Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

scotland to canada

scotland to canada

Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

zerocool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default scotland to canada

just thought id say hi since i just joined. me and my girlfriend are currently looking into moving to canada from scotland. im an electrician and she works in admin. kind of looking at 3 areas novia scotia, alberta and british columbia, just trying to find out which one appeals to us most and ticks all the right boxs as we are going over next year on a fact finding break. looked at a few places usa, oz ect but canada appeals the most to us. anyway nice to meet you all

del
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:03 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: scotland to canada

Hi Zerocool and welcome to BE

We moved from Scotland (Aberdeen) to Nova Scotia almost 2 years ago and love living here. There is no culture shock in NS and we think it is more Scottish than Scotland!!!

We live in New Glasgow which is a town of approx 20,000 people including the immediate surrounding towns of Stellarton, Trenton and Westville. There is so much community spirit here and always something to do. There are only 4 BE families live around here - us, the Dignans, Greenhill and on Tuesday Stevo and family arrive from Colchester to start living in Pictou County.

We are 1.5 hours drive north of Halifax (through Truro which is 45 mins away). We have a long sandy beach at Melmerby and are 15 minutes from the PEI ferry.

If you are into a more lively scene, then Halifax and the surrounding area may be the place for you. Abundant shopping, lots of bars, cafes, live music, etc. There are quite a few BE families living in NS and everyone certainly seems to be loving it here. There are many beautiful places in NS to live so I am sure others will be along to say hi.

Of course you will have many things to consider to get the best fit for you and your girlfriend so research, research, research, network and come over and visit as many places on your list as you can.

Here is a good NS website for you to view - Destination Nova Scotia. Order yourself a Doers and Dreamers brochure and don't forget to check out the BE Wiki pages - the link can be found at the top of this page.

I also know that as an electrician you will be required to pass the Red Seal exam. I am not too sure on all the info but there are some members here who have done just that. If you get no response on this thread about it then post on the regular Canadian forum on the main page.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:00 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would pop in and say Hi.

Have you also had a little look here as well http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97.

The forum isn't just for Canada so you will have to do some searching.

Happy researching

Cassie
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough

Hi

We landed in Nova Scotia, that was really great, we met really nice people, but in the end only found a few places that we would like to live:

Antigonish, (we did not go to Cape Breton unfortunately)
Falls River
Porters Lake
Chester
Wolfville
New Glasgow

However, we had a few kids in Tow, so we were looking for schooling, views, house prices, etc. perhaps too much on our agenda???

NS is a great place, but it's not high tech enough for my trade... At the end of the day we still need a job to get by, but the life style is great!

We would highly recommend that you go there and have a look.
June was great, as it was Lobster season, fresh 2lb lobster for £18, we were
amazed, it was out of this world

Everyone has different requirements, but we got a taste of NS and we feel that we made a good choice of moving to Canada, house sale permitting!

Good Luck and happy exploring

Bob