Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Self build in Canada

Self build in Canada

Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:07 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self build in Canada

Greenhill

Thanks for taking the time to add al that content along with images/video. Much appreciated.

regards
James Mc
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:46 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks James. I'm not really a user of any other forums as I find the effort people put into this forum (for whatever reason and often not anything to do with Canada or Immigration) incredible. When I get the chance to do something like that (even if it's just copy and paste from my own notes), it's mostly a "thank you" to everyone else for making this forum what it is

Originally Posted by james.mc
Greenhill

Thanks for taking the time to add al that content along with images/video. Much appreciated.

regards
James Mc
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Sarahanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NWAB
Thanks for the comments guys. To put the 6000 sq ft in to prospectus the house is about 50 ft sq about the same as three terraced houses in the UK, because I’m building and designing the house my self it wont just be built to code but far beyond minimum requirements.

I’ll be using heat pumps to heat the place and solar panels to top up the electrical supply and will sell back to the power company what I don’t use, the insulation will be about 3x minimum requirements. So initial calculations are that the running costs based on current Canadian prices even at –30 c in winter shouldn’t be much more than my house in the UK.

Ok the initial outlay will be high for the panels but they will pay for them selves in about 8 years the heat pumps give you about a 3 to 1 ratio for your heating so you pay $1 for the electric and get $3 of heat, obviously you don't pay anything during the day the panels supply the power, I’ve got a cracking deal on the heat pumps from the father in law who fits them they will pay for them selves in 2 years, as far as maintenance is concerned as it’s a new build there shouldn’t be too much to maintain for some time. As far a clearing the site we’ll only partly clear it, like the idea of having trees all round, and the site clearing party has already been arranged that’s gonna cost a trunk of beer and half a cow on the bar b. septic tank and well have been sorted about 10k ( a friend of a friend ).

I’m sure the Ram truck with the plough on the front will do most of the drive way clearing that’s if I need to go anywhere in my ‘ twilight years’ probably fill the basement with food and just sit in the window and wait for it to melt in the spring
Hey go for it, dont let anyone put you off, this is your dream, not theirs, just for the record, we have a lovely walkout bungalow on 10 acres, and we only cleared the drive way, which is about 500 metres plus long a couple of times last winter, it was dead easy with a tractor, along with my elderly neighbours who love pottering in their tractors too, as opposed to our friends in the city who have to shovel their driveways every morning,,, phew not us!!, and besides if you have awd/4wd you wont have any problems. We have a septic tank, and boy it is fab, we empty it every 12 months for around 200 dollars, we dont have a well, but our quarterly water bill is less every 3 months, than it used to be in the city every month, due to the septic tank. Our neighbours have panels for power, and they work well too. Keep your trees, they will give you shelter, enjoy you will love it!!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NWAB
the basement will be done with ICF blocks it's quite an easy construction method and as you say quite a high R value problem is the R value you get is all you can get unless you put up internal stud work and insulate that as well. as I said in my last post with the stud construction I can easily increase the dimension of the stud to allow for thicker insulation which will not add too much to the build cost but allow another 2" of insulation
But surely, insulating the basement (stud's, fibreglass insulation & vapour barrier) is a given anyway? Using the styrofoam blocks as concrete forms is meant as extra insulation not replacement for a properly finished basement?

And for the record, my only skeptism is on your well and septic costs based on my own research particularly with respect to wells. I'm interested in your project inasmuch as if I were ever to build a house I'd be looking to do some of the same things. Sadly though there is no feedin tariff mechanism for electricity generation here in NL.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

NWAB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Sarahanne for your post,

It’s going to be a long process, but eventually we’ll get there and hopefully will end up with the ‘ dream home ‘ that we want. Any project of this size is fraught with difficulties, but all you can do is take them one at a time and resolve them.

At this stage I’m just gathering information, finding out what is out there then I can decided what I want to put into the house and obviously what I can afford

The snow really doesn’t phase me, having a Canadian wife, who laughs ever year when England closes down, because as she calls it a ‘HEAVY FROST’ or as we call it 2 inches of snow . changes your out look on snow. You just get the right tools to do the job be it a snow shovel or a Tractor what ever you need to get it done.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:15 am
Just Joined

NWAB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Atlantic Xpat for your post,

Apparently according to all the manufacturers instructions and ‘you tube’ vids your ment to be able to put the gyproc straight onto the ICF block to create a finished basement. There are plastic fixings moulded into the ICF blocks which take the gyproc screws. The average R23 value ( depending on which manufacturer you go for) of the blocks are above what is required by building code, which is fine unless you’re an awkward person like me that whats more..

Hopefully all the electric companies and or the governments will wake up and realize that with the spiralling costs in fuel bills ( the UK has just announced an 18.1% rise in electricity next year GULP ) something has to be done and we all will be able to get a decent feed in tariff to make the cost of installing this new technology worth while

I’m sure that actually building the house will be quicker than the amount of time I’ve spent researching products on line now. Hundreds of hours, but it will all be worth it I’m sure, at the end of the day.