Reload this Page >

Seriously Thinking of Canada

Seriously Thinking of Canada

Old Feb 15th 2013, 6:54 am
Just Joined

kevj1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seriously Thinking of Canada

Hi all.
I have been becoming increasingly motivated to move to Canada.
I have read various websites about the visas and job lists, however I am looking for some advice from those of you who have taken the plunge (so to speak).
What are the nicest areas to live and bring up children (I have 4)
What are the first steps I should take to move forward with my dream?
What are the best methods for lookng for work?
Can anyone suggest reputable employers for a Project Engineer/Manager?

I know some of the answers will be subjective to those replying but I am looking to garner as much info as possible from as many sources as possible so all your advice is greatly recieved.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seriously Thinking of Canada

Well Canada is such a huge place and you really need to narrow down to where you want to live. Have you even been to Canada? What sort of life do you want from living in Canada?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:47 am
Just Joined

kevj1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Well Canada is such a huge place and you really need to narrow down to where you want to live. Have you even been to Canada? What sort of life do you want from living in Canada?
I was thinking of the eastern side, close to the US border, maybe the Toronto/Quebec/Ottawa areas.
I would ideally like a good education for my kids, close to a variety of attractions/activities.
Hope this helps
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Spend a LOT of time reading the Wiki above. It's a good read and very informative. Then use the search tool for key words and see how many other posts are already there which will have relevant and useful info for you.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Kev, welcome to the forum.

You are at the start of a very long road

We have been going through this for two years, and will be getting on a plane to Toronto in three weeks to start our new lifes.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but the one thing that is always a major factor, is EMPLOYMENT. They say money is the route of all evil, but I say to hell with that, it's the route of all happiness, lol.

So I'm saying, that should be your first line of research. Which field, average earnings, training required etc.

If you're determined, then you'll find a way. There's plenty of folk on here who have made the move through all sorts of routes, and they will be happy to help once you've narrowed down your options.

Happy Friday!

Dave.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa

We have been going through this for two years, and will be getting on a plane to Toronto in three weeks to start our new lifes.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but the one thing that is always a major factor, is EMPLOYMENT. They say money is the route of all evil, but I say to hell with that, it's the route of all happiness, lol.

So I'm saying, that should be your first line of research. Which field, average earnings, training required etc.

If you're determined, then you'll find a way. There's plenty of folk on here who have made the move through all sorts of routes, and they will be happy to help once you've narrowed down your options.

Happy Friday!

Dave.
Good post, the part I highlighted is especially true.....
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:41 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I hope you are reading the wiki (with tea and cake of course)
What line of work are you in?
You will find some tongue in cheek replies, some sarcasm but also some help here
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa

Happy Friday!

Dave.

ROOT of all evil, not route.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:37 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Novocation is still around you know, you could have waited.

Good luck OP, like its has been said, read the wiki, and then read again.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:38 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

A few home truths
Education isn’t better here, to some it’s broader more encompassing, to others its lacks academic focus
The place lack’s sophistication, style and many things you take for granted in Europe, it’s like a step back in time, some people like this
Even though it’s a massive country the vast majority live in cities with higher density than there UK counterparts
On average when it’s all added up I’d suggest cost of living may be slighter higher here, but the odds are you will get a bigger house.
Currently Canada is in a better place economically than Europe.. But if the US screws up we will go down too..
Personal y I don’t think that in the current climate there is enough to justify moving country because you don’t like the one you’re in, that is unless you are moving to a guaranteed Job that pays more (£ to $) and you need to factor in job security, working standards and employment benefits are normally lower here than Europe
PS the winters are long and seriously cold, so unless you’re a mad skiing fan and really already love the outdoors, think long and think hard
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:43 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
A few home truths
Education isn’t better here, to some it’s broader more encompassing, to others its lacks academic focus
The place lack’s sophistication, style and many things you take for granted in Europe, it’s like a step back in time, some people like this
Even though it’s a massive country the vast majority live in cities with higher density than there UK counterparts
On average when it’s all added up I’d suggest cost of living may be slighter higher here, but the odds are you will get a bigger house.
Currently Canada is in a better place economically than Europe.. But if the US screws up we will go down too..
Personal y I don’t think that in the current climate there is enough to justify moving country because you don’t like the one you’re in, that is unless you are moving to a guaranteed Job that pays more (£ to $) and you need to factor in job security, working standards and employment benefits are normally lower here than Europe
PS the winters are long and seriously cold, so unless you’re a mad skiing fan and really already love the outdoors, think long and think hard
+1
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Money is not the root of all evil, it's the LOVE of money that's the root of all evil.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevj1977
Hi all.
I have been becoming increasingly motivated to move to Canada.
I have read various websites about the visas and job lists, however I am looking for some advice from those of you who have taken the plunge (so to speak).
What are the nicest areas to live and bring up children (I have 4)
What are the first steps I should take to move forward with my dream?
What are the best methods for lookng for work?
Can anyone suggest reputable employers for a Project Engineer/Manager?

I know some of the answers will be subjective to those replying but I am looking to garner as much info as possible from as many sources as possible so all your advice is greatly recieved.
Just an observation but why would you remove them from their culture, family and friends and disrupt them from their education to satisfy a dream?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Just an observation but why would you remove them from their culture, family and friends and disrupt them from their education to satisfy a dream?
Why not, stuff the kids and get moving.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
A few home truths
Did you receive your education in Europe and, if so, did it give you academic focus and "sophistication"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.