Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sending xmas pressies back home??

Wikiposts

Sending xmas pressies back home??

Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice
Question Sending xmas pressies back home??

Hello,

Slightly early I know...but it's snowing here so I'm getting all festive!!

How do you all send pressies home to the UK? I mean, what is the cheapest/best way to get a box full of pressies over there...or is it safer to do it in batches(smaller packaages)??

I was hoping to send everyone a gift...along with a few canadian bits and bobs for the family to try....maple biscuits etc

Nicky
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:58 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending xmas pressies back home??

We tend to send one package to my parents for distribution to the rest of the family. Either than or buy stuff online in the UK which is easier!

Last posting date for SURFACE mail to UK is October 26th.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:02 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgary Colemans
Hello,

How do you all send pressies home to the UK? I mean, what is the cheapest/best way to get a box full of pressies over there...or is it safer to do it in batches(smaller packaages)??

I was hoping to send everyone a gift...along with a few canadian bits and bobs for the family to try....maple biscuits etc

Nicky

www.amazon.co.uk! click... click.... done!

Canadians don't eat those maple cookies... you know that, right?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:02 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy stuff on Amazon.co.uk, etc, and you'll save a fortune on delivery costs. And if you can get them to build a wist list, you don't have to worry about getting them a mountain of useless crap they don't want.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Nicky
We sent stuff last year and it cost a fortune. Wrap everything as small as possible as it goes on dimensions as well as size

After everyone on both sides of the pond has wasted £££$$$ on postage we now either order on line in the UK or ask them to send money or books, dvds via amazon.

As long as we get a card we are happy, presents arent important really. We only spend $10 on each other anyway in an attempt to get away from the spending. --- Plus we dont have much money!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:06 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Nicky
I stick to small, light packages in Jiffy Bags and send them surface...it'll save you a fortune. It means having it all organised by the end of Oct, but heh, us girls are good at that.

The first Xmas I got stung by sending boxes airmail.....never again.!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:09 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Nicky
The personal canadian touch is nice in the early years. We used to buy here and ship by Canada Post. Check weights first! I made the mistake of slipping a Xmas card in with the parcel, went 5g over 1kg (or 500g or whatever the threshold is) and paid a heavy price to save a buck on a stamp

Now the novelty has worn off we simply order gifts online at amazon UK and have them wrap and deliver them from a local source....its a lot more cost effective.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:10 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

We buy everything from Debenhams, John Lewis, Argos, Amazon, CD-wow online.

No way am I paying the postage. <Scots thriftiness gene takes over>
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Hello,

Nicky

Try www.hampers.com
Really good selection of wine/hampers etc- even includes a "greetings from Canada Christmas cake". The delivery and customer service has been excellent. They are UK based and deliver worldwide.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:37 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Airmail rates for parcels are horrendous. The first year I was here I waited until the beginning of December to buy my son a pressy. It was a box of Lego. A largeish box but not heavy. Lego $90. Airmail = $170.

These days I bung his mother some cash and she lies about who bought the present.

<I do spoil him rotten when I'm there, though>
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who have family that like M&S stuff, you can order online with them from here as well! They do Hampers, too!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

If you buy from, say, Amazon.co.uk and you pay with, I take it, a canadian credit card. Don't they sting you for the exchange rate when you pay your credit card bill this end? I always thought you didn't get a very good rate of exchange. Am i wrong?
Jo xx
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:59 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
If you buy from, say, Amazon.co.uk and you pay with, I take it, a canadian credit card. Don't they sting you for the exchange rate when you pay your credit card bill this end? I always thought you didn't get a very good rate of exchange. Am i wrong?
Jo xx
We retained our UK credit cards and pay with them.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

We did this for the first and last time last year. It cost far more in postage and packing than it did for the items, which was ridiculous so we'll be doing something else this year. Probably buying online with Uk debit/credit card.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:02 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
Jo xx
I generally find credit card exchange rates pretty reasonable and in any event they are 'a price of doing business'. Believe me, the savings over Canada post will outweigh the few points in exchange rate you might get dinged!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.