Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To self-pack or not to self-pack?

To self-pack or not to self-pack?

Old May 28th 2019, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To self-pack or not to self-pack?

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada View Post
Well yes and no. Our employer was paying and organizing shipping so they wouldn’t let us deviate from that.
Sweet!

BUT the onus is still on you personally as regards goods accompanying and goods to follow. Have a good read of the wiki on this here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

Old May 28th 2019, 6:09 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada View Post

Well yes and no. Our employer was paying and organizing shipping so they wouldn’t let us deviate from that.
Nice to have but as Hurlabrick mentioned (as did I) the onus is on you for customs clearance / goods to follow etc., (which allows you to import your belongings free of duty) regardless of what they may have said.

Hope the move over goes smoothly
Old May 29th 2019, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Kathmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and Welcome to BE!
Thank you

Those pro/con lists are super useful, thank you!

We moved from a small, approx 70sqm, 2 bed terraced house, and took some of the furniture - queen and bunk beds (all of which were dismantled and packed flat) a couple of wardrobes and a chest of drawers, but mostly books, clothes records and CDs, and there were only two of us, and we took 90% of a 20ft container, so IMO you will have your work cut out to get the contents of a three bed house into a 20ft container.
We've been told that a 20ft container is roughly equivalent to two Luton vans, which is what it took to move us into this house from our old place, so with any luck we'll be ok. We're also getting rid of a bunch of stuff, so that'll help.

The thread seems kind of split between do it/ don't do it (which is to be expected, you've all had different experiences). We've got survey number 3 coming in about 15 minutes, which will hopefully give us a few straight answers (I won't hold my breath though).

You guys have been really helpful, thank you!

K