Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sending xmas pressies back home??

Wikiposts

Sending xmas pressies back home??

Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending xmas pressies back home??

Originally Posted by joelsa
If you buy from, say, Amazon.co.uk and you pay with, I take it, a canadian credit card. Don't they sting you for the exchange rate when you pay your credit card bill this end? I always thought you didn't get a very good rate of exchange. Am i wrong?
Jo xx
Its not that bad to be honest,maybe 2% tops, but I guess it depends on your particular card. In any case its certainly cheaper than postage from Canada, and you can leave it much later to organise

You have to watch out that they will ship to somewhere other than the card billing address though...I forget the catch and the way around it on your first order though... better check that out in advance...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:47 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

How many people have been stung by the Tax for importing Clothing?

Got 95% off a Brand name jumper ( button fell off ) with Staff discount and bay for using card paid $3 - Sewed Button back on sent with receipt + birthday cards and photos paid £18 import tax & fees. Now we send everything from online or pictures of item for someone to buy for us.

( shipped via fedex with a 75% staff discount - damm jumper almost cost full price)
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We bought my stepson a model train thingy the year before last, the post was twice as much and the train - but still cheaper then the IPOD he wanted.

We will only buy token gifts now for family - obviousley step son will still get something decent. I will also make sure they are posted soon - crimbo shopping here we come
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We bought my stepson a model train thingy the year before last, the post was twice as much and the train - but still cheaper then the IPOD he wanted.

We will only buy token gifts now for family - obviousley step son will still get something decent. I will also make sure they are posted soon - crimbo shopping here we come

That's the kind of thing that makes sense to do online and have delivered (often for free) from the UK.

Obviously for uniquely Canadian or very personally selected things you have to buy here and ship in good time, but for toys and stuff off a wish list, its better to do it online I think.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:30 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
That's the kind of thing that makes sense to do online and have delivered (often for free) from the UK.

Obviously for uniquely Canadian or very personally selected things you have to buy here and ship in good time, but for toys and stuff off a wish list, its better to do it online I think.

Yeah but when hubby doesn't get the 'He want's.....' info in good time you are left running around the shops looking for something - anything - that'll do, lets get that and not worry about the post......situation happens - 3rd time lucky this year? Will we get it right??????
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yeah but when hubby doesn't get the 'He want's.....' info in good time you are left running around the shops looking for something - anything - that'll do, lets get that and not worry about the post......situation happens - 3rd time lucky this year? Will we get it right??????
Thats the other advantage of online...you can leave it a week to ten days later, and if worst comes to the worst do all the hopeless guessing in the comfort of your office over lunch rather than rushing around the stores in cold and patchy December weather

Last edited by iaink; Sep 19th 2007 at 8:01 am.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ideas listed! We also got stung by sending presents through the mail, so now keep to sending smaller items in padded envelopes. Last year we sent jewelery to our nieces, but also started an ornament collection for them. Each Christmas we will send them another.... we should have their tree totally stocked by the time they move out on their own!!

Oggy
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:03 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgary Colemans
Hello,

Slightly early I know...but it's snowing here so I'm getting all festive!!

How do you all send pressies home to the UK? I mean, what is the cheapest/best way to get a box full of pressies over there...or is it safer to do it in batches(smaller packaages)??

I was hoping to send everyone a gift...along with a few canadian bits and bobs for the family to try....maple biscuits etc

Nicky
Talking of mailing presents, has anybody ever lost a package posted overseas by airmail through Canada Post? They have just lost a package for me! Goods = $65. Postage = $57 airmail. Left 8 Sept. 2007, never arrived in Middle East according to their tracking system.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by annabella
Talking of mailing presents, has anybody ever lost a package posted overseas by airmail through Canada Post? They have just lost a package for me! Goods = $65. Postage = $57 airmail. Left 8 Sept. 2007, never arrived in Middle East according to their tracking system.

Give it time - might get there yet!

I sent my mum a pair of leather gloves airmail at the end of January (to UK) - just a thinking of you type of thing - she got them in MAY!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Thats what? 10 days and includes 2 weekends. Its still in transit I bet.

You've not done this before have you The Canada Post tracking system
is a bit of a joke, it will tell you its in the system, that about all. I sent a sax to the US recently, when the recipient emailed me to say it had arrived, as far as CP were concerned it was still in Missisagua.

Another sax seller waited nearly 3 months for a (very expensive) sax to arrive in Indonesia care of Canada Post Surface mail.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing someone mentioned on here last year - which I thought was a good idea - if you plan on sending out loads of Xmas cards - is to write up and pack all your chirstmas cards into one bundle and post them to a kindly friend or relative - and get them to post out all the cards for you from the UK.

At $1.55 per envelope, I am sure you could save alot of pennies/cents by just covering the cost of a 20p stamp (or whatever it is now) with said kindly friend. I guess this would only work if you were likely to send out say 30 or 50 cards - but if you are a 5-card bah-humbug, don't worry !!

And yes, I know you can send an e-mail - but it's just not the same. More environmentally friendly, yes, but not so personal (methinks).
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Thats what? 10 days and includes 2 weekends. Its still in transit I bet.

You've not done this before have you The Canada Post tracking system
is a bit of a joke, it will tell you its in the system, that about all. I sent a sax to the US recently, when the recipient emailed me to say it had arrived, as far as CP were concerned it was still in Missisagua.

Another sax seller waited nearly 3 months for a (very expensive) sax to arrive in Indonesia care of Canada Post Surface mail.
I meant 8 August, not September. I am still sampling all those recommended wines from S Africa, NS, etc. Well, that's my excuse.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I meant 8 August, not September. I am still sampling all those recommended wines from S Africa, NS, etc. Well, that's my excuse.
Lucky you

It could still conceivably be on its way if you didnt send it express, but even FedEx and (especially) Purolater have been known to lose things...Just bad luck I guess.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Lucky you

It could still conceivably be on its way if you didnt send it express, but even FedEx and (especially) Purolater have been known to lose things...Just bad luck I guess.
It could still be on its way I know, but the person to whom it is addressed has now left that country so if it does arrive it will have to be returned here.I see in the small print that that will be at my cost. Can't win.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I see in the small print that that will be at my cost. Can't win.
Aye. Have some more wine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.