Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Second Landing

Second Landing

Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

TheCanary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Second Landing

Hi everyone, me and my family landed for the first time in June 2010, then we returned to sort things out and now we are leaving for Toronto permanantly in July. My question is what is the procedure at the airport this time? Do i do what i did the last time, tell them im landing for the second time and go to immigration area? Will they need to see any specific documents apart from my passport and corp paper etc...

If anyone can tell me what I will be expecting it would be very helpful thank you.

'
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:53 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Landing

do you have your PR cards? did you clear your goods to follow on the first landing?

If so all you need to do is fill in the "residents" bit of the customs card you get on the plane

then the procedure is no different from when you land as a tourist , you show your passport , PR card,and customs card , answer whatever questions they ask ( usually none ) pick up your cases and leave

you don't need to go through the " immigration" part again

if you have goods to follow this time then you check that box on the card and they will direct you to customs to clear them.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

yes we have our PR and we did go through customs and get our good to follow forms stamped.

Nearly all our goods are being transported via freight, but what you are saying is, if there are any goods still to bring at a later stage,we have to have a goods to follow list again and get it stamped again?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:12 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

you should only have 1 goods to follow list
it should contain everything you ever intend to bring, even if they are being shipped at different times.

When your freight arrives you need to go to a customs building ( in toronto for example you go to the one on front street) they then clear your goods. Once everyhting has arrived they close off your goods to follow form and mark it as complete.

if your goods to follow form was initailly stamped when you landed then you don't need to worry about it until your stuff arrives
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

macarre is an unknown quantity at this point

I fell into the same situation. No, there is no such things as a 'second landing'. Once you have gone through all the immigration procedures first time you landed, you are already a permanent resident and you are good to show your travel document only. That is my understanding.
In my case though I had me permanent resident card with me as I had requested it first time I came. Not sure how the immigration officers will look at your case if you do not have one. However, believe it should not be a problem as you will be able to show that you have gone through the landing procedures.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

We did exactly this, and as we had our PR cards, we just arrived in the country, showed our pr cards and the nice lady (quite rare for a customs officer!) said "welcome home"!
That totally started off our new life the best way possible!
Good luck
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

The immigration man in Toronto greeted my (welsh) husband with 'bore da' (welsh for 'good morning') when he arrived second time around! He had his PR card and had no issues at all, and felt very welcome.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Ok so i tick the residents bit on the customs card and present that with my passport and my PR card.

Im also taking my silver jewellery with me so do I need to let them know i have all of it with me?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

NikiG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm in the same situation but we don't have our PR cards. We landed last October 2010 - papers stamped and had a 2 week trip. We have now sold our house and should be completed end of April. We finish work in a couple of weeks and then will be packing everything up. Looking at getting a flight early May.

We had fax a friend's address to get our PR cards sent there, but they haven't received them yet and I've recently filled in the online address notification form too.

In any case there won't be time for our friends (if they receive the card) to send them in the next 9 weeks from Vancouver to UK.

When we arrive in Canada, where would we go? I gather we wouldn't have to line up as the last time, as we have already done this.

Thanks for info and good luck to all who are moving like us within the next couple of months!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

It took about about four months for our PR cards to arrive so your friends should be receiving them any day now. Our friends also sent them to us via registered post. I assume you are also shipping all your possessions over. My question is do they need to check everything you are bringing with you in your suitcases or do you just go through?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Originally Posted by NikiG
Hi

I'm in the same situation but we don't have our PR cards. We landed last October 2010 - papers stamped and had a 2 week trip. We have now sold our house and should be completed end of April. We finish work in a couple of weeks and then will be packing everything up. Looking at getting a flight early May.

We had fax a friend's address to get our PR cards sent there, but they haven't received them yet and I've recently filled in the online address notification form too.

In any case there won't be time for our friends (if they receive the card) to send them in the next 9 weeks from Vancouver to UK.

When we arrive in Canada, where would we go? I gather we wouldn't have to line up as the last time, as we have already done this.

Thanks for info and good luck to all who are moving like us within the next couple of months!
Hi. We came back for good without having PR cards. The officer at passport control checked our COPR (which was stapled into our passports) and then sent us to immigration again to be "stamped through". They just asked a few quick questions about why we had been gone and what we had been doing and how long we were planning on staying now and then welcomed us.

Goods to follow had already been done, so just walked straight out through customs. (However when our stuff arrived and we went to clear it at customs, I was told off. There was some jewelery listed which they queried. I told them I had worn my jewlery rather putting it in the container and shipping it. Apparently I should have declared that when we arrived, as anything that is on the goods to follow list that you carry in you are supposed to notify them about, so they can cross it of the list.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you PebbleBeach that was very useful info for me, as i am going to take all my jewelry with me, i wanted to know if i was required to inform them.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

NikiG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Thanks for the info on 'landing' again! We are just coming with our suitcases and our belongings will probably arrived a month or so after us.

Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

I have another question regarding jewelry. I have a lot of fashion jewelry, made of ordinary plastic and metals with glass stones etc... and put all together it is really heavy, so can I pack all of it in boxes and send it through with my other stuff via the shipping company. From my understanding only precious metals are not allowed via freight. Can anyone confirm this with me. Thank you.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

good grief!

you just reminded me about when we were packing our stuff for shipping to canada!

i like to think im a bit of a bonsai expert and i have over 20 bonsai trees, ranging from 5 yrs old to 25 yrs and, come hell or high water, i wasnt going to leave the best ones here to slowly die off!

so what i did, was to very carefully wrap them up in wet newspapers, then placed them in several black bin bags, and packed them in one of the tea chests!

yes, i know, i know....youre not supposed to import plant material into any country, but at the time we were in such a state packing up, i never really thought about it.......!

so, anyway, we landed in canada, and a week or so later went to collect the stuff, and only then realised that we were gonna be in deep sh..., sorry trouble!

so i asked my mate as to what i should do, and he said just tell them what youve done, that you didnt know about it and......hope for the best!

luckily, gods angels or whatever, were with us that day, as the lady at the cargo customs place just shrugged, gave me a form in which to fill in what i had forgotten to mention on my original packing sheets, which were the trees, and that was it!

we got all our stuff, loaded it into a van, took it home and found it was exactly as we had packed it in london!! phew!

i mustve lost 10 pounds in weight judging by the amount i sweated that day!
we kept thinking that we' were gonna be kicked out of canada or sumink!

hell, this is probably how dutch elm disease came over to england and stuff!

anyway, the punch line is what you really want to hear.....the wife had placed the trees outside in our new garden in canada and hadnt realised what severe winters we were in for (we had landed in august)!

what happened? all my beloved trees died in that years winter!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.