Reload this Page >

Selling up before you leave?

Selling up before you leave?

Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Enzyme is on a distinguished road
Default Selling up before you leave?

Hi

What are peoples thoughts on your personal items (home and garden stuff), sell up in UK and buy all you need (new or used) out there.

or take all you can? (Shipping costs etc.

Obvious things we would leave are

Cars, electrical devices (unless can run on 110V 60hz)

Obvious things to keep,

"Priceless" personal items, pets, OH (LOL)
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:34 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling up before you leave?

We had a shipping quote recently of £4120 + insurance for a 20ft container - for us it isn't worth it, but really depends what the quality of the stuff you have at the moment. We have mainly ikea stuff, so we can replace it cheaper from ikea over there....
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Take everything. Especially take all the broing things so you don't have to spend time and a surprising amount of money amassing a new set of laundry baskets, crab claw crushers, ironing boards and dog baskets.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:57 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Take everything. Especially take all the broing things so you don't have to spend time and a surprising amount of money amassing a new set of laundry baskets, crab claw crushers, ironing boards and dog baskets.

ha ha ha
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:58 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have crabs often?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Question Re: Selling up before you leave?

Hi, hope someone can help me with this question.

I may not want to take furniture but was wondering about things like toys, DVD's, CD's, games, children's school work that they bring home etc. Basically stuff that holds memories like photos and personal things. I've got boxes of pictures the children have given me over the years! Will I need to send these via container? Do the shipping companies do a special offer if you only use a little part of the container? If I do need a container I suppose I may as well fill it!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Do you have crabs often?
Not as often as lobsters.

My point though is that all those things one rarely things about, the fondue set, the garden trowel, the lunge line, cumulatively are valuable and a bother to replace.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracys
Hi, hope someone can help me with this question.

I may not want to take furniture but was wondering about things like toys, DVD's, CD's, games, children's school work that they bring home etc. Basically stuff that holds memories like photos and personal things. I've got boxes of pictures the children have given me over the years! Will I need to send these via container? Do the shipping companies do a special offer if you only use a little part of the container? If I do need a container I suppose I may as well fill it!
Tell the kids you're bringing them, throw them in the trash when the kids are not looking and then blame the movers for losing them. It's worked twice for us.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Selling up before you leave?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Tell the kids you're bringing them, throw them in the trash when the kids are not looking and then blame the movers for losing them. It's worked twice for us.

Why twice? Surely doing this once is enough for anyone!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:27 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracys

Why twice? Surely doing this once is enough for anyone!
A lot of accumulated crap got "lost" when we moved fro the UK to Canada. More crap got "lost" when we moved from Oakville to Gatineau.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:35 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

You can send boxes of things over with various companies - you don't need to have a container. This is what we did but I really really wish now that I bought all my UK furniture etc - so far it has cost us a forturne to replace everything and we haven't got stuff we really like - just stuff we could afford! Sofas are especially expensive and lots of them are flippin hideous!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped approx 42 boxes 4 cubic meters for just over £1300 and dh mentioned the other day he wished he bought a few more things I was more than happy with what we packed. Furniture wise would say depends on what you have, ours was ready for replaces so decided to do it once in Canada
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Selling up before you leave?

Thanks for your replies, at least I now know I don't have to go container route unless shipping furniture. Depends how long we have to wait as to whether our sofas will be past it or not

Probably have quite a few boxes as am quite sentimental about the kids stuff, not sure I could lose them on route and look them in the eye. Never was very good at fibbing, always got caught out as a child so I gave it up
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

We sold 3 houses full of stuff and bought new everything for 2 houses here. Properties are so different here and styles, sizes can look strange in a different place, but then I was an Interior Designer and shopping around for deals on everything was a career. I have been in a number of houses where people have filled them with all the things from the UK and are finding it difficult to get things to look right. An example would be a painting of the Lakes hanging beside a window with a gorgeous but very different view. I would prefer pictures of the local scenary myself. I sold many oil and watercolor painting that I adore, but have enjoyed buying local works here. It is personal choice but I work on the principal of making room for new things to come into your life. Winston Churchill said " We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us."

The extra cost was worth it and I am sure we did not end up spending that much more than paying for shipping everything out here. An example would be an Ikea sofa being 50% cheaper than in the UK.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
An example would be an Ikea sofa being 50% cheaper than in the UK.
Could you link to that sofa, wow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.