Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

sending personal belongings by mail to canada - duties

sending personal belongings by mail to canada - duties

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:36 am
Just Joined

6612 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sending personal belongings by mail to canada - duties

I am going to send some of my clothes, shoes and other personal items by mail from overseas to Canada, declared as "used clothes/shoes etc"...I wonder if I have to pay any duties when the stuff arrives in Canada. Does anyone have any experience with that? thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:47 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sending personal belongings by mail to canada - duties

Originally Posted by 6612
I am going to send some of my clothes, shoes and other personal items by mail from overseas to Canada, declared as "used clothes/shoes etc"...I wonder if I have to pay any duties when the stuff arrives in Canada. Does anyone have any experience with that? thanks
If they do tax you, you should know that they shouldnt have and that anything you pay is refundable if its personal effects of an immigrant. However you must provide proof that the goods were previously accounted for with the CBSA, such as a copy of Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, and Form B4A, List of Goods Imported.

The canadian border services website has lots of info on whats taxable, what has duty owing etc. Knock yourself out Its great for insomniacs

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co...ettlers-e.html

Failing that you could always wrap it up as a gift and call the value less than $60CDN, but I guess it depends how lucky you feel about the vigilance of the customs guys.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 22nd 2005 at 1:54 am.