Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Self employment / setting up own business . .advice pl

Self employment / setting up own business . .advice pl

Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:49 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Self employment / setting up own business . .advice pl

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Great until you get caught. CRA can go back 7 years on your tax returns and further if they suspect fraud. Also if you get paid cash and don't decalre it you cannot claim expenses. If you don't keep receipts and get audited, they'll ding you on income only as you cannot prove expenditure. Is it really worth it?
If customers pay cash there is no paper trail for them to audit, Im not saying you can do it forever for the rest of your life and get away with it but there is a massive cash market in southern ontario and I would suspect the rest of Canada. As for expenses who cares if your not paying income tax on cash income and GST then expenses are a petty amount. Its all about using your common sense - again this is a commodity on short supply! The saying Cash is king is not around for no reason!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Refugee from Happyland is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mikey B
My fellow english immigrant has lived here in Ontario for 7 years now (he is actually the reason I moved) and has his own business since moving here himself in 02, all cash and he has done just fine.

Newspaper ads cost $50 pw in Burl which from my exp was and still is a goldmine!!!! Its all about initiative however that is a lucrative commodity!
Cash is good I agree, but in the hands of the greedy and unaware can lead to problems, you have to be a good liar and remember your lies. More specifically where and what to spend your ill gotten gains on.
Ex-pats moving here should be prepared for a far more advanced marketing machine here.
I have tried to help ex-pats get involved in face to face networking, chamber or commerce etc, but some valued British attributes have got in the way or clouded their ability to see the benefits
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:00 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Cash is king is not around for no reason!
I thought it was around.

You can still be caught out. An audit from CRA is not necessarily on a paper trail. If they have information (usually from anonymous tips) and come up with a figure you owe, however widely inaccurate, it is up to you to prove you don't. The burdon of proof is on the tax payer not the government.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

CRA will also consider lifestyle not just stated income.

Also, not declaring income is tantamount to theft from those that do declare.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
cash is good yes - but its more so that I can bill my husbands company in the Uk for the admin and site work etc I am going to do over here!
If you're billing a UK company, GST shouldn't be an issue. I'd also stick with the self-employed route. As a company, I think you'd need more than one customer.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I thought it was around.

You can still be caught out. An audit from CRA is not necessarily on a paper trail. If they have information (usually from anonymous tips) and come up with a figure you owe, however widely inaccurate, it is up to you to prove you don't. The burdon of proof is on the tax payer not the government.
I have a couple of clients who could not get caught because they did not leave a paper trail. The CRA does exactly what The Aviator says.

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Also, not declaring income is tantamount to theft from those that do declare.
Exactly so. Well, it is not tantamount to theft, it is theft.