Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Selling the house in th UK

Selling the house in th UK

Old May 13th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all
Default Re: Selling the house in th UK

We've had a lot of viewings, but they all come back with the same response...the state of the house that ours looks at puts them off (it desperately needs painting) - wtf are we meant to do about that!??!!

Having said that, we have recently reviewed our marketing strategy (OIEO, instead of a fixed price) and now have our first repeat viewing booked for Monday...
Old May 13th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

We are still on the market, it has been 12 months now. We dropped this week. Although we have had viewing in this period of time it seems that other people have houses to sell and first time buyers can't afford or get a mortgage to buy.

May have to release more equity to cover mortgage, probably down to 2 months payments left in the account.

Other option is to rent, although not best if you want to sell......and need the money here to buy our own place without paying someone else's mortgage !

Uk is still struggling from what I believe and the cost of fuel doesn't help with people's finances

I guess just need to stay hopeful

JET
Old May 13th 2011, 5:22 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JandG
We've had a lot of viewings, but they all come back with the same response...the state of the house that ours looks at puts them off (it desperately needs painting) - wtf are we meant to do about that!??!!

Having said that, we have recently reviewed our marketing strategy (OIEO, instead of a fixed price) and now have our first repeat viewing booked for Monday...
That's tough There really isn't much you can do about the house across the road! We have a similar problem - our next door neighbour has a rather aggressive sounding black labrador! He growls at everything and everyone and barks too, including at us through the hedge when we are in our back garden! He nearly scared our second viewers to death. I knocked on my neighbours door and asked if she wouldn't mind keeping the dog inside when viewers came over. She was happy to comply since she always seems so embarrassed at the way her dog behaves and is always trying ways to stop him from barking.

Good luck with your second viewing! Here's hoping this is it for you!
Old May 14th 2011, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Just a quick up date 2 weeks back on the market 5 viewings and we have now resold one in the chain below.
exchanged on Thursday we are off on the 17 June woo woo
Old May 14th 2011, 8:14 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

We exchaged yesterday and complete next Friday. A month of fannying around and then Canada-bound 23rd June. All seems a bit real now!
Old May 14th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
exchanged on Thursday we are off on the 17 June woo woo
Originally Posted by Funky Florist
We exchaged yesterday and complete next Friday. A month of fannying around and then Canada-bound 23rd June. All seems a bit real now!
congrats to both of you
Old May 14th 2011, 12:38 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Yay congrats to Funkyflorist and woodywoodside! No more viewings for us....have a nasty feeling we had our chance with the three we've had so far and are now in for a bit of a quiet spell!
Old May 14th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by engineer80
Yay congrats to Funkyflorist and woodywoodside! No more viewings for us....have a nasty feeling we had our chance with the three we've had so far and are now in for a bit of a quiet spell!
fingers crossed for you
Old May 14th 2011, 4:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
Other option is to rent, although not best if you want to sell......and need the money here to buy our own place without paying someone else's mortgage !
Surely that neutralizes your situation? Somebody helps with yours, and you help with somebody else's........

It also gives you the opportunity to try (an area) before you buy
Old May 14th 2011, 4:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Well two weeks ago we had two offers on our place, we accepted the better one, the conditions were lifted yesterday, we should complete on the 3rd June. I try very hard not to think about how much money we have lost, we've sold for less than what we bought it for and we put $25k into it but hey ho, I have come to terms with that. It's the broken dreams that's a bit harder to deal with. I had half hoped we would HAVE to move out there instead.

We're going out there today to start packing up. I will cry. I know we're doing the right thing selling it, it gives us the opportunity to pay off our other debts and to be able to do stuff again and just have less worry. It also means that we only have one house to sell when we move to wherever we decide we're going to move to in a few years.

The first of our rellies arrive on the 4th June, we've got to try and sell stuff before they come, pack up a house, clean a house, sell a house, clean the house we're in (contractor mess). Switch beds around (so we keep the best ones). Oh well at least I'll keep out of mischief

Good luck to everyone trying to sell a house wherever you are.
Old May 14th 2011, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we had originally thought that since we might be going to Canada on a TWP, it would make sense to rent out our house and then rent in Canada.

However, after a serious conversation with the boss (wife) we are going to sell everything we have

I just a had a depressing walk round my house to value things, and to be honest..... what a dump!!!

We have spent so many years skimping and saving, that the furniture we have is well past it's sell by date, and not even worth taking with us, never mind selling. Be lucky if we can give it away.

Then there's the house it'self. It needs a full de-minging, with fresh paint on every wall. Windows need replacing, bathroom needs modernised, the list goes on.

Here's the plan....

My dear old mum has a house in Spain and a house 30 miles down the road from us. She spends winters in Spain, and summers back home. I reckon she might let us move in temporarily, and store what little possesions we value, in her garage. This would allow me to gut the house completely, fit a new bathroom suite, and windows if required, and get the house on the market.

Even if we sell the house before we get to Canada, we would be saving £1000 per month on mortgage payments etc.

Suppose I better phone my mum now

Good luck to those who are getting worried
Old May 15th 2011, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by engineer80
That's tough There really isn't much you can do about the house across the road! We have a similar problem - our next door neighbour has a rather aggressive sounding black labrador! He growls at everything and everyone and barks too, including at us through the hedge when we are in our back garden! He nearly scared our second viewers to death. I knocked on my neighbours door and asked if she wouldn't mind keeping the dog inside when viewers came over. She was happy to comply since she always seems so embarrassed at the way her dog behaves and is always trying ways to stop him from barking.

Good luck with your second viewing! Here's hoping this is it for you!
Thanks...second viewing is, I believe, on Monday - I'm adopting the policy of trying not to think about it and hoping that I simply stumble across a pleasantly surprising email from our estate agents! It's not like I don't have plenty of stuff to occupy me...my wife is due to give birth on Saturday, we just agreed to buy our second car in Canada and I'm only week five in my new Canadian job...I love the quiet life!!
Old May 15th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

We took a gamble and have already sold the house, all it's contents and the 2 cars and currently live in a rented/furnished flat using the local buses. I hope we don't live to regret it as 12 months since we received the AOR but still no sign of being sent for meds.
Old May 16th 2011, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
We took a gamble and have already sold the house, all it's contents and the 2 cars and currently live in a rented/furnished flat using the local buses. I hope we don't live to regret it as 12 months since we received the AOR but still no sign of being sent for meds.
I don't see how you can make a move like this without it involving a pretty large 'gamble'...we've sold everything we own other than books, music/film collection, artworks and clothes (oh and the house, but we're hoping to get rid of that shortly)!!!

We moved here with my wife 32 weeks pregnant (baby is due on Saturday) and our cat. Everything else we will do from scratch - in for a penny, in for a pound as they say!!

I hope that everything works out for you!
Old May 16th 2011, 8:18 am
Done!

Originally Posted by JandG
I don't see how you can make a move like this without it involving a pretty large 'gamble'...we've sold everything we own other than books, music/film collection, artworks and clothes (oh and the house, but we're hoping to get rid of that shortly)!!!

We moved here with my wife 32 weeks pregnant (baby is due on Saturday) and our cat. Everything else we will do from scratch - in for a penny, in for a pound as they say!!

I hope that everything works out for you!
I agree, your damned if you do and damned if you don't. There's pros and cons to both sitting on it and waiting to see what happens and just sticking the house up for sale as soon as possible. Particularly if you are selling to unlock the equity in your home for the settlement funds you need, what is the right thing to do? We already know that no matter what happens with our visas, we aren't staying in Glasgow so what's the point of holding on to a house purely for the emotional attachment? Best of luck and hope it all works out for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.