Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Settled Status

Settled Status

Old Feb 4th 2024, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Settled Status

Our current plan is we are going in Canada from the UK in April and will get “settled” status, we did a soft landing to activate my COPR last year.

We may now need to go over next week for family health reasons, I don’t want to become a settled resident until after the 6 April for tax reasons, so assuming we fly very soon could I go along to an immigration office whilst I am in Canada in mid April to get the settled status?
Old Feb 4th 2024, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settled Status

If I recall correctly you did a soft landing and got your PR card. To get the goods to follow list entry and free of any taxes you would simply produce the list stamped to CBSA on arrival at the Port of Entry and indicate to them you are now taking up residency and ask them to fill out the B4 form. Once that is stamped then when the goods arrive you produce your B4 and stamped goods to follow list to your nearest CBSA office for release.

If you arrive next week and stay permanently then you cannot wait until mid April as you are no longer seeking entry.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settled Status

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If I recall correctly you did a soft landing and got your PR card. To get the goods to follow list entry and free of any taxes you would simply produce the list stamped to CBSA on arrival at the Port of Entry and indicate to them you are now taking up residency and ask them to fill out the B4 form. Once that is stamped then when the goods arrive you produce your B4 and stamped goods to follow list to your nearest CBSA office for release.

If you arrive next week and stay permanently then you cannot wait until mid April as you are no longer seeking entry.
I thought that might be the case, not to worry, many thanks for the help.