be expensive to have to rent a place (always supposing that you could find a short term let), have you considered house sitting?

There's several agencies / websites where you can peruse the requests for sitters (it may be also looking after pets etc.,) and the time period can be from a few days to months. There's usually no charge to the 'sitter' (although some of them require you to pay for electicity and gas) and this would give you the opportunity to discover what life would be like as a resident, rather than a tourist. You could even combine 2 or 3 house sits to enable you to stay for 2-3 months or so at a time. If you were prepared for a winter stay, there's a fair few 'snowbirds' who look for house sitters for up to 6 months (you'll find some on the last link)

Just a thought...

I'd suggest applying for the Super Visa to allow you both to visit at will (provided you have medical cover) and see how it goes from there.

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/ca/
https://www.mindmyhouse.com/sitters/overview
https://www.housecarers.com/how-homeowners.cfm
House sitting is an excellent idea! I might look into that for next time we go to Canada, since we do like to go for a few weeks at a time.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for taking time to offer your sound advice. It is very much appreciated. The pertinent questions you posed and the answers others have given have provided a valuable independent viewpoint on my "dilemma". Others have raised points that I hadn't even considered.
I think I have hogged this forum for long enough, so I'll finish by summarizing what I think is the general consensus of the posters: Proceed with caution and take stock of the life/friends/enjoyment etc. that you would be leaving behind. Check out thoroughly FULL health care costs and not just the "emergency cover" minimum required by the EV. Get an SV so you have flexibility without permanent commitment. Rent (or "house sit" ) first and DON'T sell your UK base until you're absolutely certain you can "survive" life Canada in all seasons. If possible only sell our base when/if you get PR. Remember that our daughter's family has forged its own life and way of living and so be prepared that family contact may be no more than it is now and possibly less as, especially as grandkids grow.

One final question that was posed was whether or not our daughter actually wanted us there permanently. This is the one question I am confident I know the answer to. Following a visit at the end of last year we broached the subject of more permanent help (which we had done on and off over the years). Her response this time- in fairly detailed email - was affirmative, but "only if we wanted". One week later she sent us a video of a lovely house 100 metres from her that had just come on the market! Unfortunately, that was before any of us had investigated immigration and the hoops we would need to jump through to actually make it happen. As they say, ignorance is bliss. Kind regards P
Old Aug 11th 2017, 5:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, kindly post back if you managed to get the supervisa or if you are now taking another option?
Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Not2old- Yes will do. I expect to mull over the various points posters made and do some more research on health insurance/renting etc. over the next couple of months. Once I make the decision, I'll resurrect the thread and keep posters informed on what I've decided and any hiccups/things that may be of interest along the path I decide to take. Thanks for your interest. P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.