Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security Clearance

Security Clearance

Old Apr 19th 2018, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

mcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security Clearance

Apparently you can transfer a UK security clearance over, but I only did one tiny government contract in Britain over ten years ago and I don't think they even got me to sign the Official Secrets Act.

The police aren't actually doing the security clearance in this case, they're just providing a document so that you can show you've kept your nose clean while you weren't living in Canada.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of

ah ok... so I guess what the police provide is kind of like a DBS check (used to be called CRB).
Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Understood - hopefully there's a member here somewhere who has been through it. I thought it interesting that a police check is only required if you have spent 6 months or more in the past 5 years in another country.. presumably, you have?

Calling Former Lancastrian!!!

You dont want to hear my views on the process of obtaining security clearance for my job
When I applied for my job I was only a Permanent Resident. The rules in place then were not the same as they are now. I used to hold TOP SECRET clearance in the UK having worked for HM Forces Army and needed this for my job in Northern Ireland.
On moving to Canada and applying I was asked about this and provided them with my previous employers details. Probably at the time of joining CBSA you just needed enhanced reliability clearance. This clearance was also required by Transport Canada to issue me with an unrestricted Airport pass. After many years the CBSA decided that all old employees would need Secret level clearance and this is now the required level for all new employees.
If working at an airport then this is revisited I believe every 5 years to meet Transport Canada's requirements.
Mine had expired so when going back to the Airport I was required to fill out the forms. I refused to submit to the credit check and they denied my clearance. I researched the legislation requirements and submitted a letter of appeal outlining my reasoning. Several weeks later I received my clearance.

Now obviously because I was already employed by the Federal Govt they elected to look at this differently as opposed to a person applying for a job.
My opinion these days would be to comply with what they want if not already employed.

This link also has some information
https://www.monster.ca/career-advice...rity-clearance
Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

FL- they wanted to do a credit check to get an airport cleareance?
Old Apr 20th 2018, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

The purpose of the Federal clearance process is to two-fold. One - to verify who you are and the other to make an assessment of your loyalty to Canada.

All vetting and clearances stem from this Treasury Board standard - https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=28115

Appendix B has the bulk of what you are looking for. Here it explains the varying levels and what is the expected outcome. From this each department (and in your case likely to be Public Works unless you go on a direct contract with another Department) then has their own directives on how to achieve these mandated baselines. Some have to overlay other requires, for example DND needs to meet NATO or 5 Eyes additional requirements for certain posts.

In essence for a Reliability Check (Enhanced or regular) the Law Enforcement check will be against RCMP databases. If you have been out of the country for example working or traveling then a police certificate from those countries will be needed. This is were it can get difficult. You will have to list where you have lived and worked - if it is even a small time in a country of interest (say Russia) then further checks may be needed. Each case is different and the assessor is making a risk assessment on your indentiy and loyalty.

For UK law enforcement you apply for the ACPO certificate (nice little earner for a private company - don't get me started.....) and through your address listing in that application they check records and then you get a certificate back. Get two, costs extra but worth it.

The financial check is a simple credit check (it is an enquiry that does not score against you). What they are looking for is a verified history - do you have different numbers of credit cards and bank accounts for example. If you have none in that name its a red flag. Additionally are you holding large amounts of debt which you have struggled to control. This comes to the loyalty bit as you are susceptible to compromise. Again, the assessor is making a judgement call on the likelihood that large debt and failure to manage may call in to question you being trusted with Government secrets. For the Reliability Check it is more about having a verified history.

The Security Officer of the company you are applying through is your first point of contact. They will answer your questions and should there be problems they will manage the case file.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Posting this for reference should anyone else read this thread later on.

If you are filling out the TBS form read the instructions very carefully. They audit the forms line by line and each occasion will result in referral back to you. Get it wrong on line 3 and back it goes, re-submit and line 10 fails back it goes.

Things that catch people out is the family section and they leave out half or step members. Don't, they want everyone. If you do not have full details for them put as much in as you can and then you will be required to provide supplementary information.

Also some people, especially military, will have worked in one location and lived there but maintained a family home elsewhere. For example I working in the UK and lived on the base but my family home was in Ottawa. They want the place you physically lived for the bulk of the time at that job. If you weekend commute then only put the weekday location.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
FL- they wanted to do a credit check to get an airport cleareance?
Yes. Now thinking back it might have been the local airport authority that required it in conjunction to the usual Transport Canada requirements. I told them that it was only required if you have been convicted of X and X offence which I hadn't so in my opinion it wasn't necessary. They argued I appealed and ended up getting the unrestricted pass.