security work

Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: security work

Originally Posted by Markhollyjack
We'll I have a job offer over in comox, and they have said they can sort the lmo, I will have to speak to my immigration people then as they are also assisting finding me a job. Do you know what provinces would be willing to do lmo for a prison officer, I am now confused as the immigration "experts" seem to think I will be fine
No Province will do an LMO for a prison officer. You must be either a Permanent Resident or a Citizen to work for correctional services in Canada - the same with the Police Forces.

I hope your 'immigration experts' are not charging you to find you a job as that is illegal in Canada. It is also illegal (in Canada) for them to give you paid advice about immigration matters unless they are a member of good standing with their law society or else are members of ICCRC http://www.iccrc-crcic.ca/home.cfm

If the company in Comox can get an LMO approved you will be able to apply for a TWP when you arrive in Canada (which is good news, congrats) but if you want to get PR you will be limited to the streams you can apply under as a security officer because it isn't classed as 'skilled'.

Just as a matter of interest, the 'immigration' company doesn't start with a 'B', a 'G' or an 'I' by any chance does it?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you are being rude, I just wonder why you would think that I would look at moving without thinking this through.... I am only looking for security work as it will be a short stop until the prison or police take me and after speaking to some security firms and g4s they would be happy to start when I arrive, this is the same for some of the correctional workers, I have been advised by most of the correctional and security firms that once I have landed, I should go see them. Does that make sense
Many a true word spoken in jest.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:35 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

We'll I have a job offer over in comox, and they have said they can sort the lmo... Do you know what provinces would be willing to do lmo for a prison officer....
Kelowna...Comox...any province at all. Do you think an aspiration to move somewhere you really want to live in is important, rather than just taking pot luck?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Markhollyjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Please listen to Siouxsie!! Or at least read & research the points she, and others, have made.

Who, or what, are your "immigration people" ???!!??

If you google "prison/correctional officer" jobs in Canada, (I haven't - going on memory here) I think you will find they require a minimum of PR status.

How long were you in (which?) army, which branch, what skills did you acquire? This info might help us orient your research.

SB
I'm sorry, I thought I was listening .....and taking on board what she had said which is why I asked for advice, I was only trying to get further information but if that is taken as me not listening then I must be ignorant. But I served in the British army for 4 years as an infantry soldier completing tours of Iraq , I have also been a prison officer for 5 and a half years, and I have been accepted to join the police service over here, so my background is basically security, I am only on here to get helpfully advice, I have only told you what I thought would get me answers, such as, the security company in comox are more than willing to apply for an lmo for my position based on my experience. I just didn't get how they can say they would do it if it is not on the list. And as for my immigration "people" they are global visas, assisting me in my visa and relocation needs, they are also applying for jobs, not all of them in British Columbia but as that is where I wanted to be I was trying to gain some information as to if this would be possible
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
Kelowna...Comox...any province at all. Do you think an aspiration to move somewhere you really want to live in is important, rather than just taking pot luck?
You must know my life, all I Am saying is I have a job offer in comox, but that's not where we want to be, I want to be in kelowna, and was just asking for some advice on if this would be possible, not advice on have I actually thought this through, I was only asking a question about security companies and there likelihood of taking me as a foreign worker which has been answered.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You must know my life, all I Am saying is I have a job offer in comox, but that's not where we want to be, I want to be in kelowna, and was just asking for some advice on if this would be possible, not advice on have I actually thought this through, I was only asking a question about security companies and there likelihood of taking me as a foreign worker which has been answered.
I know nothing about your life, but if you're going to spend tens of thousands of pounds emigrating and settling in a new country, my opinion is that finding somewhere that's a positive draw because it's where you truly want to live is important, rather than ending up somewhere 2nd or 3rd best, being potentially miserable and regretting the whole process.

Living in Kelowna on a security workers wage, trying to pay the bills with a new family doesn't strike me as an easy option - it's an expensive area for real estate, and the general cost of living isn't any less then the UK.

Last edited by R I C H; Mar 15th 2014 at 10:04 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
I know nothing about your life, but if you're going to spend tens of thousands of pounds emigrating and settling in a new country, my opinion is that finding somewhere that's a positive draw because it's where you truly want to live is important, rather than ending up somewhere 2nd or 3rd best, being potentially miserable and regretting the whole process.

Living in Kelowna on a security workers wage, trying to pay the bills with a new family doesn't strike me as an easy option - it's an expensive area for real estate, and the general cost of living isn't any less then the UK.
This I know is going to be a struggle, but it is where we want to be, so I am now confused, it is just like one person says yeah no problem, then someone says that won't happen, so it's stressful but I am trying to make it so I can just relocate with no issues which is why I started this discussion. To be honest we was going comox, hence the job offer but feel it will not be as good as kelowna which means I am back to the start on the job front. I am now just struggling to find any hope haha
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And as for my immigration "people" they are global visas, assisting me in my visa and relocation needs, they are also applying for jobs
Uh-oh. There's a search function on here. Use it.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I thought I was listening .....and taking on board what she had said which is why I asked for advice, I was only trying to get further information but if that is taken as me not listening then I must be ignorant. But I served in the British army for 4 years as an infantry soldier completing tours of Iraq , I have also been a prison officer for 5 and a half years, and I have been accepted to join the police service over here, so my background is basically security, I am only on here to get helpfully advice, I have only told you what I thought would get me answers, such as, the security company in comox are more than willing to apply for an lmo for my position based on my experience. I just didn't get how they can say they would do it if it is not on the list.

