Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Selling the house in th UK

Selling the house in th UK

Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:36 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling the house in th UK

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought UK house prices have been falling since 2008.

It may not be worth GBP200,000 now. The other thing that people forget when comparing sales on the same house over time, that part of the increase in price may reflect improvements to the property so it's isn't necessarily all profit.
The good thing about the UK is that you can just look on the web and see what the owner paid. You can then ask them what they've done to deserve the increase.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
We've had one viewing in 3 weeks and I wonder how the market is in other areas.

We need to sell to realise the capital for a house in Canada so can't afford to rent it out.

We are in Tolworth, (nr Surbiton-but-not!) Surrey.

Where are you selling your house? - What county?

How have your viewings been? - How many?

Have you dropped your price?

How long before you sold?

How long before you dropped your asking price?

......And any other info you'd like to share about selling
Hi,

We put our house onn the market in Hertfordshire at the end of January,
its a 4 bed semi detatched. We dropped 15,000 and then had a few people around and ones who came last night rang the estate agents this morn and put an offer on the property for the full asking price.
However, we did specify to the estate agents when we dropped that 15.000 we wouldnt drop any more and there would be no more dropping if someone came along with a offer 5,000 shorter of the asking price which they tried this morning and i told the estate agents that we told them what our conditions were and they agreed to pay the full market price . so now they have just got to sell their place which has just gone on market but its a 2 bed flat in london so hopefully a first time buyer will go for that. so looking good. had someone else view monday evening so i say things are picking up
for the property market.
My tip is to always make sure house is spotless and paintwork washed down out the front, plenty of flowers outside in pots and borders always brightens it up. good luck
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just sold ours, due to exchange next week - was on the market for 10 days, 6 viewings (plus 2 second viewings), and sold for £10k below asking price.

Good luck to everybody selling.
Wow, that WAS quick!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindabey
Hi,

We put our house onn the market in Hertfordshire at the end of January,
its a 4 bed semi detatched. We dropped 15,000 and then had a few people around and ones who came last night rang the estate agents this morn and put an offer on the property for the full asking price.
However, we did specify to the estate agents when we dropped that 15.000 we wouldnt drop any more and there would be no more dropping if someone came along with a offer 5,000 shorter of the asking price which they tried this morning and i told the estate agents that we told them what our conditions were and they agreed to pay the full market price . so now they have just got to sell their place which has just gone on market but its a 2 bed flat in london so hopefully a first time buyer will go for that. so looking good. had someone else view monday evening so i say things are picking up
for the property market.
My tip is to always make sure house is spotless and paintwork washed down out the front, plenty of flowers outside in pots and borders always brightens it up. good luck
That's great that you have a buyer.....just hope the rest of the chain does too. Good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

We put ours (Anglesey, North Wales) on the market last august after building a really lovely extension.
we had a viewing after about 10 days but they had a property to sell "downsizing considerably".

after that not a sausage.......

At end Jan I went to estate agent and discussed what went wrong, we decided to redo the pics and overhaul the listing completely.
We had priced the property at the top end of the recommended but stuck to our guns.

2 weeks later new listing went online and the next day received a call for a viewing.
they offered much less than our asking price which we declined, then they offered something much more acceptable.
We only had to drop £4k off our asking price. I was happy to include our white goods in with the deal.
they are first time buyers.
still waiting for a completion date whilst their solicitor goes to lunch.......

properties round here are selling like hot cakes now after a very stagnant 2010

[ZZZZzzzzzz]
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Hi Robin,
put our house on end of sept, Oct somebody wanted it but was then was refused a mortgage, took it off the market for Dec (we all had flu) On the first day back to work in jan had 3 viewings 2 offers one sold one on the market, actually got just below asking price, couldn't believe it. completion date the
11 March signed contracts. Two weeks ago there buyer pulled out now back on market. We have two people wanting to buy but cannot sell there house. We haven't dropped the price and I would say we are slightly higher than we should be but its an unusual house a little quirky. We do have a great location with fantastic rural views. I have put a link in if any wants to be nosey. We are in devon.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31014203.html

Just a note one thing I always do when selling is buy fresh flowers not sure if it makes a difference but I think it looks nice.
Also I am very superstitious I always have red at my door to bring in good luck (plants)
I always have a really clear house sign so that good luck can find me.
Probably dosent work but I do them anyway as I feel it can't harm.
Good luck to you all.
Just a quick up date 2 weeks back on the market 5 viewings and we have now resold one in the chain below.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a quick up date 2 weeks back on the market 5 viewings and we have now resold one in the chain below.
Just about finished repainting the outside now......
Attached Thumbnails Selling the house in th UK-p1070587.jpg   Selling the house in th UK-p1070631.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:59 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I loved the yellow, but I suspect prospective buyers may prefer the new colour, well done you!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Clematis
Personally I loved the yellow, but I suspect prospective buyers may prefer the new colour, well done you!
Let's hope so.
It surprises me just how many people have passed by saying that they are disappointed that we are changing the colour. The yellow house had an identity that I wasn't even aware of!
My arms and back ache after two long days painting but yay, I'm going to get away with only doing one coat.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Let's hope so.
It surprises me just how many people have passed by saying that they are disappointed that we are changing the colour. The yellow house had an identity that I wasn't even aware of!
My arms and back ache after two long days painting but yay, I'm going to get away with only doing one coat.
Well done looks great, honestly its amazing how many people can't see past a coat of paint.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Let's hope so.
Don't forget to get the agent to take some new pictures of the outside.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't forget to get the agent to take some new pictures of the outside.
Have done thanks....but silly-billies only replaced the photo of the front and none of the others. will call them again tomorrow.
Old May 13th 2011, 3:08 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all, thought I'd resurrect this thread to let you know our house went on the market last Thursday and we have already had 3 viewings since then. Got feedback on two today, one saying they thought the bedrooms were a little small and another couldn't get enough money through financing and asked if we would consider an offer £20,000 less than our minimum asking price Still waiting on the third viewer to get back to us. She loved the house and spent a long time looking around herself. We had a long chat about each others commitments and she told me she was definitely interested. Not so sure now though

Robin - I hope things are going well with you!
Old May 13th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

We are now on week 13 since accepting an offer to buy our house. lack of communication from buyers is making me cross, and their solicitor is very slow.
its gone on so long that it wouldn't pay to put it back on the market now.

Grrrrrr......
Old May 13th 2011, 4:20 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by heading-west
We are now on week 13 since accepting an offer to buy our house. lack of communication from buyers is making me cross, and their solicitor is very slow.
its gone on so long that it wouldn't pay to put it back on the market now.

Grrrrrr......
Gosh I hope you can close the deal soon. It really is true when they say it's a buyers market at the moment. They seem to take their time because they know they can. I'm not sure I like playing this game much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.