And as for my immigration "people" they are global visas, assisting me in my visa and relocation needs, they are also applying for jobs, not all of them in British Columbia but as that is where I wanted to be I was trying to gain some information as to if this would be possible
Please don't be upset or offended by any responses you get - they are all made with concern for you and your plans, they are not meant to offend.

Perhaps it would help if I went over the basics.

An LMO is a Labour Market Opinion which employers have to obtain before they can employ an overseas applicant for a job. They have to advertise the position for a minimum of 4 weeks across the whole of Canada and in a minimum of three different places (BC or other Provincial Government job bank website, newspapers, trade papers) and prove nobody in Canada is willing or able or suitable to do the job. It takes between 8 and 16 weeks for it to be processed once the application is submitted.

If they get an approved LMO then they can give you a signed contract and you can turn up with your approved LMO, the contract and $155 and get a Temporary Work Permit (TWP) at the border or airport. Your TWP might be valid for 1 or 2 years, dependent on what the LMO says.

A TWP doesn't give you Permanent Residency, it is exactly what it says it is - a temporary work permit.

To get Permanent Residence Status you have to apply to Canada Immigration under one of the 50 odd streams. If you are in a semi-skilled job, your options are very limited as to what streams you can apply under - there are Federal streams, family streams and Provincial Nominee streams. For BC PNP (Provincial Nominee Program) there are limited jobs that qualify under semi skilled unless you were prepared to go and work in North BC.

I know that your ultimate aim is to gain PR and preferably become a police officer, so it may be worth your while looking at the Police forum on BE here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79 - but you should be aware that the police forces in Canada haven't really recruited internationally for a while. There is also some good information to be had (particularly about any forces that may recruit) here: http://forums.blueline.ca/viewforum.php?f=24

Yes, I thought it was probably Global Visa's. They don't have a good reputation. I really hope you didn't pay them much money.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 15th 2014 at 10:19 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Uh-oh. There's a search function on here. Use it.
Excuse me.....
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:14 pm
Pea Brain

To be honest we was going comox, hence the job offer but feel it will not be as good as kelowna which means I am back to the start on the job front. I am now just struggling to find any hope haha
Why do you feel it isn't as good? Have you ever visited and spent time in either? Toured local areas as potential places to live, checked out schools, amenities, commuting issues etc?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:14 pm
Banned

Excuse me.....
He only meant that they have a bad rep on BE and many other places and suggested you do a search to find the various posts.. it just didn't come across quite that way!

Here's a google search of them - bad rep.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=globa...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I thought I was listening .....and taking on board what she had said which is why I asked for advice, I was only trying to get further information but if that is taken as me not listening then I must be ignorant.
Mark, I'm sorry if my post came over as aggressive. It was meant to be more of a "heads-up" reinforcing what others have already said.

Given the company you cite as "helping" you, you might like to google their name + the word "review", and/or check this site for OPs' experiences with them.

Despite my short 'n sharp replies, which can be seen as snarky, I do like to help, as & when I can.

SB
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Please don't be upset or offended by any responses you get - they are all made with concern for you and your plans, they are not meant to offend.

Perhaps it would help if I went over the basics.

An LMO is a Labour Market Opinion which employers have to obtain before they can employ an overseas applicant for a job. They have to advertise the position for a minimum of 4 weeks across the whole of Canada and in a minimum of three different places (BC or other Provincial Government job bank website, newspapers, trade papers). It takes between 8 and 16 weeks for it to be processed once the application is submitted.

If they get an approved LMO then they can give you a signed contract and you can turn up with your approved LMO, the contract and $155 and get a Temporary Work Permit (TWP) at the border. Your TWP might be valid for 1 or 2 years, dependent on what the LMO says.

A TWP doesn't give you Permanent Residency, it is exactly what it says it is - a temporary work permit.

To get Permanent Residence Status you have to apply to Canada Immigration under one of the 50 odd streams. If you are in a semi-skilled job, your options are very limited as to what streams you can apply under - there are Federal streams, family streams and Provincial Nominee streams. For BC PNP (Provincial Nominee Program) there are limited jobs that qualify under semi skilled unless you were prepared to go and work in North BC.

I know that your ultimate aim is to gain PR and preferably become a police officer, so it may be worth your while looking at the Police forum on BE here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79 - but you should be aware that the police forces in Canada haven't really recruited internationally for a while. There is also some good information to be had (particularly about any forces that may recruit) here: http://forums.blueline.ca/viewforum.php?f=24

Yes, I thought it was probably Global Visa's. They don't have a good reputation. I really hope you didn't pay them much money.

I appreciate your advice, it's just they seem to be telling me one thing, and then people like yourselves who have the know how tell me another. After months of planning and looking at it , it feels like I have now now got anywhere. So would the job offer with the security firm in comox not be sufficient enough to get me an lmo as I stated this to them and they seem to think it will be fine, why are global visas so bad haha
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Mark, I'm sorry if my post came over as aggressive. It was meant to be more of a "heads-up" reinforcing what others have already said.

Given the company you cite as "helping" you, you might like to google their name + the word "review", and/or check this site for OPs' experiences with them.

Despite my short 'n sharp replies, which can be seen as snarky, I do like to help, as & when I can.

SB
I appreciate that and I too am sorry if I came across in Any other way. I am just getting frustrated as the closer it gets to going, we seem to be getting pulled back....now. Need to have a long discussion with these global visas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.